1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Major Graphics Card Problem

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Barmy Army, May 28, 2004.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hi guys,

Just installed a new ATI Radeon 9800pro and am getting problems!

I got no driver disk with it so I downloaded and installed the latest Catalyst drivers from the ATI website. I can switch the comp on and load it up fine, but after a few minutes it seems to crash, the screen goes black, then comes back and has the error message:

'VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands.'

Then gives me the option of sending an error report.

After that I can't do much really before my monitor seems to go into Standby mode (the power light just flicks on and off). And I have to restart. Then the cycle starts again, lol.

Anyone else ever heard of this problem? Because this is really getting on my nipples!

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Some versions of the catalyst drivers are more stable than others. See if you can google an older version of the drivers that is known to be stable.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If there wasn't NO driver in the package, then I would send it back (imagine: no driver for a product that demands one if you want to use it :rolleyes: ).

Try those older drivers first; it might fix the problem, even though it would be pretty odd that older drivers were more recommended than newer ones. :shake:

4. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Mors,

This really sounds suspicious. Who is the manufacturer of the card (ATI now licenses to other manufacturers)? If ATI, Sapphire, MSI or some other reputable manufacturer does not make it, I would return it ASAP, even if I had to pay a restocking fee.

It sounds a little like the card may be overheating, making me wonder if the manufacturer may have used cheap memory chips that are not up to the challenge of the clock speeds used in a 9800Pro.

For all things ATI, try the forums at rage3d.com.

Edit
    Ok, just for grins I went out and looked at Rage3d and found this thread:
    What the hell is ATI/Sapphire doing?

I definitely would not be buying anything from Sapphire at the momment.

[ May 28, 2004, 15:21: Message edited by: Darkwolf ]

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I think I sorted it now though! Hopefully!

I did a system restore to before I installed the new card and drivers. Then deleted and uninstalled all graphics drivers etc.
    Then started from scratch, completely clean of conflicting drivers.

So far so good!
    Thx again for replies :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.