1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for game recommendations

Discussion in 'Playground' started by chevalier, Jan 29, 2007.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, to make it short, I've recently upgraded some parts (still getting a 2003 rig but this time a bit more powerful) and now I have a 2.6C processor with FSB 800 MHz and Hyperthreading, a gig of DDR400 RAM in Dual Channel mode plus a GF7600GT. Of course, NWN2 barely achieves 30 fps in 1024*768 in a tiny battle without spells flying and in top-down camera, offering little visual improvement, but from what I've gathered, other games should be fine.

Now, I've decided that it makes no point upgrading this computer and it's time to enjoy what I have while I have it, so it's basically time to stop buying hardware and start buying games. And here's my question: What would you recommend? ;)

I'm as much of an RPG fan as anyone here, although I've only played Western-style RPGs so far. I like RTS's and hybrids (RPG/RTS, RTS/TBS etc), I don't hate Civilisation-style games or even economical simulators, but let's say Panzer General isn't really my cup of tea and neither are aircraft or tank simulators or even most of the serious WW2 games (admittedly, however, Company of Heroes looks cute and I did like Commandos). My old flame is car racing games, but I don't like the whole tuning business, around which most modern games seem to be built. As for themes, I like fantasy, obviously, but my old flame is sci-fi (I loved Dune and I'm a big Star Wars fan) and, well, history always does it for me, except it'd better not be the most recent history - let's say mostly ancient or mediaeval stuff.

As for what I wouldn't play, you know... pentagrams everywhere, upside down crosses, crucified people, rape scenes etc. So, for example, I did like Half Life or Fallout, but Doom or Quake... let's say I played a bit, but it was too much for me.

So what would you recommend? I'm looking at Oblivion and the PC version of Jade Empire. WoW or any paid access game just doesn't work for me because I don't have enough time to play and make it pay. ;)

Edit: corrected title... Don't know how I cut it. ;)

[ January 29, 2007, 22:00: Message edited by: chevalier ]

2. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Well, I know you said you didn't like the games with the kind of occult stuff... but this game is so good you have to play it (and you can actually act good and avoid killing people). Think of those that you do kill as a way to purge evil (there is a lot of it in this game). So, without further ado, I present to you; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Just promise to not wimp out if you try it.

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Medieval II: Total War is highly reccommended. It's like HoMM with a grittier Medieval era feel and some "cold war" options...

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Right you don't "hate" Civilisation games .... so why don't you play them then. Any version, they're all cool (except that crappy Civilisation: Call to Power)

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Vampire: Bloodlines is from the same people who did Fallout, if it matters.

For car racing; well, you didn't specify how realistic you wanted, so these are all 'omfg realistic', though tuning isn't so important. As in, if you want to ignore tuning, it won't hurt you very much.

Nascar Racing 2003 Season; if you can find a copy, it's still the best Nascar game around. If it matters, I love the game and hate the sport.
    GTR2
    rFactor

7. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If you like Star Wars world, you should try Lego Star Wars, there are two of them, being LSW with Episodes I, II and III and LSW 2 with Episodes IV, V and VI (wich is much better, with a lot more to do and with funnier cutscenes - check the little movie I made in the topic about LSW made by kuemper right down this topic for a look at the gameplay).

I do like a lot racing games (I have 4 of them right now). As AMaster said, GTR2 is good racing sim and you don't have to know a lot about mechanics to play it and rFactor is very modable (currently you can have about 20 kind of racing styles, I mean, F1, Nascar, Cart, Stock, Turismo, etc,).
    Also, F1 Challenge 99-02 is a good choice and also with a wide base of mods around. For better graphics you could try Grand Prix 4, with mods for recents F1 seasons.

8. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Chev get Stronghold gold and Crusader. The best and probably most realistic castle building games you can get. Avoid Stronghold 2 and the new fantasy version, they are pure ****.

9. chevalier

Media:
    Thanks, guys.

Harbs, I liked Civ2, I liked Colonisation, Test of Time wasn't bad, Call to Power sucked, Civ3 wasn't my cup of tea and it either sucked or overpowered my computer back then, Civ4 I've never seen running, I think.

Other country sims would be Europa Universalis games and Medieval I. Am thinking about Shogun, not sure about Medieval II (like the battles, the battlefield graphics etc, don't like the map).

As for city sims, as opposed to country sims, I can't really grasp Sim City or get myself to give it a more serious try. I prefer Caesar or Pharaoh, although I can't finish campaigns, at some point finding the mission I won't beat. I didn't like Zeus, gave up on Poseidon without trying, am thinking about Emperor (have owned it for 1.5 years, never played).

10. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    How about The Sims 2? :p

11. chevalier

Media:
    Maybe if my sister buys it. :p While I've sort of enjoyed The Sims 1, that's quite a lot of time spent living out someone else's life, which is supposed to be based on mine. So basically it's a bit like playing my life, or the life of another homo sapiens, instead of living my own. ;) Surely a fun game, but not if I'm time-pressed and all. ;) Maybe for holidays. ;)

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Care to comment on V:B -TM?

