1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Loud ads on TV

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by pplr, Feb 17, 2010.

1. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Hello, maybe it is me but I've noticed that TV ads have gotten quite a bit louder than the TV programs they run alongside.

This may be due to digital TV switching in a clear signal that was somewhat muted or balanced in the past, or it could be due to something else (maybe I'm just loosing patience).

But I find myself hitting the mute button when watching TV a good deal more now than in the past.

There may be times when I do get up to grab a bite during a break (the reason I am given for why ads are louder than the TV show itself) but most of the time I do not.

So I've been getting annoyed with ads so often I, during some TV shows, have started to hit the mute button preemptively whenever ads start because I don't want to listen to some obnoxiously loud-even compared to an action and/or scifi show-bunch of ads.

If they stayed about as loud as the TV show I wouldn't mind and would simply wait for the show to start again-leting the ads run sound included.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

Or now that you think about it do you think using the mute button on the remote more often is a good idea?

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    My impression is that they've been doing that for centuries. I don't think they only just recently figured out that they can 'reach' their audience audibly by screaming at them from afar during commercial breaks. ;)

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's always been that way ... you should have been raised with "IT'S CAL WORTHINGTON AND HIS DOG SPOT!"

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I worked for a marketing company for a while and it's true. The ads are deliberatly made louder because people leave the room when they're on. Part of the thinking is that even though you aren't actually watching the ads, the background noise is like a subliminal message.

One of the few times I'm glad I wear hearing aids. I just turn them off :lol:

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    When I watch TV (which is quite rare) I just press the mute button on the remote. I can't stand ads on TV.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    PPLR - Someone is hearing you:

http://hd.engadget.com/2009/12/22/anti-loud-commercial-law-passes-the-house/

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.