1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kensai?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by CrayZHorse, Jan 20, 2002.

1. CrayZHorse Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I apologize for the back to back posts, but I have yet another question!

As stated before, I am using a Fighter for my first go-through. When I do my second pass, I would like to have a bit of advance knowledge.

Most people tell me that the Kensai is an incredible character to us. Damage bonuses, two fisted fighting, etc.....

How about some feedback from the Kensai players in the group?

Was the kit worth it? If so, how did you get past the horrible AC?

If Kensai is a boring, tawdry kit...could you please give me advice as to which kit to use?

On my second go-through I would like to run an evil character.

Thanks again...

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

3. Lord Sarevok Guest

Kensais are indeed powerful, and there are many ways to get past the horrible AC. I just don't like this class because of the fact that you don't have any spells or theiving abilities, which is half the fun for me. Try a kensai dualed to a theif or mage at levels 9, 12, or even 13, it'll be a lot more fun.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I have a kensai mage at the moment, having an AC of -10:

-dex-18
    -kensai kitbonus
    -single weapon style
    -cloak of protection
    -robe of the apprenti (AC 3; like elven chain +2 (-> not on pure kensais, for mage combos only) )
    -ion stone with +1 AC bonus

To bost my relative AC I used various girdles (g of inertial barrier, g of piercing, g of blunntness, golden g) and the boots of avoidance. However, I ended up sacrificing the extra protection for extra bunch using the boots of speed and the girdle of frostgiant strength. The cloack or mirroring also has some neat advantages.

5. DemoGorgon Guest

I also had a Kensai/Mage, and thought it was a great character, they go good together. Even if you dont dual, they are great fighters.

6. Lord Sarevok Guest

Ragusa, you forgot to mention that's an unlegit multiclassed kensai/mage, which IMO is overpowered, as are all multiclasses with kits.

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Nowhere in Ragusas post is there anything that suggests he is talking about anything but a dc Kensai/Mage.

Indeed a mc - cheated :almostmad: - Kensai/Mage is very much overpowered for ToB, but not so much for SoA.

8. Lord Sarevok Guest

No, we talked about it in the chat room, so I know it's a multiclassed.

9. *cough* powergamers *cough*

Sorry. I never like the ideas of an overpowered K/M. Kensai, sure, but I just find that taking advantage of the 'no armor' penalty of the Kensai too powergamey, if you will.

10. CrayZHorse Gems: 2/31

Someone also told me that a Dwarven Berserker would kick a ton of tail if you equiped him with Crom Faer (sp?) and the Fortress Sheild.

I'm leaning towards a bard for my second go-through. But I am still open to any ideas you may have as to what would be a "fun" character...

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    A dwarven berserker (basically: every fighter) with appropriate strength will *always* deal out tons of damage - even without crom and the fortress shield. The fortress shield (excellent btw) will only take his chance of a critical hit (for deying him single weapon style bonusses) and crom would add some estimated +7 points on damage (due to str-25 compared to 21) ... crom :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: period

As for multiclassed kensai-mage: I indeed tweaked that char a bit, and I have to agree that it indeed seems a little overpowered ... I, however, had a pretty hard time with it in the early stages of BG-2 SoA (until I hit the x-cap - I entered ToB with about 4 Million xp) ... I really like to play it this 6th or so time through and since I don't harass people to follow my example this shouldn't be anyones problem ...

btw - http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004601.html

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited January 21, 2002).]

12. CrayZHorse Gems: 2/31

While we are on the class subject...anyone have any preferences for Paladin kits?

13. Amber Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] A question, don't know if it fits with the original subject though. I made a mc kensai/mage once, just to see how powerful they were, didn't actually play with it.
    However, I found that the spell Stoneskin was shaded, that is, couldn't be used by my character. Is that really how it's suppose to be or was there something else wrong with that char?

14. void Guest

Kensai can be a great class on it's own though it works best if you can have another tough fighter to absorb the damage. If you planned to dual to a mage then it's best to do it at level 9 (get a new prof.) or 12 ( gets the thaco bonus and +1 attack per roung in one level).

Cheers, Void

15. Shi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree with Void...I'm still on my first run through SoA, with a Kensai. I was planning on dualing, but then changed my mind. I'm glad I didn't dual. I have a mage in my team, and prefer the pure class. Having Minsc in there to soak up the hits helps my Kensai out.

It's hard at the start, because of the high AC. But during the game you can lower that, and some potions to set your AC to 0 come in handy early on.

As for armour...well, I think the character looks better without it!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.