1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for an External Hard Drive for my Laptop.

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, I know there are a bunch of "One Touch Backup" external hard drives, but I don't want those...I'm running out of room on my laptop's HD and I want to get an external HD to use as my C drive...that way I don't have to use my laptops HD, which saves a lot of battery time and heat.

So, do any of you guys know of a good external HD that I can use as the primary HD? It can be a USB 2.0 or FireWire drive...my laptop has both ports. :rolling:

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I like Hitachi drives. That is, if I was going to pickup one, that's the one I'd get. It's just an EIDE drive with an internal Firewire/USB converter (there's a USB 2.0 version of the drive). The Firewire will, of course, be noticably faster than the USB. I don't believe it has a fan blowing across it, but it's certainly got vents so it ends up being a moot point.

4. Kitrax

Media:
    I quess the term I should have used in my first post was "Windows Bootable"...which I found in Iomega's 120GB External Desktop HD
    It took a while to find, but I liked what I saw, and I asked Iomega if I could use the drive as my primary boot drive, they said yes, so that sealed the deal...now if I can only afford to buy it...

Christmas is comming up! Any of you SPers want to get it for me? :thumb: :rolling:

5. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Are you at least getting it off newegg?

6. Kitrax

Media:
    Where else? CDW, Amazon, Best Buy?!?!? I think not!

Note to all: Shop the egg (newegg.com) and you wil not only save $$$ but will be quite pleased! :thumb: :rolling:

7. C-F Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hi Kitrax,

That sounds like a pretty good deal (~1$/GB) for an external drive. :)

I always thought that 'bios' is responsible from where to boot, in which case its just a matter of how you format your external drive (primary,c:,bootable)...

Anyways, an alternative would be to purchase an USB/firewall housing and 'recycle' an 'old' drive you might have, heck for that matter you might be able to use your built in drive - this wouldn't expand capacity though....
    cyberguys.com has a selection IIRC...
    Just a thought

8. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

Well I own one of the Iomega External Drives and I've had no problems so far. It's a bit noisy but then it has a capacity of 250 GB. :D

As for the Firewire being faster than USB thing, that is only true for USB 1.0/1.1. USB 2.0 supports 480 Mb/s whereas Firewire does "only" support 400 Mb/s. You won't feel that much difference, though.

9. Kitrax

Media:
    You will if you are transfering massive files...which I will be doing, as the main reson for getting the drive is to store all the image files of all my game CD-ROMs...that drive will also be the grounds for my laptop-based PVR (Personal Video Recorder), as soon as I get this! :thumb: :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.