1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lasting RP threads?

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Ilmater's Suffering, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Any thoughts on what it takes to make a RP thread that seems to last longer then a couple of months? This forum is dead right now and it always saddens me when this forum isn't semi-active.

I'm not actually trying to start up a thread myself, but am more interested in getting an idea from the community on how to build good RPs for the future that have some actual staying power.

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I sometimes seem to have the same problem, people just won't stay. I've noticed that when it gets duller, people have a bad habit of delaying their turns, and sometimes not writing at all.
    "Dull" doesn't mean everything without any real action, but rather those points where turns get really short and nobody seems to be able to get the thing going.
    Generally, to avoid that, someone should try and do something. Speak to the other characters even when it isn't all that important, do something that catches attention, all that kind of stuff.
    And of course, the one running the plot (if there is a plot) should never dally too long. Some time might be fine, for example when the characters rest, but not when they have nothing to do and are clueless.

And about the plot itself, it is generally best not to have insanely detailed plan about it when you're starting the game. People might very well start feeling that their actions have no effect at all if the one GMing is determined to pull it all off. Railroading, if you will. And that means it might lose its attractiveness quickly.
    A general idea about the whole thing, the events that get the ball rolling and what will aproximately happen allow much more breathing space for those that don't want to follow the plot all too strictly (of course they should follow it more or less, otherwise it might get really bad))

Just my two cents. I hope it was worth something for someone.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Right on, Goli. That's pretty much what happened to the Morrowind RP, as well as Rashemen (without Scot's guiding hand it gradually fell apart). The same thing goes for the two RPs that I started. I thought theme without thinking of an overarching plot, and they died quick deaths.

But who can find the balance? Build too tight a story and you strangle your players; build too loose a story and you bore them. And the thin strip of land between...I don't think I could walk that line. I can help come up with ideas, but I'm too much of a perfectionist to properly administrate.

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Indeed, Felinoid, it's a problem GMs of all sorts have always struggled with.
    In this aspect, it is very different from storytelling. For if you tell a story, you can think up a plot and follow it completely, without any problems at all. Not so much in RP, where there are lots of people, each one possibly with their own plans or, at least, opinions.
    I guess it's impossible to walk the line perfectly, at best one can waddle along it, sometimes faltering and being forced to place a leg on one side or the other.

Won't stop us from trying, though :D

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    err...thats partly my fault. It didn't have a very structured storyline.

6. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I suspect getting imput from the players one what to do in non-plot essential areas, such as side quests might help. It seems like a lot of the old massive 1000+ post RPs had a lot of differing RPers working on it.

I know it just feels odd to not operate as a true DM and not have everything unfold as a surprise (or at least kind of a surprise).

I wonder however how much trying to operate as a DM is a problem. I notice that what makes for a fun pnp game when I DM is very different from what makes a fun RP thread. Namely in an RP thread I can't focus too much on character development because there isn't the dynamic that there is between me and my friends when we would play (it's entertaining for us to have to PCs get in an argument in the middle of the street after a bitting remark an elf rouge made over a lady another PC fancied).

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Morrowind is my fault since I started the RP thread. Real Life just got too hectic. I would like to get back to it. There is a loose plot for Morrowind and Fel and I have discussed it in FAI a little.

Rashemen lasted a looonngg time due to the participation of the players. When Scot wasn't able to continue it the rest of us pitched in and IMO did a good job. But there comes a time to end a game and for me it was time for Nakia to retire.

A forum RP is only as good as the players.

Summer time is also a slow time for RPing since people are busy with real life activities.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.