1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Label that band!

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Kitrax, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, so I was at work last night, and a few of my coworkers and I were talking about music. One guy kept saying that Metallica was black metal, while another kept saying that Motley Crue is a 'Big Hair Metal' band, but not a glam rock band.

So I had an idea. I know a lot of the regulars here in the Sensorium are Metal Heads, I decided to make a thread where the bands listed get their appropriate label. Yes, I know that it's hard to label a band, and many bands qualify for more than one label, but let's try to be as specific as possible... :p

You can start your own list, or comment on other's lists if you like.

So I guess I'll start:

Metallica - thrash metal
    Megadeth - speed/thrash metal
    Motley Crue - Glam Rock/???
    Led Zepplein - Classic heavy metal?
    Queensriche - ???
    Ratt - Big Hair/???
    Rob Zombie - ??? (someone once told me he's death metal, but I don't think that his lyrics should decide his genre of metal)

Ok, so that's just a small list to get things rolling...so get on with it! \m/>.<\m/ :rolling:

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Punch that moron on the face, Kitrax. It's blasphemy to call Metallicrap black metal. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Motley Crue - Glam Rock/Hair Metal
    Rob Zombie - Traditional heavy metal
    Queensryche - Traditional metal

3. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Led Zepplin I-III was "classic" hard rock (arguably even blues rock) instead of metal.

Glam Rock pre-dates "Crue".

Izzy Stardust (I think I got that right) and the likes of the late 70s where glam rock, they where the step before "Pop Metal" in the muscial evolution chain. Glam Rock was arguably more sophisticated and narcissistic in it's decadance then the metal rockers of the 80s.

I'm 99% sure the Sex Pistol's "Pretty Vacant" was about the glam rockers.

Metallica is typically credited for founding Thrasher Metal so I don't see why anyone would call it black metal. That would be like calling Peal Jam adult contemporary or Nirvana alt metal.

4. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Motley Crue: While the majority places them (without being wrong) with bands like Poison, L.A. Guns, Great White or Britney Fox, which means the glam/sleaze rock scene of L.A. in 80s and early 90s, I place them next to bands like W.A.S.P., Twisted Sister, Lizzy Borden and Quiet Riot, which means tratidional american heavy metal of 80s, mainly due to their first two albums "Too fast for love" and "Shout at the devil".

Led Zeppelin: Hard/blues rock

Queensryche: It depends on which of their period you are reffering to. In their first period ("Queen of the reich" and "The Warning") they were a power metal band, in their second ("Rage for order", "Operation Mindcrime" and "Empire"), they moved close to progressive metal, and in their third period ("Promised land" and afterwards), they introduced too many alternative elements in their music. I haven't listened to "Operation mindcrime II" yet but from what I've read, it seems that they are returning back to "Operation Mindcrime" and "Empire" days.

5. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    HIM is emo metal :D

6. Kitrax

Media:
    Hey! You guys are only discussing the bands I listed! You are *supposed* to add your own lists too!

@Ara...they have been playing this one HIM song over and over for the past 2 months. I don't remember what it's called, but it's annoying. :skeptic: :rolling:

7. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I have only three categories.

All power, true, and other metal bands whose members wear tight pants, big hair and/or whose singers sing with high voices fall into "castrate metal". They are evil, because they make me cringe.
    Examples: Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Symphony X, Rhapsody, Manowar, Nevermore (most of the time), etc.

(I happen to like Falconer. I really don't know why.)

Then there is the good category, that contains bands who play powerful, driving music with "normal" voices (mostly thrash, industrial, doom):
    Metallica, late Pantera, early Sepultura, Slayer, Machine Head, Kreator, Grip Inc., Devildriver, early Life of Agony, Crowbar, Fear Factory, Meshuggah etc.

The last I call "black metal", but I really don't care which style the bands follow. It contains bands that play black, death, and other obscure metal.
    As long as the singers don't screech too much I'm happy. There are not much bands I like in this category:
    Opeth, Finntroll, and a few other cannot name at the moment.

