1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Linux firewalls

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Right-o, a bit of background.

Back when I was still an Ubuntu sheep, I downloaded Firestarter to put some protection on my machine. Never was able to get it installed - missing C compiler.

Since Ubuntu f****** sucks, I then whipped out the faithful Slackware 10.2 - it's about the only distro which runs decently on the old PIII I use for the Internet. Fedora refuses to boot X because of a lack of memory, I have yet to get Gentoo to work correctly with my screen and FINALLY being able to start X, and I'm NOT going back to being an Ubuntu sheep - as opposed to them, relying heavily on the shell doesen't bother me the slightest bit, I don't mind scratching my head instead of having everything done for me, and to me, GUIs are bloated clutter that should be kept to a strict minimum.

Following the initial Slackware installation, I installed and compiled some additional programs I wanted, and browing on my flash drive, I stumbled upon Firestarter, which I had honestly totally forgotten about.

Anyway, I tried my luck installing it. This time, the C compiler WAS installed. Whipping out the good old compiling routine (./configure, make, make install), I started with the configuration, and I get an error about gconftool2 (or something like that.)

After some googling, it turns out that Firestarter is for GNOME, and that the missing tool is related to the GNOME desktop, which I do not have (much less want) - it was not listed in the list of packages, and I only installed Xfce anyway.

I'll be blunt - I *hate* GNOME, and I'd rather work in pure shell mode than deal with GNOME. Same goes for KDE.

So basically, I'm looking for other firewall options that doesen't require the f****** GNOME or KDE. I don't mind putting some effort into the configuration, as long as it doesen't take an eternity, say, like installing Gentoo from the minimal install CD.

2. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Personnaly, I don't like software firewalls much. I prefer to just put a router, which serves basically the same function, and is easier and uses less resources (read none).

Btw, indeed, Ubuntu doesn't come with a compiler installed. But you can just install the package build-essentials to have it installed.

Now, concerning firestarter, it says here that it should work with xfce. The sources you have of firestarter, do they come from the site of firestarter? Namely http://www.fs-security.com/.

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Firestarter is simply a frontend to manage the netfilter/iptables framework which is a part of the Linux kernel. So instead of using a separate frontend/software to control it, you could make an iptables shell script that gets loaded on startup. It is fairly easily done, unless you need a massive policy which is constantly changing. There are several guides available on the net and there are probably guides on the distro's forum as well.

If you do not want to make a script, then you could perhaps try Shorewall to manage iptables, it should be fairly decent. It does not have a GUI either though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.