13. chevalier

Media:
    Oh, I'm sorry. :) Thank you for the recommendation and I'll try the game out if I have the time and find a good price. For all I know, it's not easily found here, or at least I haven't really seen it much - but chances are I just haven't noticed. :)

14. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'll put in another reccomendation for Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines. Bloody brilliant story, gameplay and bugged as hell on release (make sure you patch it). It uses the Source engine (albeit an early version) and is based on a PnP rpg, so its rule system, like its story, is incredibly deep. It has some of the most atmospheric levels of just about any game I've ever played. Best fun since the original Deus Ex.

On the topic of Deus Ex the second one is a remarkably good game (its still got nothing on the original, but no games do really).

Company of Heros is definetly worth getting, the focus is more on troop movement, cover and capturing strategic points than developing the perfect build que or managing finances.

Since you like hybrid games you may like to try the original savage - link. Its a free download (I think they're using it as a promotional tool for the next one) and its kind of like a rts/fps/rpg.

For racing games I'd recommend anything from the Trackmania series. Its completely crazy (just look at the trailers) but fun as. Theres also a pretty damn good community out there, so new tracks are only a download away.

15. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Well if you like Hybrid RTS / RPG I suggest you Spellforce 2: Shadow War. I got it this summer for about 45 CDN $ (+- 29.50 Euro, or 115.052 PLN) I don't know if Poland is a Euro-country. The story is cool, higly fantasy, and really fun. But hard, really hard even on the easy setting. Or maybe it's just me that isn't very good a fast-paced RTS.

As for Arcade-style Racing game, ever heard of Track Mania: Nation? It is a completely free online f1 racing game. You can download it here
    It's a lot of fun and you can compeat for you country in overall score! And Damn those French and German are good :p Fun, Fast, Easy to play, Addictive and free! You only got one car can't change anything on it (except its look). But hey user-created tracks online kicks ass. And it's free! FREE!

Civilization IV for me is a winner, I never played I, II or III but sweet jesus it's addictive. It's one those Gee? It's already 2 in the morning? game. I know it's a lame reason but one of the thing I found to be really amusing is the unit, when you select them, actually reply in the language of the empire. So French Musketmen will reply in French, Arabic Warrior in Arabic etc. It's a cool attention to detail that I liked. But most people won't really care I think. Oh and if you're quick enough you can witness some hilarous thing; like My Persian Tank versus Japanese Arhcer; Gee why fight? Surrender me the city already! A great game in my book.

As for Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodline. While I agree it is a remarcable game, I find it odd to have suggest it when Chevalier stated: As for what I wouldn't play, you know... pentagrams everywhere, upside down crosses, crucified people, rape scenes etc You play a goddamn vampire! And if I remember correctly there IS a church turned into a bar in it. Though really cool decoration for a bar :p You *have* to kill a lot of people, drink their blood, and the Sabbat isn't too family-friendly, Pagan ritual etc. However you don't play this camp it's the enemy. But yes it is a formidable story-line. But the combat system was waaayyy over-rated it plain sucks. Ranged combat doesn't work half the time so you end up smacking people's head with a sledgehammer instead of busting them with a Magnun. Although a Female Tremere in Leather armour with a magnun does look really good :lol:

That's about it I think.

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I will strongly agree with the people who are recommending Medieval II. The gameplay is fantastic and it is incredibly addicitve. It has the perpetual "I will stop after just one more turn" effect that I have not experienced since Civ II.

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I would recommend Oblivion. The game is very open-ended. It has a main story-line, but you don't have to follow it - you can just go off, explore the large, beutifully rendered map, join guilds, pick-up some interesting side quests, raid dungeons and the ruins of old forts, and develop your character into whatever you choose. There is also a content pack - Knights of the Nine - which I also recommed. It has its own story-line, adds armour for your horse (which is very cool), has a few additional dungeons and magical relics and items; and also provides your character with two new bases to operate from: a wizards tower, high up in the mountains of the far north - which provides a breath-taking view of the realm - and an underground dungeon in the far south, which has its own tainted history.

Also, next month there will be a full expansion pack - Shivering Isles - and it will supposedly add a new story-line and more content directly into the existing Elder Scroll's Realm.

I also ran it on my previous computer, which was an 2.6C P4, nVidia 6800 graphics card and it ran OK on 1024 X 768 (about 25-30 fps outside, while 40-50 fps, indoors).

18. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    You didn't mention which RPGs you have already played. I just finished Temple of Elemental Evil which you should be able to find on the cheap. Using the Circle of Eight mods the game plays very nicely and I had a blast. It has turn based combat so it brings you back to the old paper and pencil days of D&D.

19. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Ofelix said
    I would have said the opposite. Everyone says its crap, but I found it quite fun - once you get 5* Celerity its like ultimate bullet-time-tastic. The combat itself is fairly basic (only 3 sword moves), but then again, thats all that BG2 had. Its more about how you approach enemies and make use of your vampire abilities.

TM Nations is a good game, not as crazy as the retail versions (Original, Sunrise and United). I bought Sunrise about a year ago on release for less than half the price of a full retail game and the team has since released a free expansion pack. In terms of content, Sunrise has 7 game types and around 150 completely different tracks - theres a lot there.

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

If you don't mind terrible graffics: The Geneforge series. A fantasy RPG with a rather sci-fi feel.

I plan on shelling out the money for #4 tonight :)
    (note: #3 isn't very good, to put it mildly. You could probably skip it without much trouble...)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.