1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Might & Magic

Discussion in 'Playground' started by dmc, Jan 19, 2010.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    OK - to start, the only one of these I ever played was the first, back on my Apple ][ who knows how long ago. I read DotW's thread and it looks like the later ones have some support and are still playable. I'm thinking of going retro and trying one or more of them out. What's the consensus for good/bad on these, what will still work without too much finagling, etc.

FYI - my machine is several years old, has an nVidia 6600 something or other, so I don't have anything vaguely like a top of the line machine to worry about here. I like a good dungeon crawl/hack fest that's not buggy, and am more than happy to have some puzzles to solve as well. I'm not expecting the second coming of BG or anything like that, so no worries.

TIA.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    M&M 6 is the game I would recommend. It should be no problem for you on a Windows XP computer (but you will need a patch). M&M 7 is very much like 6, but not easily played on XP (you might need DOS Box). In any event, I would stick with #6 - great game.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=707

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

DMC, if you really like old-school games and don't mind old-school graphics, I would recommend starting from the beginning. M&M are classics and I rate them alongside the Ultima Series and the Wizardry Series as top of my list old-school fun. Chandos is right about # 6, great game. 1-5 were lots of fun for me as a teen.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    It's more about dungeon crawling and character building and development. The strong point of these games is that they are not linear. You'll never know a dungeon is too hard for you until a monster kills one of your characters with one hit.

The graphics are a bit outdated but the game is fun. I recommend Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven and Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor.

Great games. ;)

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Actually, Mok has released patches for MM6-8 which makes the game works just fine and irons out bugs.

But I'm glad my thread inspired you to play M&M. Great games, MM6 is a timeless classic, which is why I'm still playing it. MM7 is good but not as good as MM6, and MM8... what a huge letdown. Silly storyline, ridiculously overpowering -- you CAN recruit 4 dragons and there is a tweak to have a *dragon* as first character, so that's 5. The game is WAAAY to generous with the artifacts/relics. In MM6, one was GENUINELY happy to find such an incredibly powerful item. In MM8, it's like "Oh, great, another [censored] relic/artifact. Where the hell am I going to put that?"

It's a great dungeon crawl/hack, and the worthwhile puzzle is the obelisks... the payoff in ridiculously insanely good.

6. Chandos the Red

Media:
    [​IMG] Mok?!!!!

I'm sure you mean someone else....:hmm: Check out #6....:mommy:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mok

7. Disciple of The Watch

...this is weird

Talking about the patch for MM6 by Mok... the name of guy, not slang.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I wonder if Mok knew what he was getting into when he picked this as his internet nickname :lol:

I just found out that someone has updated Mok's patches. I've not tried them but from the description they have some very nice fixes for issues still present in Mok's (such as items vanishing from chests if there wasn't enough space to spawn them - VERY annoying when it happens to an artifact).

As for which games to recommend, DotW's description of 6-8 is spot on. I don't dislike MM8 as much as he does and still enjoyed playing it, but it's by far the weakest of the trilogy. I would go with Blades' recommendation though and play through the entire series (for added fun, if you like the Heroes series, alternate between both series as the story requires). The first game is HARD, by far the hardest in the series, and it's so unforgiving that I always have trouble recommending it, but it has some very good aspects, so truly crazy puzzles and some very challenging encounters.

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Personally i liked MM 6-8 the most. Especially number 6. Number 8 was way too easy. I remember finding Caurie Blackthorne when I was around level 8. She was level 50 when i found her, and had grandmaster merchant skill. All my money troubles were gone.
    Number six is one of my all time favorite games, I think. its right up there with Betrayal at krondor, and the BG games.

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Sorry, DotW. I had no idea who the guy was. That's just what came up when I googled "Mok," and there were no other links for M&M. I should have used Might & Magic in the search.

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just to be clear, when talking about the whole series, are you guys suggesting to go back to the Secret of the Inner Sanctum? I trotted that out a couple of months ago (I think it was on an abandonedware site) and it was okay for a while and I got about half way before the creaking and groaning from its ancient architecture got to me. I'm not sure I want to go THAT retro, if you know what I mean.

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    DMC - No, not that one. That's a really old game - like the 1980s. I really would give #6 a try though....

13. Ziad

Media:
    Actually that is the ones Blades and me were talking about :)

If you found MM1 to be too ancient, then I also suggest you skip #2 as well. MM2 uses an updated engine with much better graphics, but it is the same engine after all, which means lots of random combat, very slow progression, and did I mention LOTS of combat? 2 is even worse than 1 in this respect.