P.S.: HIM don't play metal. They play crap. But don't let me stop you. It's your ears. ;)

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Fabius, you just listed all my favourite bands :D Power Metal and Symphonic Metal- Hmm, not much of a difference here. Symphonic Metal seems more refined (to me at least) than POwer Metal

Symphonic Metal- Symphony X, Newer RHapsody and Nightwish stuff (the last albums, I'd say)

Ara, HIM are Lovemetal, not emo. :D

9. Kitrax

Media:
    :lol: "lovemetal" :lol:

Oh man, that was great! :shake:

Do the Smashing Pumkins quallify as grunge? Some of thier songs are just too soft and slow to be grunge, so that's why I'm asking. :confused: :rolling:

10. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

They are soft rock/grundge.

11. Daie d'Malkin

@ Kitrax. I know, it's an oxymoron

12. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

the American Alt radiowaves use to refer to the Pumkins as Alt Punk back in the day when there was actually a coherent category known as "Alternative".

I miss those days. I miss the sound of grunge, progressive blues rock, alt rock, alt metal, alternative, and grunge rock.

Janes Addiction, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumkins, the old look Wallflowers, Stone Temple Pilots, Better then Ezra, Garbage (one of the few female bands I like) and the Violent Femmes. Yea those where the days.

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yay, genres. Last time I tried to start a thread like this I got bitched at for being 'confined by genres' and had everyone tell me 'Oh, I just listen to music I like - don't know anything about this 'genre' crap' :mad:

Anyway, good to see that people have moved in who have a healthy respect for the usefulness of genres :p

So, someone help me classify these bands:
    The Cure (miserable stuff): I've heard them called 'gothic rock' (however, I recently saw something by the Sisters of Mercy who people call definitive of gothic rock - I am doubting this one very very strongly, even though it fits my notion of what is 'goth'), 'darkwave' (whatever the **** that is...), or just general 'rock' (useless classification).

Opinions?

Also - Within Temptation's new stuff. While old stuff is clearly gothic metal, their new stuff (Mother Earth and The Silent Force) clearly isn't. Is there a genre for it...?

Hmm, that'll do...

14. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ok here is a sub genre of metal - Celtic Metal.

Most of the bands are Irish but not all. Some excellent 'Celtic Metal' bands are:

Waylander - Use tin whistle and bodhran in addition to guitars etc

Best song - The King of Fairies

Primordial - A very original black/doom band with excellent Irish singing, in addition to the normal black metal vocals. Sings about Irish mysticism

Best song - Spirit the Earth Aflame

Worst in Celtic Metal:

Cruachan - Uses lots of Irish instruments including Irish bag pipes, but unfortunately they sound cheesy rather than majestic. Sings mostly about Irish mythology, however they have a political side which does not fare well. The Irish melodies are of the generic and cheesy kind, which you will find in any US 'Irish pub'. This is a band to avoid.

Progressive metal - Andromeda
    Humppa - Finntroll, Moonsorrow
    Doom Metal - Mourning Beloveth, My Dying Bride
    Thrash - Testament, Overkill
    Power Metal - Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Edguy
    Traditional - Judas Priest, Tank, Raven
    Death - Morbid Angel, Death, Vader, Dismember
    True Doom - Pentagram (US version)
    Eastern folk Metal - Pentagram (Turkish version)
    Viking Metal - Mithotyn, Amon Amarth, Ensiferum

Some crazy metal that defies catagorization - Sigh

15. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I have a bit of a problem with lumping both Alice In Chains and Nirvana under the grunge tag, because they really don't sound alike. Around the time of AIC's first album, they were classified as metal. The term grunge wasn't really in wide use yet. For their second album, their sound didn't change *that* much, but they were hailed as grunge.

AIC sounds like heavy rock with country and blues influences. Nirvana sounds like midtempo punk. To me, if one of them is grunge, the other one can't be.

16. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Nirvana is grunge, no doubt. Alice in Chains is medium/heavy rock.

17. Kitrax

Media:
    @Aikanaro: In my mind, the Cure is '80s alternitive rock. They are definatly *not* 'gothic rock'. :rolling:

18. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The Cure and Sisters of Mery are 'New Wave'.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

... then what's 'gothic rock'?

20. Daie d'Malkin

Older Within Temptation?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.