1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Last Week's Poll Results

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Feb 15, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Sorcerer)

What we asked:

Q: Which monsters in Baldur's Gate 2 did you find the hardest to kill?
    (553 votes total)

Dragons (181) 33%
    Liches (135) 24%
    Mind Flayers (130) 24%
    Beholders (45) 8%
    Golems (23) 4%
    Other (13) 2%
    Umber Hulks (9) 2%
    Pit Fiends (9) 2%
    Undead (all sorts) (8) 1%

Judging by the number of votes this poll received, I have come up with a pretty interesting poll question.

As it should be, dragons stand firmly in the first place as the toughest monsters in the game. We have been reading a lot of opinions on our message boards about the dragons, and this result confirms that they are still the hardest to beat for most people.
    Of course, there are some lame ways to dispose of them (Cloudkill in the fog of war comes to mind), but if you take them on toe to toe, you won't get away lightly.

Liches, the undead terrors haunting 2x2x1m tombs (ok, I suppose the one in the Gate District is an exception) are second toughest opponents. With all the magic at their disposal, it's no wonder. One Time Stop is usually enough to wipe out an entire party if they are foolish enough to take on liches insufficiently prepared and experienced.
    Now imagine how hard they would be if they were actually implemented by the book...

Mind Flayers are in the third place, with almost the same number of votes as liches. Personally, I think they are much more annoying and harder to beat than even dragons and liches. (I'm talking about groups of mind flayers, of course).
    You can throw every single protective spell you've got on yourself, and you still face a chance that they'll stat drain some of your characters to death.
    Nasty buggers, indeed.

After the dominant trio at the top of the list, beholders lag way behind in popularity. Only 8% of people deem them to be the hardest monsters in the game. I wonder if everyone was using the Shield of Balduran or Cloak of Mirrors against them.
    When I fought them without those items, they were VERY hard to beat. I suppose it's Bioware's fault for putting such items in the game. You can't help but feel sorry for them when you simply stand around and watch them kill themselves in oh-so-many imaginative ways.
    This, of course, is due to being equipped with the Shield of Balduran which reflects everything eye tyrants throw at you right back at them...

Next are golems, with half less votes than beholders. I certainly expected them to be placed higher in the list, judging by the amount of trouble people on our message boards were having with them. Adamantine ones are a force to be reckoned with, and even a high-level party may be in trouble when they come pounding mercilessly.

2% of people voted for the option "Other" than what I had in the list. The only tough monsters I left out that were mentioned in the poll comments are the balor the svirfneblin dug up, and various demons you encounter during the course of the game.

Last three "tough" monsters are umber hulks, pit fiends and various sorts of undead. Altogether they only scored 5% of all votes, so obviously people don't regard them as too tough.
    Even though vampiric level drain certainly classifies as one of the most annoying "new additions" to Baldur's Gate II. ;)

- Latest Poll
    - Previous Poll Results

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.