1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Man-Eating Badgers?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Is this a serious news article?

I can't even do it justice - reports in Iraq that British troops have released "strange man-eating, bear-like beasts into the area to sow panic"

How can they be serious?

EDIT: OK, the link is working now. Text is below.

[ August 09, 2007, 21:15: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm with you, Aldeth, this sounds like a joke of some sort. However, the world is a strange place and one never really knows. If it is true, then in a sense the British are using biological warfare -- maybe even genetically engineered organisms that are striking fear into the hearts of the populace as we speak!

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I saw that story in a couple of the local papers while I was over working in London so I can confirm that it did receive fairly wide coverage there. Of course everyone I heard discussing the story thought it was pretty funny and didn't take it at all seriously. I saw similar coverage for all kinds of stupid stories over there.

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Heh, whoever the author is, they sure have a taste for alliteration. Apart from that, it sounds almost too insane to even take seriously. Apparently Iraq is not without its share of conspiracy theorists. Swift as a dear, size of a dog, head of a monkey - surely a demon the infidels have brought with them!

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    My favorite part is the military spokesman: "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area. " I mean, it's funny just to read such a quote. As if the British army could possibly even be in possession of "man-eating badgers".

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

What amuses me about the wording is that by sticking the man-eating into the denial it isn't a denial of releasing normal badgers into the area.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I never did trust the British. How could they keep such a nefarious secret weapon from us? We are supposed to be allies afterall. :)

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hey, friendship always goes only this far between countries. What the nuke was for wars in the 20th century, man-eating badgers will be for the 21st.

Now, if only they had managed to train ninja badgers, they might just make it to superpowerdom again :p

9. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Oh no, someone has guessed our Secret plan

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Badgers...
    Badgers...
    Am I missing something here? Are badgers known in the UK and Iraq for vicious attacks on people or something? I mean, we don't get a lot of them around here, but I've never heard of a badger attacking a person. In fact, if one did attack me, I think my first response would be to kick it (with shoes on). My second would probably be to beat it with a large stick. I just keep thinking of the Rodents Of Unusual Size from The Princess Bride. Or maybe the mole-rats from Fallout 2. Unless they carry rabies, I don't think I'd feel terribly threatened by them, especially not in a country like Iraq. I mean, all things considered, if the badgers are the biggest threat on people's minds, we're doing a much better job over there than I thought.
    . . .
    ... --- ...

11. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

No mushroom?

Wait till you see the Badger Redcoats hit your shores :p

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, there is a lake here in Sweden where they are going to shoot off a few beavers who have been attacking swimmers. Maybe an early experiment?

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

No that is actually part of a similar program that has been run for decades by the Canadian military. It is well documented that Canadian beavers caused untold havok in the Soviet Union during the cold war years.

As our troops are not involved in the Iraq campaign there is no risk of our beavers showing up in Iraq and teaming up with the British badgers. However, Afghanistan is another story. ;)

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm sure there must be a UN resolution somewhere banning beavers for military purposes.

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    "If beavers are outlawed, only outlaws will have beavers."

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol: ROFLMAO!!!

Rally, I love you.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "Badgers? We ain't got no badgers. We don't need no badgers. I don't have to show you any stinking badgers."

18. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Perhaps they were dire badgers...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.