1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Libya Exploding

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Taluntain, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Any bets on how long until Gadaffi's head appears on a stick?

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd like to think he won't last long, but he had a lot more resolve for bloodshed than Mubarek did. Plus, unlike Mubarek, he's insane. The more protesters he kills, the faster he speeds his downfall - since the opposition is also armed and now appears to substantially outnumber his loyalists. And at this point, given his brutality, I don't think he'll survive even if he surrenders. But I don't see him doing that.

I say a week. But we'll see. And good riddance.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ... or he'll be the victim of a kangaroo court like Suddam.

Any bets there's a black ops CIA room somewhere toasting champaign? I'd say Gadaffi probably pissed a lot of powerful people off with the heroes welcome for the Lockerbie bomber (convicted bomber at any rate).

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Can't tell for how long it will take, but he will be killed like the mad dog that he is, if he doesn't commit suicide before that.

And no, no CIA campaign. The Libyans will take care of him (and of his mercenaries) on their own. From what I saw it's currently hunting season on blacks in Libya, since Ghaddafi had his Chadian mercs fire at and deliberately kill protesters. He won't fare much better when the mob gets their hand on him. Think of what happened to those poor guys Fallujah.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I heard that he was actually using warplanes to attack the protesters. That seems... inefficient. I mean yes, you can kill protesters with bombs, napalm, or just good ol' strafing runs, but you'd think something like infantry, tanks, or even some mercenary groups would be the more effective method.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You would think that. But Gadaffi is a nutbar.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And they all came tumbling down.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

It's not what you do, but how you do it -- using warplanes probably makes for more of an intimidating show of force.

This guy is a weasel, though, he's lasted for a helluva long time. He might be able to slip through this.

9. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'll be VERY suprised if he comes out of the other side of this breathing.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    Aldeth,
    it's not about efficiency but terror.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Planes are scarier than infantry, mercenaries, and tanks?

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    It's not the planes, it's the dropped bombs. Mercs, infantry and tanks can intimidate a crowd just by being present (or be seen as an idle threat). You drop a bomb on a crowd from above, and it ain't so subtle. That's terror.

13. Ragusa

Media:
    My grandma and mom on bike were strafed when she was four or five (i.e. in 1944 or 1945) by some enterprising allied pilot, and they both only got away because they were able to first hide in an irrigation trench and were then taken into the basement of an adjacent building by a farmer. She still doesn't like low flying aircraft. It's not just the bombs I guess.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You don't even need them dropping bombs. Air raid sirens and low fly-bys by fighter jets over residential areas are enough to scare most people to the point that they're running into the cellars or bomb shelters. It's the looming threat of possible bombing that's more than enough. Fighter planes are LOUD and if you know that they're there with hostile intent, it's that much more frightening. You never know when or where they'll start bombing.

I was still a kid when Serbia sent their MiGs over here during our 10-day war... they only needed to drop a few bombs on the other side of the country (which we heard about on the radio) and it was more than enough to make everyone run for cover as soon as they neared any town.

Basically, you can achieve a huge amount of psychological terror with only a few fighter jets because they can cover and intimidate large areas in a very short time span.

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Infantry can be shot and tanks can be disabled with fairly simple explosives unless you have your own air force or advanced anti-air systems, warplanes are pretty much untouchable.

Gadaffi is hated by pretty much everyone even if he would get away I'm not sure who would have him. By massacring his own people I think he has sealed his fate. The world won't miss him.

16. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Isn't this the same piece of feces who was on the UN's Human Rights Council? I like the idea of an international body, and I admit the UN has done a lot of good in the world, but when they put him in that position years ago I lost respect for them, and I really don't trust them in the political arena.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yup - Libya is on the UN's Human Rights Council. I do not know if Gadaffi is the representative, but the nation itself is represented.

18. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

What's next, a pedophile in charge of UNICEF? Unbelievable.

Oh, someone mentioned that there's a question as to what country would take Khaddafi (I've seen it spelled about 12 freaking ways) and my answer is that the Chinese or the Russians would gladly take him in, if just for the sake of pissing off the US of A.

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LKD, this is just silly anti-UN talk. The spots are ROTATING on all UN councils to hear all voices, even scumbags. Would you prefer it if it was only Sweden, New Zeeland, Canada and Norway? The UN is meant to be for the entire world that means that sometimes people oyu dont like get a voice.

20. Ragusa

Media:
    joa,
    details, details ... nobody lets them get in the way of their anti-UN talking points.

Heck, we in Europe have Hungary and that strongman Orban rotating though EU presidency, and thankfully it'll be over soon enough. Same for Libya at the UN.

Leaving it with one country, say the US, would allow that one country to set the agenda, and that is precisely what is not wanted. So it rotates, and some crappy little country like Libya getting its turn as a regional representative (for Africa) is just the price for that. The US with their record of not prosecuted but admitted to torture are also not exactly exemplary - not that that kept Bush for instance from pontificating about Freedom™ (theoretically including the freedom not to be tortured) and human rights at the UN. Also, since sovereignty is dependent on the recognition of an entity as a state, states, the security council aside, are equals at the UN - crappy, miserable and thoroughly corrupt little Kosovo is as much a sovereign state as the glorious US of A. Often forgotten, but that what the UN is about - sovereign states. About all of them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.