1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

man there are some crappy boards out there

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by The Fat Egg, Sep 11, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] I'm really pissed off at some of the boards ut there, and not just ones dealing with D&D. On one of the Diablo boards out there there was a topic about a rogue's sex appeal!? What the hell kind of topic is that? On a BG board I read a post where somebody didn't know any of the NPC names, for instance when talking about Dynaheir he'd always say, and I quote "that chick that that dude in Nashkel wanted to rescue" Those are just two of many examples of idiots posting on boards, thereby making it crappy. What kind of idiots have you guys seen on boards. (other than me, of course) ;)

2. There are other boards??? :confused:

Taluntain, have you considered a Diablo 2 forum? True, it's more of an action game with RPG elements, but now that I have beaten Icewind Dale and turned my full attention to Diablo 2, I am hoplessly addicted. I played it for 10 hours straight this past Saturday, about 25 hours total for the whole weekend. The only thing that will be able to save me is BG2! And then I may become just as addicted to that!

[This message has been edited by Lord Balduran (edited September 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Lord Balduran (edited September 12, 2000).]

3. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hmm. I'm not that sure it's the stupidity of the people posting, but more or less the fault of the game company for not supplying a satisfying personality for that particular "NPC I saved from that Gnoll Keep east of Nashkel".

Imoen and Minsc are the two most talked about characters, because of their personality and the way they "attached" themselves to us during our game play.

Believable NPCs go a long way for creating that atmosphere a game company or even Dungeon Master wants to portray. I think it was just poor creativity skills that were involved for more than a handful of NPCs in BG.

Hopefully, BG2 will remedy that.

Sylvus

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hm, might as well. I'll make a new board for the discussion of all other RPGs, but it'll require you to put the game you play in the topic to avoid confusion. So use D2 for Diablo 2, Vamp for Vampire etc.
    It'll be visible at the main forum listing in a few.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Err, scratch that. The server's having some problems again so I'm not modifying the boards until it gets fixed.
    Is anyone else experiencing the dreaded Internal Server Errors?

6. Wingfoot Guest

yeah a couple times today.

7. The first few times I tried to respond to Taluntain's question, I had problems with my Internet Explorer. It crashed after a few attempts. Which I guess answers your question.

I also had problems accessing the internet at work today. Of course you could argue that I'm not supposed to access the internet at work. To which I respond: ttttthhhhhhhppppbbbbbttttt!! :p

8. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

For a really scary amount of idiots on a board visit white wolf's werewolf the apocalypse forum. I thought it might have stuff about the RPG on it. How wrong i was :(
    It's a sad day when idiots like that get anywhere near a rulebook.

9. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] And these message boards are really well organized! Haven't seen anything like this. Many other boards have a system like this:

etc.

That's very confusing when you get like 15 replies. This system is much better. Keep up the good work, Taluntain!

10. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Out of interest, whats happened to the fat egg? Havn't heard from him in a long time...

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Maybe he HATCHED *drumroll*.
    I just couldn't let that one pass by. :D

12. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Boards I've come across and rarely bother to sign up to are those with the following:

Anyone asking for a good walkthrough and they are pointed to a site other than the one mine can be found on :)

Ok. Seriously. This is what pisses me off in a message board:

A recent post made during the day of a topic that is only 5-6 posts down in thread of the exact same question.

Anything with "<race, class> UNITE!" which has 100+ replies of people saying "Yeah man! I'm in!"

Any posts with topics such as "Testing my sig!" and people reply with lines upon lines of sigs, both animated and static.

Anyone who thinks a board is good just because it gets 100+ posts a day, which 90% are filled with the above examples while the other 10% are about the game in general.

Over all, I look for a board with a more mature posting atmosphere or at least people who can post a good message.

"Yo sup........k....i wuz like taking imoen (man she is soooo hot yo!) and she wuz turned 2 stone how do i get her back yo?"

Posts like these turn me off as I enjoy a good message just like anyone else, but also like more depth to the post and/or detail to it.

Clean posts with little or no spelling errors are also nice to see on a message board. It shows an older audience or well groomed message poster. I always try and spell words correctly, although that may not always be the case, I'd think others would do the same. How you portray yourself on a message board is very important to your overall attitude and how others will see you. Yes, it's just text, but there is also a personality behind it that people like to see.

I only post on two boards myself. Sorcerer's Place because it has good posts and regulars who help me out and vice versa and there is good variety to the posts and tales.

The other is BGDungeon's Message boards but I have not posted there in a very long time. I tried to help out as much as I could and get to know everyone there, but it was too much. Way too many questions of questions which were questions only 5-6 threads down, already answered numerous times by the same people who replied to the same damn question the other day! ARG!

Way too many Paladin lovers and "Paladins UNITE!"

Way too many animated sigs, new sig posts which slows the board down in general and simply bogs it down.

Quality over quantity.

That's where I stand.

Syl...

13. Taluntain

Media:
    I'm glad you got to your senses. When I was propagating that slogan a while ago you didn't seem to receptive to it's charm.
    Well, as long as you've seen the light. May the Unseeing Eye guide you straight into the next wall and all that. :p

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 27, 2000).]

14. Sniper Gems: 28/31

So would you classify me as one of the 'mature' ones, a dimwit or a bit of both?

15. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

What can I say? I failed my saving throw vs Charm Person :)

Syl...

16. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

I have learned through experience not to answer such trick questions :)

Syl...

17. Taluntain

Media:
    You know what they say... Stick to the middle if you're not sure which way to go. ;)

18. Sol'Kanar Guest

[​IMG] Paladins uniting? Oh goody if they cluster up I can get them all with one fireball! Seriously, though, I agree. Most other post sites are filled with mindless stupidity. Like that guy who posted the other day using "letters" that took several attempts by various people to decrypt. Fortunatly, little or none of this stupidity is ever experienced on this lovely site. It is good to see boards where an actual intelligant conversation can be held with well-versed gamers.

19. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Ok...er...middle it is!

And down with the PALADINS! We wizards rule!

20. Sol'Kanar Guest

Wizards Rule! SO does this site!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.