1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Laggy PC!

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Razor, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Razor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Hello, y'all!

OK, my PC is just lagging like crazy. My games are lagging, and when I try to open programs, it's just TOO SLOW! And sometimes when it lags, my screen just freezes so I can't do anything except press the power button to turn it off. I thought spyware may have something to do with this, so I ran Spyware Doctor and Adaware and I deleted 250 infections
    (178 - SD, 72 - Adaware). It STILL lags, Baldur's Gate lags, Warcraft 3 lags.... and so on. Is there a way to fix this? Are there better spyware/adware or virus removal tools. I've got Kaspersky as an antivirus system.

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Try Spybot, and stuff in Kitrax's thread.

But there's a chance all that spyware might have damaged your operating system permanently, leaving no alternative than a reformat and reinstall.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Wow...that's a lot of infected files...

Here's a few things to try since computer lags can be cause by several reasons:

• First, take a look at Kitrax’s guide to killing Adware, Spyware, and Viruses. If the two programs you use found 250 files, chances are, there are still more on your computer. :bad:
    • Next up, take a look at Kitrax’s guide to the System Configuration Utility for WinXP. There might be a few programs that are starting up each time you start you computer that you really don't need.
    • See if you have enough RAM. These days, 512MB is a minimum. If you can afford it, upgrade to 1GB of RAM.
    • Check the amount of free space you have left on your hard drive. If you fill up your drive, there's going to be a noticeable slowdown. Try giving the Disk Cleanup Wizard a go. Once it scans your drive, check everything except for the "Compress Old Files". Go: Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > 'Disk Cleanup'.
    • Find out if any program is sucking up an excessive amount of system resources. Press CTRL ALT DEL to bring up the Windows Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab, and then click on "CPU" to list programs by their CPU utilization. The System Idle Process *should* take up a large chunk of CPU usage, but check to see what programs are taking up more then their fair share. If you don't need them, or if you don't know what they are...find out what it is, but doing a Google search for the *exact* process name. If it's safe to do so...kill it.
      Next up, click on "Mem Usage" to list the processes in order of the amount of memory they are using. Use the same advise I gave from above.

A program like 'Registry Mechanic' might be able to fix those problems in the registry/file system so you won't have to resort to a reformat. :D
    Try that, and post back if the lags still persist. :thumb: :rolling:

4. Razor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Thanks, Kitrax, I'll try.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.