1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Messenger Service

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Sydax, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] It is a kind of popout that comes out every now and then when I'm in the web, it says this:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-043
    Buffer overrun in Messenger service could allow code execution (828035)
    affected software: winxx bla bla
    non affected: winM

Your system is affected, download the patch from the address below!
    First type the address below into your internet browser, then click ok, the address will disappear once you hit ok.
    www:windowspatch:net
    (I put ":" because I don't want anyone click there and something bad happen)
    What is this? is for real?

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think the fact that this supposed patch is not coming from the actual microsoft website would be a dead give away that it is not for real - besides microsoft does updates via the automatic update feature these days.

3. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

That's what I think, also everytime I boot my pc, the last thing loaded is a link for an automatic update for WinXp itself if I want to do it.
    Anyway, I don't do what it says, but I have to warn my girfriend who uses the same pc and she just go pressing ok aorund all the time.
    However, is the first time I see this warning that's why I doubted if I should do what it says. I don't like much to update anything from the web itself, I just look for an official patch then I download it to proced.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If I were you I would try using ad-aware and/or spysweeper to identify and eliminate the program causing the pop-ups.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Im getting the same damned thing. I checked it and when it said something about $15 I knew not to go any further.
    Use SpyWare Nuker.
    In the free version you have to manually delete the spyware files, but thats not much of a problem.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    If you're refering to Windows Messenger and not MSN Messenger, I'd recomend that you simply disable Windows Mesenger since certain adware, spyware, trojans, and other bad stuff like that can use Messenger to get on to your computer, also you'll notice a drop in the amount of pop-up ads you get! To disable it go to Start > Run and type msconfig and hit enter. This will bring up the System Configuration Utility. Click on the services tab at the top and scroll down until you find a service called "Messenger". Uncheck the box next to it and click apply, and then close. After clicking close, it will ask you if you want to restart, or exit without a restart. Click 'Exit Without Restart'. The next time you boot up a dialog box will pop up telling you that you've ran the System Configuration Utility...just click the box to "never show this again" and click 'OK'...otherwise it will open the Utility when you click 'OK'. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.