1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kickstarters? What do you think of them?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Blades of Vanatar, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

(*not sure what category this belongs in, feel free to move it)

I'm a contributor to Project Eternity. I hope the game spawns into something I will thoroughly enjoy.

I see tons of stories about all of the various Kickstarter type of developments happening in the gaming community. I don't think I will be committing anymore cash. At first I thought it wasn't a bad idea, as I personally feel the type of games that I prefer were lacking and supporting their development could only help to provide more games for all of us to enjoy long term.

Then, I started a thinking a little harder about it. I'm a picky SoB. What are the odds that even a small majority of these games will even be in my preferred category? Dragon Age sounded good, but I hated it after a few hours of play. Same with several of the Elder Scrolls games. So, I figure if I keep dumping cash into the kickstarters, I will probably end up dishing out several hundred bucks and could possibly end up not playing any of the games that are developed with my donations. So the big question I have to ask myself is...is it worth it? I don't know the answer as of yet. I will admit I am picky when it comes to gaming. I acknowledge the fact that a lot of you guys have a broader range of games than I do. Also, I admit it's a big plus in immortalizing SP in the games, regardless if I actually play them.

What do you guys think of the various Kickstarter programs out there? Are you contributing to many of them or just what you feel you will actually play or to none of them?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've contributed to a few (Sui Generis, Dreamfall Chapters and Project Eternity). And obviously I only contribute to a game that I think I'd play; I'm not sure why anyone would contribute if they didn't think they'd like the game.

I really like the Kickstarter idea given what GPG said about the raw deals developers get with publishers when they need the publishers to front them money. I mean GPG made some popular games but was still always on the edge moneywise until finally bad luck took them under. I'd prefer most of the money go to the developers and not the publishers.

3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I'm on the fence about them anymore. They seem like a good idea for the reasons already mentioned, and I like unfettered grassroots innovation, but I recall seeing some dubious-sounding ones popup more recently ... the equivalent of 'Bring Christina Aguilera Back to The Voice Kickstarter!' :confused:

Also, in a weird way I feel like I'm paying for the same thing twice. I pay for the development, then I also buy the finished product. Still, anything that pushes the suits out of the picture has to be good in the end.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What do you mean pay twice? You pay up front and get the finished product if/when it's completed.

5. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah thought this might have had to do with this story going around right now. There are a few games I can't wait to buy & play, but didn't back because I only found out about them after the fundraising, mostly the carmageddon remake and the game that's as close to dungeon keeper as it can be without getting in legal trouble.

If kickstarter can be the means to resurrect a franchise that still had life left in it, I'm all for it, but I guess we all have different ideas on how much life was left in different franchises. As for the batch of kickstarter 'games inspired by', or 'evokes feelings of', I'll usually steer well clear until the hype has settled and we get something concrete to judge.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not keen on the idea of paying for something that I might possibly get in the future some time maybe. I'm more keen on see product, buy product, have product.

7. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Is that true for everything? Like, if I fund the Veronica Mars kickstarter, I won't be paying for my movie ticket at the theater?

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, I like this site. Kicking in a couple of bucks to have SP immortalized in a game IMO could be considered a worthwhile donation. Depends on the game genre of course. ;) I'm not real fond donating to have SP immortalized in a Barbie Dream House game... but a Metroid remake on the other sounds good.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Oh, I guess I don't know for sure, but everything I've backed is that way. For Veronica Mars I had assumed it would be a made-for-TV movie.

EDIT:
    Ah, just checked Veronica Mars and per usual at each level you get something for your money, and at $35 and above, you get a digital version of the movie.

Gaear likes this.
  10. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think it's safe to say that I will be putting my faith in very few Kickstarter campaigns. But for the select few that promise to deliver the type of games I most want to see, that I wouldn't otherwise likely ever see, and that are created by developers who I trust and respect, Kickstarter (and the crowdfunding model in general) is a godsend.

But yeah, on a site where someone can create a campaign, for example, to get assistance paying off their student loans... you are going to need to make sure you are really in synch with a particular project before offering your support.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    "Fund my life" kickstarters are actually against their TOS I read, so any such ones are supposed to get shut down...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.