1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

mapping my campaign

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Muumli the Wayfarer, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Muumli the Wayfarer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I am preparing to DM my first campaign, but I find myself dwelling on maps. My friend, our current DM, is artistically inclined and can draw great maps. I, however, cannot, and in my searches for maps online, I often find conflicts between what I want to find and what I get. Currently, I am working on castles. I would kill for a floor plan of the Chateau de Chambord in France, but so far I am coming up empty-handed.
    Any tips or links would be helpful.

2. Void Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I think that you shouldn't focus on fancy maps. The players aren't going to see them etc. Just make something that you can understand and is funtional and all should be fine ;) . Also, don't spend the whole time making big maps, just make the first adventure and its area before you do anything else.

Alternatively, you could just use a ready-made campaign setting (forgotten realms etc.) which I use and find very good, though you do have to modify them to your taste. They all come with large, lavishly decorated maps.

3. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

After a very quick search, I found this site that might help you out: http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Chateau_de_Chambord.html

There are some images there you could use to 'guesstimate' the floor plan. And there's a 3D model you can download (didn't look at it, but it looked promising).

But, as Void said, I wouldn't worry too much about making overly fancy maps. You just need something that you can refer to, that gives you, as the DM, a birds eye view of what's going on. Although, I know how much fun it is to develope a map that you're really proud of ;) Still, it's much better to have a poor-quality map that provides a great adventure (or campaign), then to spend hours and hours on a map and have a poor-quality adventure. Have fun!

4. Muumli the Wayfarer Gems: 7/31

You are right, thanks. Oh, Gnolyn Lochbreaker, the 3d model, I had seen it before--It is definitly not what what you might think. It isn't even the same shape as the real building.

5. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I get stumped too when it comes to map making to fit a story. Here's what I find help fun when running a campain. Just write down a small line plot of what you want your players to do and other things that can happen if they dont do it or do it wrong. Then just make the story up as you go. You might be surprised as to how much more fun it is(the more you try to get them to stay on one path the harder it is to keep every thing going how you want it and keeping the players happy).

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

At the moment I have a whole bunch of maps in my binder that I draw when I can in class. They're not very good but I can understand them well enough

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] If your willing to drop the money Campaign Cartographer 2 is the best thing on the market right now. As for free stuff I have a few mapping programs off the net. Just search under DM tools and resources. Good luck.

8. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I find CC2 very powerful but so hard to use and user unfriendly :( I usually end up blocking things out in excell.

9. Muumli the Wayfarer Gems: 7/31

Does CC2 do castles? and how do you map out something using excel?

10. Herf Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I play in a few campaigns and in all of them the maps are nothing but pieces of paper that tells us where our characters have been and where we still have left to loot :D

One of my DM's draws single lines on a page for a corridor, if he goes over it again with his pencil then we know it's at least two-fighting wide :D Another one of my DM's draws maps perfectly, even when he isn't concentrating on what he's doing. His true masterpiece was an Orcen stronghold he made up on the spot with a secret entrance through a well in a nearby village, and he produced it all whilst drunk :D Another DM draws his maps very scrappily and many times the players have escaped through the gaps in the walls :D

So you see, the maps mean nothing, it's the DM that draws them that counts. Also, when filling in the map for your players, never remove it from the table and fill it out behind your screen, let your players see it as your fill it in. For some reason it makes all the difference, it lets the players see it as though they were looking around the room.

Of course, my maps are perfectly drawn... :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.