1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Midnight Sons (Marvel comic characters)

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Beren, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, overshadowed by Spider-Man, Captain America, and the other mainstay Marvel comic book heroes, were the Midnight Sons.

The Midnight Sons were a loosely assembled group of 'heroes' and anti-heroes, whose lives having been ruined by supernatural forces, protected the world from villains of the occult variety. The comic books involved were a creative attempt to blend comic-book action with occult horror. Unfortunately, the concepts couldn't find a big enough audience, and many of them sputtered.

Anyway, I've created this thread for two reasons.

1) One is to see if anyone else is willing to share their thoughts on this series.

2) To see if anyone knows what's been happening with the characters since Blade, Darkhold, and Midnight Stalkers were cancelled.

A few of my thoughts ...

Fav "Heroes":

Michael Morbius - Started off as a gentle scientific researcher, but turned himself into a pseudo-vampire after a botched attempt to find a cure for his own disease. Spent many years as a desperate murderer, but then confined his predatory habits to the path of retribution on a promise to Ghost Rider. Even then, he's still a horribly conflicted and tormented character, not unlike Gollum.

Blade - I thought the movies were o.k. But I found the comics priceless. Often wages an inner struggle with his desire for vengeance against all vampires, and his need to remain a normal and decent human being.

Blaze - A biker with a street-attitude and a mean Hellfire gun. But he's really a family man at heart, and therein lies his suffering, and his resentments against Dr. Strange and Caretaker.

Fav Villains:

Dracula - I love Marvel's interpretation of Dracula, which actually holds very little back.

Lilith - Her title of "Mother of all Demons" is more figurative than literal. An extremely powerful enchantress who was defeated by the Atlantean sorcerers of ages past. This arch-nemesis of the midnight sons always plots to break down the dimensional walls that will allow her 'children' to take over the world.

Zarathos - Ancient demon who loves to cross paths with Ghost Rider and Blaze.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have read some about these midnight sons but I never knew they were called that. Most of them starred Ghost Rider with the other guys as sideshows. Morbius had quite a lot to do with Spiderman too iirc. I quite liked the series but it was a little silly in its attempt to be serious and dark.

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Are the Blade comics really good? I picked up an issue once and was not really impressed by the shoddy art, obscure plot, and strange dialogue.

Or maybe it's better to purchase a collected edition as opposed to single issues.

I don't know. Perhaps you could elaborate further, Beren.

Loved the movies, though. Gratitious violence and bloodshed always make my day. :evil:

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I guess quality is in the eye of the beholder so to speak.

I wasn't sure if anybody was going to respond for the very reason that the series themselves didn't score a big market. (Sort of like my Sorak/Dark Sun topic)

Well, crossing my fingers in the meantime ...

5. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Really only read a few issues of the non-Ghost Rider books outside of the 'major crossover events' but in all, the few I did read weere really quite good overall. I actually still have pretty much every issue of every comic I ever bought.

Probably my favourite heores would have to have been:

Ghost Rider for being so devoted to avenging the blood of innocents in GR form, and still quite realistic in Dan Ketch form

Blaze for the same reasons stated by Beren

Dr Strange for the fact that he showed that he wasn't afraid to 'get his hands dirty' - at least the few times I recall reading his book.

Favourite villains:

Not really much to offer outside of Beren's mentions and for basically the same reasons.

As I said, didn't really read too many outside of GR and GR/Blaze

two villains that were a bit of a letdown though were Blackout and Vengeance. Blackout just came across as very weak towards the end of my run when he started out looking quite promising (I began reading around Issue 25 of GR which IIRC was when Blackout first killed Dan Ketch) and Vengeance reeked too much to me of the Spider Man 'clone saga' with not much effort put in to the conclusion.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.