1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mass Effect world VS Dragon Age world

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Merlanni, Jan 14, 2010.

?

Which world/universe is best?

1. Dagon Age

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Mass Effect

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For myself after playing Dragon Age like the MNass Effect world/universe better.
    i did not bother to buy the Dragon Age books, but have the Mass Effect ones.

My vote is on the blue ladies and not the swamp witches. (And clicked the wrong one.)

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Can I go for the 3rd option? :D

I found Mass Effect to be entertaining (and, playing it on the PC, it was a much better game than the impression I had after experiencing it on the Xbox) and I have mixed feelings about Dragon Age (great in parts, awful in others). However in both games I found the world, universe and background lore to be dull and uninspired. Mass Effect has the typical space opera setting, with every trope that comes with it and no originality to speak of. Dragon Age has the typical high fantasy setting (despite claims that this would not be typical high fantasy), and with the exception of some twists that it tries (but not very hard) to pull it's pretty cliche. That said, although the worlds are rather uninspired they're well-done, and in the case of DAO the world isn't one of the "awful" parts I mentioned above. Still it would've been nice if Bioware had taken the opportunity to do something unique when given a chance to create their own IPs, rather than rehashing the old stuff, but I guess part of the appeal of space opera and high fantasy are seeing the same core with some new trappings, so I'm probably in the minority.

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ofcourse is Mass Effect a second hand Force, and Ferelden a second hand Forgotten Realms. But how to deal with it.

I like to say here, and do not like doing it on the Bioware propoganda forum, that I am not pleased with dragon Age's setting. Ferelden disgust me. it is so forced, so been there done that etc etc.

The game is not bad as such and fun to play.

Mass Effect kept me thinking about it that I got the books and enjoyed them. Not just the Asari, but the especially the citadel was nice.

4. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Ferelden felt so much more alive to me, the Mass Effect universe felt bland, dull, and empty. Sure, DA was a little clichéd, but I kinda like that.

5. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    There are elements in both that I really liked and areas in which I was disappointed in. Some tropes they carry rather well, some not.

As settings both could have been a lot, lot more.

Lorewise, both games do feel empty at times. Didn't read any of the complementary setting stuff so can't judge in general.

Couldn't compare them directly to one another, though, so didn't vote. (like... babe i žabe - frogs and grandmothers (can't be counted together) - not sure what the right English term for that is :p)

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The settings are fleshed out alot in the codex though, but I think it would have been better if it was more in-game, really. Having played both mass effect games, and dragon age + the expansion, I am hard pressed to pick a favorite. they both have alot going for them to be sure. I hope Bioware sticks with these two settings for a long long time.

7. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    That is a good point.

I probably spent more time reading the codex in ME then playing for the first few days. Later on, I kept wishing they'd actually invoke stuff from it in game. (like Turian culture :p)

8. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I haven't played Mass Effect so I can't vote. Still, you may be interested in knowing that there are rumours about a Mass Effect movie.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

An ME movie has so much potential to be awesome

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.