1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lathandrians vs. Undeads and Necromancers

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Master of Nuhn, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wanted to write a background for my Morninglord, that had to do with several undeads. But I am not sure about some undeads and how Priests of Lathander would deal with it.

Am I correct to say that there are 2 kinds of undead: The trapped or lost souls (like ghosts and wraiths) and mindless, walking corpses (like zombies and skeletons)?
    Undeads with a soul and undeads without one?

If so, how would a Lathandrian cleric deal with both types? I guess he would destroy them both. A zombie is a mindless creature, an aparatus created to destroy. He'd rether get rid of them.

A ghost could be good or bad aligned. He'd destroy the bad aligned ghost and help the good one finding its rest.

Is the soul of a mindless creature (zombie) already in the afterlife, at the place he earned or deserved to be?
    If so, how would a Morninglord react at good/neutral aligned necromancers?

Finally, would a cleric of Lathander use negative energy to weaken his enemies (not undeads of course)?

I got my views on these matters, but I'd like to hear your opinions...
    TiA

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I'm quite sure that clerics of lathander would never ever use negative energy in any situation. And as for the undead part, I think you're right there, though if a lathanderite would not find a way to put the spirit to rest it would probably banish the creature.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I don't know much about Lathander, but I can say that you can place undead into three categories: undead without souls (zombies, undead, other undead without an Intelligence score), undead with souls (corporeal undead with an Intelligence core), and souls (incorporeal undead).

A mindless undead, doesn't have a soul, of course, so I imagine creating a mindless undead doesn't change the soul of the corpse (which is now in the plane of his patron deity). However, creating any undead is an evil act, since undead (except ghosts) are beings of evil (even if they aren't of evil alignment). See Book of Vile Darkness for details.

Necromancers don't necessarily create or help undead. Spells of the Necromancy school can be used to other effects, so I imagine your character could in theory get along just fine with them.

Channeling negative energy is an evil act. However, the exception seems to be when the channeling is instantaneous (such as with an Inflict spell). So there's nothing evil about casting Inflict Serious Wounds on an Ogre Mage, for example.

4. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

@ Oaz: Lathander is the FR equivalent of Pelor.

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, thanks, that all suits my view on Lathanderites. :)

Something kinda funny pops in mind now. Seems it would be possible that a good aligned ghost could meet his evil animated corpse... Should be frightening, I guess.

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

That is the most sickeningly brilliant idea I've ever heard.

Would you mind terribly if I stole your idea for an NWN mod at some point in the future?

7. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Hehe, no problem. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.