1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mexican Yucatan state publishes guide to "migration"

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by ArtEChoke, Feb 22, 2005.

1. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Yucatán helping migrants go north
    Guide, DVD show Mexicans how to cross border, send cash home

I'm still not sure this isn't a joke... in fact I don't really know what to say about it.

Its a state published guide to getting across that border through any means possible. It includes the process of applying for a visa, and the process of crossing the Arizona desert:

That being said, I'm actually going to be in Mexico on Friday, maybe I can score a copy!

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've seen references to this kind of thing in several places, so I don't think it's a joke.

I certainly don't like it. Shouldn't they be spending government money on giving their people reasons to stay rather than showing them how to do illegal things to leave?

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Well, Mexico seems to get a lot of money from Mexicans working in the US (16.6 billion dollars last year), so as the nation gradually becomes richer and richer they can do more to let people stay, Mexico is acting like a leech sucking blood from it's victim.

4. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Mexico's secondary source of income is money sent home from America. They're trying to invest in that and make a larger pool of immigrants that send the more valuable American currency home. Sucks for us. I get the feeling that quite a lot of California's deficit has to do with this.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not surprised that the source was an Arizona newspaper. From what I hear Arizona is getting close to armed revolt to keep the Mexicans out. The citizenry are very upset that their tax dollars are being spent on people they don't even want in the country instead of defending the border.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Hmm. I suppose I need to make a video in order to show my government how to prevent illegal migration. I think I'll title it, "After mining the border...."

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The US needs Mexican and other countries workers to keep those Walmart goods (but not limited to Walmart) at a 'low-low' price. Thats why 90% get through the boarder. They only catch a small amount to please the US citizens...

8. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Damn, someone from N. Ireland understands this issue better than the vast majority of Americans: that is embarrassing.

Everyone is so divided on this issue that they can't see the solution when it is right in front of their faces.

The fact is, we need cheap labor, and Hispanic workers are a readily available resource. It seams obvious to me that the solution is to close the borders, take applications, and allow a certain number of registered workers to stay for a limited time (a 1 year or 5 year permit). This would allow us to know who is here and what they are doing. It would also allow us to set the expectations of what rights and benefits these workers would be entitled to.

There are quite a few checks and balances that will be necessary to prevent these people from becoming a de facto sub-class citizens, but I think that if we could forget the political party lines for a while we could come up with something that is not only better for the US, but for these workers as well.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
  10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I have an "alternative" approach. I say we guard our borders like Germany guards it's borders.

Anyway, Somethingawful has the good stuff that everyone wants. It's a pretty decent read, and worth a couple of laughs.
    (note -- To the best of my knowledge (by blocking referrers), that Somethingawful link is "safe")

11. Ragusa

Media:
    Nothing wrong with our aproach to secure our borders today.

I'm happy that you didn't say east-german.

12. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

When Ragusa's paycheck is tapped to cover the medical insurance of 'undocumented workers', we'll discuss that then.

There are too many workers here already who are willing to accept work...we no longer need to attract more.

13. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Do Germans guard their borders ? I thought the only border the German guard to today is the border to us. All others, I thought are under the sway of free market and free immigration of the Schengen-treaty. Yeah, free market and it's ramifications and implications is a scary, scary thing.

14. xzeon2000 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I know a few people who live in the city of Merida and have been myself recently. They have never heard anything about this before. They say it's quite obviously fake. For whatever reason I don't know. Nothing coming from America surprised me in the slightest anymore.

16. Ragusa

Media:
    Merida? Great city, wouldn't it be for the climate ... it's like a blast furnace in the summer, with high humidity and barely any wind. The city itself, is great however - you always get a special "no bad gringo-price - special price for Germans" there :shake: no kidding, btw ;) (I bet they ripped me off anyway).

Really very nice people there. And then there's :beer: Leon Negra :beer: ... And this nice hotel owned by this crazy brit ... :)

And as for the topic, yes, it indeed could be a plant - like this very obvious one (never thought GOP folks could actually be funny).

There are many people in the U.S. who are afraid of immigration - why not fuel their cause by faking such a guide? That would be entirely plausible.

What strikes me as somewhat odd is that this guide was issued by mexian authorities - who should know better than pissing off the big northern neighbour.

But then, it's Mexico. Their claim to do this to help their citizens, who go to the U.S. anyway, and to inform them about the risks of getting in touch with smugglers could be well correct, like: If you can't change it, try to reduce the harm.

[ March 07, 2005, 21:24: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.