1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Magic: The Gathering

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Ancalìmon, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Been a while since I've been on SP. Things have been pretty calm around here. Well, does anyone know Magic? I think most fantasy fans know it, so that should be 3/4 of the people who visit SP. For those who don't know it: It's a trading card game, and a very good one too. In fact, I'd say it's THE best trading card game in the world! The point of the game is to bring your opponents life total from 20 to zero. you have 3 different types of cards: lands, spells and creatures. Before playing a card, you have to pay it's price in lands. Creatures have attack and toughness, spells do damage or change something, ... I can go on for hours about this. Visit www.magicthegathering.com for more info.

2. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    [​IMG] I love Magic :) I've been playing for nearly two years now and have quite a good collection of cards :) C'mon Ancalimon, impress us with your rare cards

3. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Are you crazy?
    MTG is my favourite game :love: .I'm playing since Exodus or Stronghold and it never got dull or boring.
    Our nationals is at 3rd/4th May 2003 Swissotel,Bosphorus.
    Wish me luck guys!This time i'm gonna make Top 8.
    We have a team and we can provide any rare we want so, i'm not going into rare job Shell :) .

4. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    God I love the game. I have an artifact deck complete with Tolarian Academy and Voltaic Key that usually wins. I started collecting in Mercadian Masques.

5. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I have the game on computer, but not a real life deck of cards... so I know how the game works and some strategies, but my knowledge of cards is VERY limited (to those that were offered in the game obviously).

6. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

I have one card, and it's my absolute favorite:

Arcanis The Omnipotent
    Blue

Creature-Wizard Legend

cost: 3 lands and 3 islands

Onslaught Rare

Power/Toughness 3/4

Text:

Tap Arcanis the Omnipotent: draw three cards.
    Pay 2 lands and 2 islands: return Arcanis the Omnipotent to it's owner's hand.

He has journeyed were none have been before, now he returns to ensure that none follow

I've won like hundreds of games with this fella!

7. Shell

Media:
    My favourite card has to be Eladamri (the Legend). :) I love green decks, and elves especially ;)

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I collected the cards as well for the first year or two. Then when I discovered about how it was about the rudest money-hoax around, I quit. As the newest cards could literally get same or even more powerful effects than the older ones, with a lower mana-cost. Since that my friends have discovered the same thing and nowadays I know no-one who plays it anymore.

9. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    By the way everyone, it's called mana, not lands. Lands produce the mana. As do Llanowar Elves.

10. Shell

Media:
    [​IMG] As do Fyndhorn Elves, Sisters of the flame, fyndhorn elders....................the list goes on

11. Khelben Gems: 15/31

Well Ancalimon i mean no offence but Arcanis sucks in constructed play but it's really good in limited.
    Anyway i have MTGO but i'm playing Apprentice more because playtesting for nationals require more than 2 or 3 drafts per day and magic online is really slow when compared with Apprentice.So MTGO is a waste of time and money for me, sure it increases gameplay but after a while you start to look for "yes" and "no" in real life.Opening NetDraft,drafting then opening apprentice and playing is better and hella quick.
    I can play 20 games in apprentice while i can do 4 or 5 in MTGO.
    I hate Psychatog, R&D need a good ****.
    By the way creatures count as spell[with a "counter target spell" card you can counter a creature].
    And an extra winning way is to deck out your opponent.
    Khelben thinks that he's a good smartass

[ April 11, 2003, 17:21: Message edited by: Khelben ]

12. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Khelben, Arcanis is very good, no matter how you put it. You may take 3 cards just for tapping him! He's also a pretty good creature (3/4) and if you can pay it, you can always return him to your hand. I play a green-blue deck, 32 green and 8 blue. I have lots of islands, a real good blue spell and Arcanis. In my green cards i include lots of creatures (Elves mainly) and lands. I also have a few lands that add a mana of any color to your pool, so it's really just a deck wich relies on fast build-up, and fast attack. I always include first strike and flying creatures, becouse if you dont have one of these and your opponents does, your're in serious trouble.

13. Khelben Gems: 15/31

Dude, in professional play there is no place for Arcanis trust me.The most important thing in MTG is card advantage(which he does by drawing three cards).But the cost is not cheap.And it's too slow.So it is not effective, compared to a deep analysis, concentration or the old goodies such as Stroke of Genius (man i miss it!)
    And for the blue deck i'd suggest a U/G madness deck.Which can kill you before you even tap for Arcanis.
    Fetch one at Brainburst
    or at Sideboard.
    And if you are going for flying and have islands in your deck.Why not go for "Wonder"?
    It makes your creatures flyer when it's at graveyard.And in this odyysey enviroment there are plenty ways to discard it.So why would you tap four and play a Bird?just because it's flyer?
    No dude, the real power is card advantage and you can do a lot of when playing careful study and discarding wonder and making your creatures flying [for example].Guess you don't want to pay billions of extra mana for a flyer or a first striker no?
    But of course,Arcanis and flyers and first-strikers are great at casual play(which i think you're playing :) no offence) and they suck because you don't gain the upper hand in board when you play them in serious professional tournament. [such as regionals, champs, nationals, worlds, pro-tours, pro-tour qualifiers and other sanctioned events]
    Dude get a DCI-Number and involve in REAL magic in tournaments, believe me it's funny, needs more thinking, you meet with friends and etc... really give it a try.

BAH!I can't believe i've written this much!

14. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

I'm a casual player ;) And I don't play in tournaments(yet?), Arcanis is a winner in casual play, without a doubt.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.