1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lakota Tribe Declares Independence?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Shaman, Dec 21, 2007.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Technically, this may belong to the AoLS, but it seems more curiosity than politics to me. Anyway, take a look at this: http://nz.news.yahoo.com/071220/8/3db9.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2007
  2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Interesting article. I wonder what the US Government's reaction is and will be. If the government tries to stop this by force I believe that there will be a serious international backlash.

I don't know how official it is but the Hopi Indians have kept themselves a separate Nation refusing to participate as citizens of the USA. Of course individuals have been acclimated but the group as a whole rejects the 'Westernisation' of their culture.

Who is next? Navajos, Cherokees?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't think that this will be much more of an embarrassment to the US than any other "Oddly Enough" news. Declaring independence is a good idea and all, but unless the majority of the countries around the world recognize their independence it's the same as if they hadn't done it.

And I seriously doubt anyone but Chavez and the like are going to recognize this self-proclaimed Swiss in the middle of the US.

I can't even find any mention of it in any of the regular online media, which illustrates how seriously this is being taken.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Good on them. Any idea how independent they actually are in terms of resources and such though? After all, if they don't have the means to produce what they need and have to import it all (from the US, no doubt), then there's little point because they're still just as tied to the US as they were before. If they're self-sufficient, then that's awesome, and good luck to them.

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I see more nuclear testing in the immediate future.

There wasn't nuclear testing in the Dakotas? There will be now. Just you wait.

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I heard from somewhere there were nuclear silos within Lakota terretories, is this actually true? Would be interesting for them to instantly become a nuclear power!

The chances of them succeeding in achieving anything is zero. I doubt the US government even needs to use any sort of force, there are like 9000 of them and they are scattered around the terretory so the chances of them succesfully forming any sort of economy is incredibly slim, let alone building up anything else needed independence.

7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    And yet they appear to have that right. Nice, but what if others tribes do the same? There must be some supreme court to deal whit this, perhaps even the UN. I just want to know what is going to happen next. I think that bush is not going to pull the troops back to deal whit this yet.

I hope they succeed and some nations have the balls to recognize them as a state.

8. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

That will be up to the UN security council, in which I see the amount of countries willing to recognize this ridiculous claim to be zero, this will not even be brought up to the security council. In fact I think this is just a desperate attempt to bring up the troubles these people are expiriencing to the mainstream media. I can't believe that the Lakota leaders are so stupid as to believe that this has any chances of succeeding.

In any case I hope it will help the public to pay some attention to their woes and get some initiatives from the deciders to improve the situation.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.