1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LOTR or Narnia

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Daie d'Malkin, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

An arguement we had in school. The Lord of the Rings, or the Chronicles of Narnia. Which is better written, and which has the better story?

I vote Narnia, both ways. Aslan was way cooler than Gandalf.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, Narnia was written for kids, so the style is much more simple than Tolkien's. I couldn't say which was better, they're both excellent and I love them both, but they're way too different to be compared on the same level. Considering Tolkien and Lewis were friends, I'd say the same really goes for the books. They complement each other. I'd start with Narnia and The Hobbit, then LoTR, and then back to Narnia again - you miss a great number of things in Narnia until you're old enough to understand them.

3. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Since Lewis was from N.Ireland this always made Narnia more special for me, especially as a child, but both are excellent.

4. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Hmm that's very hard to answer, i love both worlds. I would have to say *Middle Earth*, since i didn't appriciate the use of religion in C.S Lewis' works.
    (Edit: Shouldn't this have been a poll :confused: )

5. Daie d'Malkin

Well, you can see instances of religion in LOTR. Gandalf's supposed 'death', then his re-appearance for example?

And no, not really a poll, because I'd like to know reasons, rather than numbers

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I really don't see how Gandalf's 'death' has anything to do with religion - sure, a famous mythological character did much the same, but the similarities aren't exactly very close...

And don't get started on Morgoth/Satan comparisions either - even if one is the mirror of the other, it is hardly a glaring book-breaking reference put there to advocate Tolkien's religion.

7. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I should have said *the way C.S Leweis use religion in his works* ;)

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Since I really couldn't stomach Narnia, I'd have to say Lord of the Rings all the way :)

Maybe it's because I read Narnia "too late" (I was 22, and so there's no special feeling or nostalgia involved), but it's mostly because I find LotR's prose to be much more involving, and because the preaching self-righteousness of Narnia really got on my nerves once I got to book 2. By the time I got to the 7th I was almost pulling my hair out.

Maybe it's because I'm not a Christian, or much of a religious person for that matter... I don't know. Reading the books as mythology though, Silmarillion is absolutely fascinating. Especially the creation of the world.

Since both Tolkien and Lewis were equally devout, that's an interesting statement. It's easy to see religious (Christian in particular) references all over both books. I always found Tolkien's use of such references to be much more subtle, and as such less bothersome. Not that I have anything against Christianity mind you, but I don't like preaching in the books I read :)

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I love both Narnia and LoTR. Since they were written for different age groups they can't be compared. It's sorta like comparing apples and oranges.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I had no idea there was any religion in the Narnia books :confused:

I always thought that Tolkien's stuff was far more religious - the start of the Silmarillion reminded me of the start of the Bible.

I loved Narnia as a pre-teen and I loved Lord of the Rings as a post-teen. They both rule in their own way. :thumb:

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Lewis was a master at waving Christianity into the story so skillfully that you never even saw it was there when you were a child. I've read or seen most of Narnia when I was a kid and didn't have a clue about the religious background. Then I went and re-read the whole series a couple of years ago and it was so obvious... Really, the Narnia books are timeless masterpieces. Though if you're not more intimately familiar with Catholicism, you probably won't even notice any religious influence in them, as nothing is forced or stated openly, it's all in the service of the story.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, I'm thinking back on those stories, which I read so many times I think I know them inside out. I still can't see any religious themes. There was a lion, and a witch, and a place where time went faster than in our world, and a ship, and a faun, and a mouse, and some islands. What does any of that have to do with Christianity? I don't remember there being any turkish delight in the Bible.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, starting with the most obvious, Aslan is a figure of Christ. But considering many books on the symbolism in Narnia have been written, I suggest you pick one of them up, Lindskoog's most likely. SP has it listed at http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_lewis.php

14. Harbourboy

Is he?! Wow. Who were his Father and Mother then? This is fascinating. I plan to look into this further (but am unlikely to buy a whole book on the topic - sorry).

Hmm, come to think of it, they do go to a sort of 'heaven' at the end of the Last Battle, don't they?

15. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Yes, though my guess is it's closer to the post-JUdgement Day "heaven" than the "present" heaven, since the entire Last Battle really is The End of the world.

I have to disagree with Tal about the religious influence not being forced (or at least stated openly). As I never read the books as a child I can't comment on this point, but as an "adult" (let's say young adult) I thought it was very obvious, and I'm not that familiar with catholicism. True, it is in service of the story, but then again most of the "big" story entirely revolves around Catholic issues.

SPOILERS BELOW

By the way HB, there's one passage that really illustrates the Jesus/Aslan point: in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, Aslan is supposedly killed, in stead of one of the boys (forgot which one), but shorly later he returns.

16. Daie d'Malkin

Hey Ziad, your post count seems apt for the topic, no?

So, Prince Caspian, who is he then?

17. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I always prefered LoTR over Narnia (The first book I actually enjoyed was The Hobbit :p ), although I still liked to read Narnia when I was wee ;)

18. ethis123 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Remember that Lewis and Tolkien were great mates and they both had an influence on each others work. Narina was targeted at children and personally I think the story telling is better the LOTR. Tolkien wrote LOTR mainly so he could use the language he invented. Both books have heavy Christian overtones, mainly because they were both devout Christians. The great thing about the writing in both books is that they don't slap you in the face with their beliefs so even unbelievers like me can enjoy it. As for the over all story LOTR thanks to better depth.

19. Atari Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

For me Lewis told better stories but Tolkien was the better writer.

Also on a side note Lewis and Tolkien who were best friends hated (I use this word lightly) each other's books. Interesting, no?

20. MarcusO'Murchu Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I find it quite humorous that a few people have said the Narnia books require an indpepth knowledge of Catholicisim. This provokes a wry smile as Tolkien of the two was the devout Catholic and C.S. Lewis, though definitely Christian, would not have definted himself as Catholic. Indeed, the two used to have little debates about the relative merits of their two relative positions, although generally they agreed on many points. Personally, I prefer Tolkien, as pointed out the religion is there, but it is implicit and not explicit. Although any of you who have read C.S. Lewis's Cosmic Trilogy may have found those rather interesting in relation to this difference between the two men.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.