So, to sum it up, the series went through 3 major engines, and the reason I'm splitting them like this is because the gameplay and age of the "architecture" as you refer to it is pretty much the same within a certain engine. So 1-2 are the old step-movement, all-text combat. You can also only save at inns, so in only 5 places in the entire world map; considering how MASSIVE the games are this can be very annoying (especially in the tougher parts of MM1). The game also resets all enemies, chests, etc whenever you reload a game (which possibly occurs every time you enter the inn, ie also when you save...), which means redoing some of the same surface fights. 3-5 use a completely different step-movement engine, with much better graphics, and where the enemies appear in the distance and approach, and there is a finite number of them. You can also save anywhere, and the game does NOT reset in any way. Once you've done something, it stays done. And finally 6-8 use the free-flowing 3D engine with 2D sprites.

I would really say to at least finish MM1, just because it's got such an unusual story (and a very bizzarre ending), but if it's just too old for you then I suggest you give 3 a try instead. The changes in engine and the permanency of your actions on the world make it MUCH more accessible, and less of a chore to go through. 3, 5 and 6 are IMO the best games in the series, but since 4 and 5 can be combined in to the same game (World of Xeen) you might as well just start with 3 and play all the way through.

14. dmc

Media:
    I actually remember MMI pretty darned well, seeing as how I hadn't played it in years. I was able to find that stat fountain in the first outside area really quickly, which helped ease the tedium of the beginning, and I remember the ending as well. I even remember FEDBAC as one of the codes for putting together those cryptic messages, and I remember some of the amazingly cheesy encounters like dragon hall meeting where you fought all of the different dragons as well as a major demon and devil and were rewarded with a black box treasure drop the first few times you did it. (Have I mentioned that I have a pretty good memory for games, songs, movies, tv shows and books?)

Anyway, I'll look up III then and see if I like it. If so, I'll march through to at least VI. If not, I'll probably start at VI.

Is III a for sale thing or is it abandonware?

15. Ziad

Media:
    Legally? there is no such thing as Abandonware. Practically? we'll turn a blind eye, and so will Ubisoft (the current copyright holders) :p

I hadn't realised you'd already finished MM1, as you first thread only mentions you've played it a long time ago - I assumed you hadn't completed that playthrough. I'm impressed you remember so much of it! I do not remember any of the codes to solve the messages, but I do remember the dragon fight, as well as the demon fight under that city... the one where you had to have all-female party members and was ruled by a succubus. That was fun. I will also never forget how to free Ogg. That puzzle got me stomped for a LONG time until I finally managed to put all the pieces together - so satisfying when I did!

I don't think any of the M&M games have been reissued recently, so they're probably all out of print. The last compilation that included MM1-5 was Might & Magic Classics, and that was easily 10 years ago (probably closer to 12; I think it was released at the same time as MM6). So if you want to get a legal copy you're REALLY going to have a lot of trouble. Abandonware copies of 1-5 should be all over the place though.

Depending on what you don't like about MM3, you may still want to try World of Xeen. If you dislike the engine completely then skip to 6, but if you just feel it's not polished enough then go for WoX, as it's the same engine but much cleaner. Definitely use DOSBox for 3-5 though. Especially for 3 you'll need to find the right number of cycles where things move quickly enough but not so quickly that they look ridiculous. WoX has no such problem as it has a built-in frame limiter.

Newsflash: just noticed that GoG are selling MM1-6 for the low price of $10. If the only one you have is 1 then go for it. 6 by itself is worth the price, but if you end up playing 3 and WoX as well then that's a really good deal. Not to mention you get shiny PDF manuals, cluebooks, and so forth.

16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Now I am struck with the MM bug too. Thinking of digging out my MM6 cds... However, the thought of Castle Darkmoor pops into my head, so I find myself weary of doing so. Its arguably the worst dungeon I have ever experienced in any crpg.

17. Ziad

Media:
    Hey, I think it's a great dungeon! One that most of us just happen to hate with a burning passion :D

But yeah I'm starting to get the bug too... although if I'm going to replay them I will do it properly and start with MM1... and that game's difficulty always puts me off :shake:

18. Disciple of The Watch

Castle Darkmoor... the only thing that makes this dungeon worthwhile is the thought that while this dungeon will drive someone on the edges of the edges of insanity, the payoff is incredibly SWEET. It's a good place to become EXTREMELY powerful... it just requires a cool head, lots of time, and good gear.

While this dungeon brings my piss to a boil, and makes me curse worse than a drunken marine on LSD, I am actually glad I did it when I look at the loot/XP.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  19. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Betrayal at Krondor? Never tried or read about it, though I have seen it on the shelf. Though i am familiar with the books. Is this one worth playing? Can you describe it?

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.