1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LoTR, the game

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Shadowcouncil, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I just read the news that EA sports will make a Lord of The Rings-game. What do you expect from this? I am not against a game about Lord of the RIngs, but my feeling just tells me EA isn't the right company to make such a game. ANd I need to get some more information about what kinda game it will be... Will it be a rpg? Or more a tactical game like commando's? So what is your opinion? Mor info about the game will follow soon.

And therefore I say: EA! Let there be computergames!

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited December 19, 2001).]

2. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

AAAAAAAARGH. I realy have my doubts about a computer-RPG of LOTR at all. And especially if it´s going to be made by EA.
    Adventuring in the Third or previous ages, within Middle-earth settings could be fun if the world and the atmosphere that Tolkien created is used.
    But I do not like the idea of playing Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, Frodo, Sam or Bilbo or have them as NPC´s.

3. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

EA! Bloody hell. What will the expansion be? LoTR 2002 - the new season? Buy and sell NPC's? Leage tables and stats? Hmmm

I really don't think they'd be my choice.

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

There is no other information about the LotR game than the short artivle I've posted in the news. Nothing has been done, except from signing a contract which says EA can make the game. My opinion is that EA sure knows how to make good graphics, and therefor we should give them a chance.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] hmm, I am *very* skeptic about that game - what would it be about ? I mean: The story is there, so finally you'll only end up repeating an already existing adventure - no thanks :mad:

6. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

But rehashing the story would be better than other stuff that they could probably make, such as Further Adventures of Frodo, or Things That You Did Not See In The Movie But Is Explained In This Game (including a demo of Sauron II:Revenge).

Extending the story would suck so they'd be better off basing it on the story,=.

7. gollum Banned

[​IMG] Ea is not the right company their games are poo.

8. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

There are many imaginable sceneries like "The Rise And The Fall OF The Realm of Angmar" for good RPGs in the history of middleearth, so it would't be necessary to exploit the lifes of Frodo & co.

9. Silverblade Guest

I read that too a few days ago (in a dutch games-magazine) and I think there shouldn't be a LOTR computer, not made by EA nor by any other games developer. LOTR is getting to commercial this way.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well there have been made lots of games based on LotR in the past. Primarily to amiga and similar systems. And some of them is said to be pretty good.
    But I think EA is the totally wrong company to make a game of LotR, i think they got they license simply because they payed the most. EA is really good at making sports game with realistic graphics and control but I dont think they are able to make a game with any depht.
    But they may surprise us but I doubt it. I think it will be something like the SW: EP1 game. A shallow adventure game that is more similar to Tombraider than a good rpg as i think LotR should be, that or a strategy game. It would be cool to command the forces of Mordor.

11. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Somethings are best left alone and the LotR books are one of them. There has been some LotR game in the past but all where rather porr in design and limited in vision. As it is hard to create a movie version of the books it is also hard to create a worthy PC game. Peter Jackson did a excellent job of the movies but will EA put the same amount of time and money into the project?

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    One thing you can be sure about EA is that they are NOT short on money. They've gobbled up practically every company imaginable and own most of the PC gaming market. But as a company, their motto is to get the game out when they say so, not when the game is in the state to be released. If it doesn't make it to the deadline, tough luck. Like Ultima IX, where a famous name was enough to ship the game in alpha stage of development.

If LOTR will be lucky enough to get a team working on it that will make sure they meet the deadline, it might be a good game.

But, as we can see, we have another famous name like Ultima here. Selling anything with a LOTR title will not be a problem for EA. If the game they make will suck, they'll make a big ad campaign for it and give out enough free stuff to major English gaming mags that at least the previews will be favourable, if not the reviews. And that's actually all they need to sell this title.

Yes, I'm saying don't get your hopes up. It's a 50/50 chance of it being good or total crap. EA will profit either way. Lovely, isn't it?

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 21, 2001).]

13. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well, LoTR becomes a real hype so EA makes a game that will sell well... but for I count myself a bit above this hype, I don't know if I will buy the game. It indeed depends on what kinda game it will be....

14. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

well, the tabletop skirmish game (Gamesworkshop) is interesting, some of the models are a bit pants.

Computer wise, it might be good, but it would have to be shortened, and for people who have read the book and know it off by heart (not looking in anyone in perticular) it will not be overtly enjoyable.

For example, think of BG2: The movie. Everyone would disagree

15. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Mmmmm...everyone ??
    If they would do the same job to "BG2, the movie" or "Icewind Dale, the motion picture" as they've did with LOTR I know I would be more than satisfied. ;)

16. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

the table-top game is actually quite good...

but a computer game :

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO"

*sob sob*

17. Lord Sarevok Guest

Heh, BG2 the movie, I like the sound of that.

I really don't want them to make a game. I'm suprised how good the movie was, and I don't want them to sully LotR's image with a computer game. The book was more than enough of an adventure for me, and I can't bear the thought of kids playing a little video game, before they have even read it.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited December 26, 2001).]

18. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

First of all i think most of you know my position on graphics. Until EA can create an engine which will look like the movie during gameplay they stick to bg format and make it a beutifully ornate rpg instaead of a bland graphics showoff venture.
    As usual looks come before gameplay and the game WILL be ruined as only americans know how

19. EA is not poo. They made the Sims by the way. But Bioware would suit better for that.
    BG2 movie?That would be cool if the protagonist is a woman and theres romance too.
    Ezellohar Shark, little Anomen-loving pally with Carsomyr

[This message has been edited by Ezellohar Shark (edited December 28, 2001).]

20. /me tries to hold back her rage.

DOESN'T *ANYONE* RESPECT J.R.R. TOLKIEN'S WRITING?!?!?!

What the hell is *wrong* with all these companies?! Ok. It was fine to make the movies and action figures on Legolas and Gandalf and Frodo were going a bit overboard but now they are making computer games for the book is going way overlimits! God, the game might follow the damn book, but it's the money they want. ARGH!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.