1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mobile Dismantling

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by The mad haggis, Aug 14, 2006.

1. The mad haggis Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

How easy is it to dismantle a mobile phone. My old Sharp GX20 (which is great) is old and battered looking. Plus it has started to stop charging and turns itself off in my pocket. I have ordered a used one from e-bay, but want to keep the handset memory as it has pics of my little girl aged 1 hour old. Would it be tricky to do a swap. From old phone to new. Have ordered the litle screwdriver for the GX20.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

You're talking about internal flash memory? This is actually very tricky. First, you need to open the old phone and find the memory chip. Then, desolder it. Next, you need to open the new phone, desolder the old chip, and resolder the new chip.

Basically, you'll need a soldering iron with a micro tip, a desoldering pump, a magnifying glass and a VERY steady hand. Board-mounted components are very small, and if you're not careful it's easy to burn or damage circuits or stuff like that.

The safest option (also the one I recommend) would be getting a data cable off eBay, and sync the old phone with your PC and stash all the pics on your hard drive rather than trying to screw around with the electronics.

3. The mad haggis Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I was thinking just change the circuit boards. the old phone is only twitchy around the battery and Charger. Luckily I work in an electronics factory filled with people who can replace IC's. Even very small fine pitch ones.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'd say you are still better off syncing it if all you want is the pics to be backed up.

Of course, if the phone is totally expendable, go for it. But then, you really should make a backup of all your data before you do something like that anyway...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.