1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Microsoft Anti-Spyware (beta) discussion

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ox, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Ox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] ...have been using the beta Anti-Spyware solution for about a month now. I like its smooth interface, the automatic scans and its automatic updates feature works well; it has updated twice so far.

...only one complaint about it: 'the suspected spyware reporting tool' doesn't work; I get the 'server protocol is not correct' page when I send the report. This, of course, is rubish as you can see. ie I'm posting here at SP :)

...so if anybody has run across this same problem and was able to fix it please PM me with the fix.

post any comments you have on the (beta) anti-spyware microsoft here.

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ox, I must say that you are quite brave, or quite stupid. ;)

Not many dares to have MS mess with your anti-virus settings.

Even less dare to let them have automatic updates.

And I have heard of very few that dares to have a MICROSOFT BETA installed on their system. I mean, the disclaimers when you installed the thing must've taken ages to load.

Yes, I hate Microsoft and all under it, like EA, with a passion.

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I won't even touch it.

I mean, it's Microsoft, we're in this mess to start with because of Microsoft. I guess the antispyware will have holes in it's update system for new spyware to come in. :p

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ox, get rid of the MS thing and get Ad-aware. That's the best advice I can give you. The personal edition of it is free, it's dead easy to use, and it's the best spyware removal tool out there.

5. Ox Gems: 4/31

Ad-aware is online and running longer than microsoft's beta anti-spyware. :)

you may be interested to know that microsofts' beta anti-spyware found three malware's on my computer that Ad-aware, spy-bot, and McAfee all missed :eek:

I am sure that they each found stuff that the other's also missed :D

*MS the boogey men for the new age :cool:

my opinion is that they control 2/3 of the operating software used for controlling operating systems world wide

their os is sloppy and is a major pig sucking up system resources and wallowing in disk space :mad:

they have F I V E major security holes within their os they refuse to fix; these are collectively known as the DSO exploits-MS claims these are needed for net updates :confused:

in any case I like their beta anti-spyware

which another company developed but which ms became owner of when they bought the company, a standard buisness practice for ms :cool:

and to get back to the reason for this thread

does anyone out there use this beta and couldn't send an anti-spy report in? or, if you could; post that too if you would

[ January 29, 2005, 14:45: Message edited by: Ox ]

6. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I've actually been thinking about giving it a shot. I back up everything and have gotten rebuilding my machine down to an artform, so at the worst, I'd be set back a couple of hours if something went awry. The company I work for relies heavily on MS software, and there's really not a good enterprise solution for spyware detection and removal. I'll be curious to see how this MS anti-spyware turns out and how it will work in an enterprise environment.

7. Ox Gems: 4/31

Shalladeth,

I've rebuilt my machine so many times I'd classify it as a picasso artform. am just now starting down the road toward intelligent back-ups thanks to Ghost 9.0 . . .

MS anti-Spyware (beta): does anyone out there use this beta?- and couldn't send an anti-spy report in? or, if you could; post that too

[ January 29, 2005, 14:47: Message edited by: Ox ]

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Hehe, this sounds like a good business-plan from MS: create a OS full of holes, sell it, then create a program to fix those holes, and since the first will create to the second, that is almost like 2x winnings. :D

Next, a program to fix the second programs holes? :p

9. Ox Gems: 4/31

Wirhe,

there's also the business-plan from MS: keep your OS loose so it takes up more disk space and requires faster CPU's in order to run all new programs faster. wallah! you have on OS that now generates higher disk and resource allocation which gives the user reason to keep upgrading both his software and his hardware; especially his/her CPU speed. a great marriage for MS and Intel. AMD still comes in at 2d place. . .

but to get back to the thread...

MS anti-Spyware (beta): does anyone out there use this beta?- and couldn't send an anti-spy report in? or, if you could; post that too

10. Necaradan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I use this program, its pretty good. I successfully reported the first time I scanned my PC and got lots of spyware removed and I have never had any spyware on my system since (I also never get pop-ups anymore, I don't think this is a part of the anti-spyware but the MS program got rid of the thing that was disabling my anti-popups software)

11. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I installed this last night and let it do it's thing. Didn't find anything, so I haven't tested the reporting feature.

Is anyone using the Real-Time Protection? Is this the equivalent of Spybot's TeaTimer?

12. Necaradan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Once the Application Agent stopped one of my programs downloading an ActiveX control.

The track eraser is good too, you can look at prOn without nobody finding out!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.