1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lord of the Rings?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by ywpark89, May 16, 2002.

1. ywpark89 Guest

Is there anywhere in the handbooks about the stats and classes of Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf, Bormir, anf Frodo?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Nope. Nothing official anyway.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

BE creative... make them yourself :)

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Lord of the Rings has nothing to do with D&D. There have been many attempts to create the stats for these characters but it's all opinion. As Headbanger suggests make them up. I remember seeing a thread that talked about this on SP before so try a search and take a look at what we came up with.

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

well, that's not hard to make up...

Aragorn: Ranger/Cleric
    Gandalf: High level Mage / Low level Fighter
    Legolas: Archer (Ranger Kit)
    Eowyn: Fighter or Paladin
    Faramir: Ranger
    Frodo: Thief

etc. The only thing you have to do it to give them stats like constitution, Strength etc. Well I suppose you can do that by yourself :)

6. ywpark89 Guest

Why is Araggorn a R/C? He uses sword,right?

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

So? A Ranger/Cleric can also use swords very well. He was a Dunedain and almost all Dunedains where rangers. Aragorn tells in LoTR that he often wandered in the wild and that the Dunedain protected the borders of the Shire. That explains the Ranger-class.

The Cleric class is also logical, though I think Aragorn would have a higher Ranger class then Cleric class. Aragorn wasn't religious like D&D-clerics are, but he did have great healing skills. You see that when he helps Frodo with wound of the morgul blade, and also in Minas Tirith where he heals Eowyn, Meriadoc and Faramir. The hands of the king are the hands of a healer.

Of course a ranger has always some healing skills (cleric spells) but that is not enough to be compared with the healing skills of Aragorn

8. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I see that the possibility of special abilities never crossed your mind. Everyone who heals doesn't have to be a cleric. And why is Gandalf a fighter/mage? He didn't seem very fighterlike to me.

9. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Gandulf counts as a fighter B/c he fights to well otherwise and uses a sword (Glamding(sp?)) I think is its name

10. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

B/c? What's that, Bill Clinton? No l33t on the boards.

Gandalf fights well otherwise? Odd, I don't remember him ever fighting anyone with a sword apart from the balrog, and if I remember the scene, it was augmented by magic. Not that it matters, as he didn't just kill the balrog and walk away. And as for wielding a sword... I don't think Tolkien sat writing his books with the silly AD&D rules on his desk, where a wizard can't hold a sword in his hand. (Hey guys, the gods granted me this mighty artifact sword, but I can't seem to hold it in my hands...)

And the sword is Glamdring. (Ha! Robbed you the opportunity of boosting up post counts with a simple correction!)

11. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Valor, you make some good points but in 3E (since this is the D&D forum) wizards along with ever other class can use swords. Just spend a feat on martial weapons and you are in business. And considering Gandalf's level as a simgle class wizard he's still have a rather good base attack adjustment. Add to that other feats and spells in increase fighting and you're one danagerous guy.

Some goes on the Aragorn front. Aragorn is a high level Ranger and thus would have acess to 4th level spells. This would include spells like neutralize poison and cure serious. Thus I don't think he would need to be a cleric as well.

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Well..... Gandalf is a bit better in fighting then a normal wizard would be... You can say that is because he has the ancient sword Glamdring wich was forged in the hidden kingdom of Gondolin and worn by the founder of Gondolin, Turgon himself... You can choose to let Gandalf be a pure mage, but in that case, he should really have a good strength, else he would in d&d have much less fighting skills then he has in Lord of the Rings. Gandalf should have a wisdom of 20 and intelligence of 19 or 20...

Maybe you can make the race of Maia... +2 intelligence and +2 wisdom as bonus for example.

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Well since the Maia are demigods I don't see that as an issue. If you have the Deities and demigods book for 3E D&D I'd look in the demigod section. Gandalf could easily have INT and WIS stats of 19 to 20 and a strength of 15 or 16. And if you are weilding a +3 or +4 magic weapon an extra +1 or +2 bonus from strength is not as important at 18th level. I mean a simple bull strength spell and you can add up to an additional 5 to STR.

14. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Yes, but as everyone talked about kits and dualclasses, which don't exist in 3rd edition, I totally forgot ;) You don't even need to give him the feat, although it might be appropriate, considering he has carried that blade for so long.

And why would a bearer of a mighty sword have to be good at using it? Not all shepherds bearing heron-mark swords have earned them in combat.

15. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] You're right that 3E doesn't use dualclassing or kits. The new multi-classing rules and feat/skill system are much better. But in 3E a mage only get simple weapons as a free class feat. You would need to take martial weapons or suffer a penalty. But this is nothing like the -5 you'd suffer in 2E for using a sword.

16. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Gandalf does most of his sword slinging in in The Hobbit, where he cleaves the Great Goblin in twain and generally kicks a lot of orcish butt with his sword.

Once he becomes Gandalf the White, he pretty much gives up using the sword, though he is still carrying it around.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.