1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Just how touchy is RAID 0?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    So, they say that if you have 2+ SATA dives hooked together in a RAID 0 array, the drives could loose data if there is a drive failure. So what does that mean?

Does that only mean that you'll loose data if the drive actually dies?
    Or does that mean that mean that you'll loose everything, from Windows to that Mp3 file you just downloaded, if something so small as a power outage occurs?

I can understand that you'd loose any un-saved data if a power outage happens, but not everything on the entire drive(s)! Please tell me that you only loose any un-saved data. :rolling:

2. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

It means that all data will be unrecoverably lost if one of the drives dies. In RAID 0 the data stream is split and sent into the caches of the two drives to enhance the data transfer rate (marginally). Each drive gets half of the information. There are no redundancies, i.e. if one of the drives is stone dead, you will have lost everything.

Something as unspectacular as a power outage (which doesn't kill the hardware) will have no effect on already saved data.

I don't see the point of RAID 0, however. It isn't that fast (from all the benchmarks I've seen) and you risk losing data on two drives instead of just on one. Even if this possibility is unlikely. Up til now I haven't even had a single bad sector on any hard drive I've ever owned.

Buy yourself another drive and set up a RAID 5. ;) I guess you'll learn a lot...

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Essentially with RAID 0, you are trading a performance increase (which as Darkthrone said could be a marginal increase) and a doubling of storage capacity (two disks are treated like one of twice the size) for twice the probability of data loss compared to a single disk.

Offhand, I would say the amount of data lost due to a drive failure/glitch is the same regardless of RAID 0 or not.

4. Kitrax

Media:
    I see. Well, I have been thinking of RAID 5, but I'd have to buy a controller card for it...the mobo I'll be hooking it up to only supports RAID 0 and 1. :rolling:

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, what do you want to accomplish? If this is just a desktop box for personal use, why use RAID at all?

RAID 1 is good if you don't want to do any backing-up...

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Try Raid 0+1 if you're concerned about losing data but still demand the speed. Of course, you'd need four identical drives....

7. Kitrax

Media:
    Hey! I'm not made out of money here!

And as for BTA's question, it would be a server for a house of 5+ computers...so speed and reliability are a must.

I know for a fact that the mobo that'll be used supports RAID 0 and 1...but I'm not sure about the 0/1 or 0+1 thingy that Rednik suggested. :rolling: :rolling:

8. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Some of the newer mobos support Raid 0+1, I know mine does.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Personally, I don't see any use for anything other than Raid 1. Though it does make backup a LOT easier, especially if you're constantly updating things.

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Used to be, with 6 and 2GB drives, the tolerances were enormous. Not much heat, lot of room for expansion.

It's competely different with 20 and 400GB drives.

Drives these days routinely get warm to the touch. 40C. The one thing that will increase your odds of living successfully with a Raid-0 is keeping your drives cool. Personally, I use 3-in-5.25" converters. It takes up the space of two 5.25" spaces, and it holds three 3.5" hard disks and a quiet 80mm fan. Picked them up for $30 in my part of town, but I'll tell you that anything is better than nothing. I also have a couple "surplus" removable caddies that cost me $10.

You don't need nothing (or "anything" if you're north of the Mason-Dixon) fancy like an aluminium frame and a thermal pad, or watercooling. Just a simple fan blowing across it will keep temperatures down, and your reliability up. If you really wanted to make it easy, you can fit a 60x25mm fan right in front of the normal cage of most cases. You'd pull your hard disks out, stick that fan up in front of them with the label-side blowing into the case, and put your hard disks right back in. The fan won't fall over, and it won't start knocking against anything (unless the cord gets in the way; just tape it).

Nice, cool, reliable Raid-0. You can really tell the difference anytime you're working with large files. It does make a difference with games, but not as much as you might expect since they use file-compression these days. You'll notice it defragging faster.

11. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Modern hard drives are pretty reliable anyway. It all comes down to whether you want to fork out a bit more to do another RAID version, or whether you can't afford it.

Personally, I always choose striping.

EDIT: I do not use my computer for business or money-related issues. If you do then you might not want to risk it.

[ January 31, 2005, 23:19: Message edited by: Yirimyah ]

12. Phase Demon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The reason why you don't see bad sectors as often as before is not because hard drives have become more reliable. It is because hidden spare sectors are put on the drives. Once a sector is declared bad a spare one takes its place, without you knowing. This happens at low level. It is just PR stunt to keep the customers happy. At least before you could use the appearance of bad sectors as a sign to change your drive.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.