1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Might and Magic: World of Xeen (and its ancestors)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Xaelifer, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Anyone a fan of Xeen? That was a really cool game. I think that the M&M series kind of went down the drain after that. Nowadays it seems like they all have crappy graphics and gameplay, and corny storylines. But that's just me - I'm probably wrong. What do ya'll think?

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Which number was World of Xeen? I've only played 6, 7 and 8. I don't care anything about the graphics, as long as it's not messy and buggy. Love Might and Magic 6 and 7, and only because of gameplay and story.

3. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

World of Xeen was 4 and 5 (if you installed them both on your hard drive, they combined and got a whole new ending!)

I like M&M 6 and 7, I don't think they have bad graphics (heck, they sure are better than 4 and 5), and the plot really isn't that different (the plot of M&M4 was: There's an evil mage called lord Xeen, you are the only hope of the kingdom, go kill him.) M&M 6 and 7 had neat plots, with some sci-fi well blended in (not like the droids with two miniguns each at the end of M&M 5 ;)) M&M 8 was a letdown, though. It was a nice game but it felt too much like an expansion disk for M&M 7. Five party members and dragons made the game far too easy, as it wasn't really deadly otherwise, either. Oh, and not letting you create a party from the beginning of the game was a mistake.

And the gameplay works well (thank the gods for turn based mode).

p.s. The inventory change was the best thing ever for the series. (In M&M 1-5 the inventory didn't consist of pictures, but of object names that only could be identified in shops and the information wasn't saved anywhere. So every time you needed the info it was off to the shop again unless you had it written down. Ick.)

4. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I've been playing M&M since the beginning, and I'll agree it has gotten better for graphics and such, but the last one (VIII), was not that great. The plot line, and the lack of improvements over VII just didn't cut it. I am waiting anxiously for IX though, 3do seems to be getting closer. And as to the original point of this thread, I really enjoyed Xeen, I still occasionally go back and play it, just to remember the good old days.

5. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

17 days to launch of Might and Magic IX :D. It's been a while since the last game now. This one has to be good.

6. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

They are makin number nine? Hope it works on my comp, so I can keep on saying that I have them all ;)

7. Relic Gems: 7/31

17 days? I didn't realize it was that close. All I've ever seen are reviews, and the official 3do website, which just gives no information whatsoever.
    Any word on Heroes of M&M 4?

8. comicspaul Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have the Clouds of Xeen game in a RPG collection I bought a while back, although I have only managed to make it work once (dunno how I managed that), but it was cool in a sort of retro way.

And I like Might & Magic VII, especially the strange card game you could play in the taverns.

9. Relic Gems: 7/31

Arcomage, that card game was a hoot. I think they even created it as it's own game, and published it a year or so ago. I haven't heard too much about it, other than it can be played online.

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Heroes of Might and Magic IV is scheduled to be released at the same day as M&M IX.

11. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Hmmm...can't really say. The only Might and Magic games I have played are World of Xeen, and Darkside of Xeen, but as far back as I can recall(that games been sitting on the shelf for years)the plots a bit more interesting than
    Some really important guy is stuck in a tower and you have to rescue him and discover who Xeen is on the way I think. Also Xeens pet the dragon gets you caught up in this weird dragon quest which involves killing the dragon king I think.

And I think there's some quest where you have to kill the golem king.

[This message has been edited by Lithorn (edited March 29, 2002).]

12. Xenomorph Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have cloud of Xeen and Might and Magic VII and I really like them. Especially the last because you can side with good or evil.

13. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

No need to kill the dragon king or any golems. Xeen's pet is just a normal monster that rushes you and gets killed. All right, so you need to rescue Crodo before killing Xeen. So the plot becomes 'You are the only hope of the world, you have to rescue Crodo, Crodo tells you of an evil wizard called lord Xeen who wants world domination, go kill him.' Don't argue, I played it through less than a year ago (I know it's ten years old, who cares about graphics?) and my memory is still fresh. Entertaining game though. (The introduction in the manual is far more entertaining than the in-game plot, by the way. Poor Roland.)

14. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Sorry. I played that game years ago.

[This message has been edited by Lithorn (edited April 01, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.