1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Many questions about PCs - memory/viruses

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Orkrist the Cleaver, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] OK, I have many questions here, if anyone can help me please let me know.

1. While playing games, sometimes the game just crashes to the desktop, but restarts fine. Other times, I get a blue error screen that says something like error 00000.11123.09 occured at 888.444dfs33 or something. UI press a key and I go to the desktop, however I can't do anything until I reboot the computer. This seems to have started when I installed some RAM I got on the cheap (why don't the cheap people ever learn?!)

2. Could it be a virus? I get the same crashing problem when I'm on-line (less often), as well as the blue screen.

3. I was messing with IWD the other day, and it wouldn't install HOW. So I ran it from SETUP, and instead of installing it it goes to the uninstall wizard and then says it can't uninstall it because if some reason I don't understand. I had to totally eliminate all IWD data for my PC to work right for some reason, which meant save games, too, but I think I'm done with the game anyway. Also, when I was trying to install/uninstall it, and I clicked on IWD.exe on the D drive menu (O tried it this way, too) the menu screen for "My Computer" came up. Whats up with that?

4. I got TOB today. I couldn't install BG2 until I took out my new RAM, installed it, then put the RAM back. After installing TOB, it wouldn't play because I was missing a path to BGMAIN.exe or something, but when I put in the new screwy RAM, it worked fine.

So, is it possible for incompatible RAM (although it is compatible label wise) to corrupt the whole C drive/system? Could I have a virus? If so, where can I DL a virus detector or purge my system? I've already defragged a few times. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

5. Oh yeah, I deleted all possible temp internet files I could find (haven't done that for a looooong time. It was like 50 MB of data). Can this cause problems, to delete so much?

Thanks for reading and for your patience with a retarded PC user!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I have tried to play Deus Ex twice, and both times my computer completely freaks out. There is an option for play style if you lack a really good vid card (I do) but even that way, it devastates my PC. It errors out and then when I get out of the game, I have tons of problems just using the desktop. How can it wreak such havoc?

[This message has been edited by Orkrist the Cleaver (edited August 10, 2001).]

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If you have a virus, then all of us have virus.

Those problems are perfectly normal and regular issues of "user friendly" operating system we're using... :mad:

Uncle Bill's OS. :rolleyes:

3. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

hmm i dont seem to have to remove my ram ever! Hopefully you are using windows 98 and can do this go :

start menu
    Programs
    Accesories
    system tools
    system information

a window will open choose , Tools then system file checker. I have had problems sometimes when a file becomes corrupt.

if it finds a corrupt file you can replace it usually off the win98 cd.

If not that.. um try not using the new ram at all , do you have the old ram?

Also you can install win98 overtop to restore your registry if you have had a virus or had files in your registry corrupted. Just use a win98 start up disk and do the install. You will not lose your information unless you reformat so dont be worried. You wont even lose your drivers all that remains intact.

Hopefully one of these things helps :D

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited August 11, 2001).]

4. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Blue Screen!

Oooh sorry that is a virus!

My friend told me about this one, he got peed of with it so he had to re format his whole hardrive.
    I think you get it by e-mail!

Geez i hate viruses! :(

5. Kitiara Gems: 14/31

you are misinformed Gormenghast. Blue screen does not mean you have a virus. It can mean many things but is usually driver related i believe.

6. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll be regularly messing with this thing so all your advice is helpful. I don't think its a virus, actually Gorg., there's an error either in the data cache or somewhere else, or something like that, but not a virus.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Blue screen is simply Bill Gates saying I OWN YOU. Sort of. ;)

Seriously, there should be a picture of him on every bloody blue screen so that people could channel their anger somewhere. But then display makers would need to start implementing reinforced glass and gridirons on every unit. :D

8. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Seems i have been missinformed, i explained it to my friend earlier this morning but she would not believe me! (She thinks she knows everything!)
    She says she got it be e-mail from haha@sexycom and it was about Snow White & Seven Dwarves!

But since you guys are more experienced, i ll believe you! :)

[This message has been edited by Gormenghast (edited August 13, 2001).]

9. Kitiara Gems: 14/31

ok yes snowwhite and the seven dwarfs is a virus. However you can get blue screen errors without a virus. Getting a blue screen does not mean you have a virus.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Indeed and BG2 virusses don't exist :)

Just a problem with Windows I suppose. I'm afraid there's only one solution: Reinstall the PC... FOrmat the HD and Reinstall WIndows and everyday... SHould be done every half year with windows... don't forgot to copy your savegames to CD or Floppy.

11. Kitiara Gems: 14/31

oh yes, i reformat my C: and reload windows at least once ever 6 months. I recommend if you have a big enough hard drive to partition at least a gig of space that way you can move all your important data, and not lose everything. Just a tip.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.