1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Katrina Aftermath Raises Questions of Race

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Cúchulainn, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

source

2. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yup.

IIRC New Orleans is about 2/3rds African-American, and a significant number of these are poor or working poor.

People say, "Why didn't they leave? They heard the warnings." But exactly how could they get out of the city? If you didn't have a car, and especially if you're responsible for a family, including children and the elderly. Airplane and bus services shut down completely. Should they have walked (I heard of one veteran bicyclist getting out of NO that way, but that's not really so helpful for a family, is it?)

Did anyone think of busing the poor out of NO, before the storm?

Actually, a number of tourists were also stranded in NO, for the same reasons: no way out.

Of course, while looting for food is completely understandable, violent theft, rape etc are not at all. But I'm concerned that incidents of violence, perpetrated by a very small percentage of storm victims, will be used to paint the majority of victims as somehow responsible for thier situation. This should not be allowed to happen, and there should be a full, open accounting of all the bad decisions that have been made, and are continuing to be made, which have worsened the situation.

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yes I read the area of land affected is the size of the UK but if you don't have a form of transport, you can hardly walk such a distance.

Being told to evacuate is all well and good, except when you are not told how or provided with a means to.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Looting of grocery stores is entirely understandable -- as is the raiding of clothing stores. Guns are a different matter -- although I would certainly try to procure one if I were in NO right now (maybe three or four with a few hundred round of ammo).

Race is always an underlying issue in America. I'm astounded that the press (who likes to tout itself as being fair and unbiased) has been so blatantly racist, but I'm not surprised.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmmm... Astounded, yet not surprised? Is that possible? :lol:

I would have been more surprised if the captions were from the same agency. Given that they were from different agencies, it's tough to call it racism with any certainty. It may have been that one thought taking food was still looting while the other felt that under the circumstance they didn't want to be pejorative, so they said they "found" it rather than "looted" it and race wasn't a factor at all. Or maybe it was... <shrug>

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Snopes has covered this story: Snopes

Part of it is what BTA said. The people who wrote the two captions explain it like this (paraphrase, see Snopes for detail):

"looting" - The person who took the picture witnessed the individual take part in the looting of a store. The store was broken into and entered for the purpose of procuring items.

"finding" - The person who took the picture witnessed the individuals recover items that were flowing on the water out of a store. They did not enter the store.

So, if these accounts are true (keep in mind they came from different agencies, so collusion is unlikely), it seems that the terms were applied properly.

Besides, does anyone really believe that ONLY blacks are looting? That is just silly.

7. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

No, but I do believe blacks are the only ones looting rims.

Edit...

I'm sorry...

I've cried like five times over this thing. Callous humor is not helping. I was thinking of driving down there and trying to help somehow, but I have school...

My grades are more important to me than all of their suffering and that makes me want to cry again.

[ September 03, 2005, 05:09: Message edited by: Late-Night Thinker ]

8. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Race is mostly an invisible issue; i.e., not mentioned, although the faces of the refugees at the Superdome and in the streets are overwhelmingly black. The ones who lacked the means to escape. Aaron Brown devoted a large part of his news program on CNN tonight to this question, addressing it with great frankness. He is the first reporter I've seen do this.

9. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

If all that was taken was food that would have otherwise been wasted, and nobody was hurt in the process, why, then must the one accused of looting be made out to be a criminal. Technically, the food "found" didn't belong to the finder, so basically it's the same sin. Judge not, lest ye be judged. If they want to split hairs, then I'll accept this invitation to do likewise: The photographers and reporters in that case are guilty of having faulty priorities, as they were more concerned with taking pictures than helping those in need...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.