1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Laelit - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Elwithral Irenicus, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

This is a new RP that I have come up with. It was inspired by Christopher Paolini's Eragon. It is in a world that I have made up, yet not entirely. I have made up the village to start in, Laelit. I would ask that the people who are in this RP would make up new towns and countries, if they are are in need of mentioning another place and/or stating the next village to stop at.

Okay, description of Laelit. It is a bigger-than-average village, in the middle of a rainforest that is a big part of the inhabitant's everyday lives. Now the inhabitants aren't savages or anything, they are just as civilized as anyone else.The are huge hills, not mountains, surrounding them, and the nearest town is in 11 kayls, which are about 1.3 miles each. There is also the coast of the Jin Sea which is one and a half kayls away. The country's (Uigbi *yoo-ig-bee*) currency is called barons.

Now for races, there is humans, they are called humans. There's hobbits, gnomes, and dwarves. The only elves that the humans know of is the aquatic elves, who live in harmony with them. Laelit is mostly made up of aquatic elves and humans. (The aquatic elves aren't very different from the elves that you and I know, they don't have webbed fingers or anything, they are just in the ocean most of the time, and they are great swimmers. They use the power of any moisture in trees, the ground or anything else for their magic.)

So what I was planning on doing, was for the characters (I was aging them at around 16-19, level 4 in a class) to each find a mythical creature egg or chrysalis like thing, a la Eragon, and be bound to it. Such as Eragon to Saphira, the dragon. Now you can use any creature you want really, for example, pegasus, unicorn, dragon, phoenix, whatever. You can be any class, and be the son or daughter of a butcher, smith, farmer, whatever. I was thinking of some of us being friends before finding the creatures, and some of us strangers, or maybe even enemies. You can be almost any race as well. As I said, Laelit is mostly aquatic elves and humans, but you can make exceptions.

Humans : 45%
    A. Elves : 30%
    Hobbits : 8%
    Gnomes : 7%
    Dwarves : 6%
    Other : 4%

Names are of any origin, most probably will relate to the jungle.

I hope this is enough info, if not ask me in this thread, or in a PM.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

What about half-elves?

3. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31

Oh yes, there is half-elves.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Are all the usual D&D style classes available?

5. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31

Yes, or if you want to make a new one up, go 'head.

6. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31

I would ask that people would have different ways of finding their animal. Please. :)

And if you have not heard of Eragon, mayhaps there will be a summary somwhere on the Interweb.

7. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Can I RP a Kobold Monk, or maybe a Kobold Pirate or a Goblin Cleric? Playing NWN online has me all obsessed over RPing a Kobold... Are there Kobolds in this world?

EDIT:

Oh yeah, is this world somewhere in the D&D realms? LIke on a different plane or something like Greyhawk is to Faerun? What are the deities? Demigods? How does the magic work? Famous people we should know? (i.e. Drizzt or Elminster) Significant tribes or cities? Monsters? Undead? Evil Liches? Sorry, I'm just a Wh**** (rhymes with 'pore' :) ) for the history of regions.

8. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31

As I said, this is kind of a... "go with the flow" type of RP. I am not going to be doing all of the DMing, so if you find the need to create a god, or famous person, go right ahead. And remember that you are going to have an animal or creature to find, so be intelligent. I'm not really into the kobold thing, but go ahead:).

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@Joggajay but bear in mind that my character is a dwarf and is likely to be violent to kobolds and goblins and the village is not likely to be kindly disposed either :)

10. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

So how long are we looking for these things to hatch?

11. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Well it seems to be when you're ready Daie, mine's just hatched :)

12. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31

As long as you want Daie.

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm still getting a hang of how the background works, so my posting will be hit and miss. I'm searching the wed for info about Christopher Paolini and his books. :)

14. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    @kuemper, check Amazon.com and read some of the buyers' reviews. I did and found them interesting. More so than more general reviews from other sources. If I had time to go to the library I might read the two published books but I doubt I would buy them.

By the way, not all the eggs will hatch dragons. Of that I can assure you.

Note: The relationship of the finder and the egg hatchling reminds me of 'Dragon Riders of Pern'.

15. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31

Yes the author, Anne McCaffrey, of The Dragons of Pern commented on this book and said:
    I just finished this book so I was craving more. I wonder if the next book has come out.

16. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I am assuming that the creature from the egg is magical. Otherwise my character may have a problem since it looks as if everyone else will be flying all over the place. Please let me know what the rules are, Elwithral. You did say any animal and the ones you mentioned are mythical/fantasy animals.

The Travelers come from another country/continent. I haven't figured out why or how they got here but they are unknown in this region.

Traveler magic users are not dnd characters and do not play by 2-3.5 ed rules. They cannot be dual classed except they might have fighting skills, some more than others.

edit: If Anne McCaffrey liked 'Eragon' the book must be good.

17. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31

I did say any mythical creature at the beginning, and then just animal. So, that's my bad. Sorry. :)

18. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Nice post Nakia, I like the way you're setting things up here. This RP has really taken off to a fast start.

Us Rashemenians will have to watch out, or we'll be soon taken over as a large post RP! ;)

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

RPs always take off with a fast start and then slow down as they mature and then die.

20. Nakia

Media:
    Thanks Scot.

True Harbourboy, but I suspect there are several reasons for that.

1) Original posters either get involved in RL or lose interest and it is hard to get fresh blood. People are hesitant to join a RP they haven't participated in from the beginning.

2) You lose the original GM and no one wants to take over. (Kudo's to Scot for being brave.)

3) In a loose (free-form?) type people are afraid to be aggressive in posting for fear they'll mess up what others want to do.

I believe I was the last person to join the Laelit RP at least to date.

Elwithral gave us quite a bit of latitude and I took my time about joining. Actually I waited to see if Scot would take the Hobbit role and he did. :thumb:

Right now I'm very interested in P. Briggs 'Raven's Shadow & Raven's Strike'. An easy, fun read with a bit of change from dnd magic users. With the added element of 'Dragon Riders of Pern' (SciFi) I just really got into it. Right now I don't need a lot of imagination (weak on that) I just follow the two authors' lead.

The Travelers are the alien element here which is why I spent so much time on them. I don't expect the whole clan to play a big role but they are there if needed. As skilled fighters with an extremely competent Healer tossed in. There are 4 other Orders which could be used but for playing but 1 person with a sentient demanding companion is enough for me right now.

I would like information about them to slowly emerge but if anyone wants more info now they can PM me. I'll be happy to tell all about them.

My post had to have a slightly adversarial ending but vague and distant. Our little companions need to grow and develop.

They are companions not pets somewhat like familiars I guess but Rayenna will lose a lot more that 1 point of Constitution if anything happens to her Salana. Major warning: She may be out of the game all together.

Of course I would pick the Bard Order. I have zero musical aptitude-officially documented. So I hope no one expects me to write some nice song. Right now I just don't feel like another militant fighter role. Rayenna can take care of herself if needed but song is her weapon of choice.

[ January 13, 2006, 07:15: Message edited by: Nakia ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.