1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

moment of silence

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by vonGriffin, Sep 18, 2002.

1. vonGriffin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

a mail delivered to my
    inbox:
    If you are still shaken by the horrifying scenes of September 11, please observe a moment of silence for the 5,000 civilian lives lost in the New York, Washington, DC and Pennsylvania attacks. While we're at it, let's have 13 minutes of silence for the 130,000 Iraqi civilians killed in 1991 by order of President Bush, Sr. Take another moment to remember how Americans celebrated and cheered in the streets.

Now another 20 minutes of silence for the 200,000 Iranians killed by Iraqi soldiers using weapons and money provided to young Saddam Hussein by the American government before the great eagle turned all its power against Iraq.

Another 15 minutes of silence for the Russians and 150,000 Afghans killed by troupes supported and trained by the CIA.

Plus 10 minutes of silence for 300,000 Japanese killed in Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the Atomic bombs dropped by the USA.

We've just kept quiet for one hour: one minute for the Americans killed in NY, DC, and Pennsylvania, 59 minutes for their victims throughout the world.

If you are still in awe, let's have another hour of silence for all those killed in Vietnam, which is not something Americans like to admit. The US went to another continent thousands of miles away and burnt tens of thousands of Vietnamese peasants with napalm.

Or for the massacre in Panama in 1989, where American troops attacked poor villagers, leaving 20,000 Panamanians homeless and thousands more dead.

Or for the millions of children who have died because of the USA embargoes on Iraq and Cuba.

Or the hundreds of thousands brutally murdered throughout the world by US-sponsored civil wars and coups d'etat (Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Bolivia, Guatemala, El Salvador to name a few).

Maybe, and although the memory of Americans claims otherwise, someone may remember t he USA attack on Baghdad where 18,000 civilians were killed. Did someone see it on CNN? Was justice ever served? Or was there even any retaliation?

We hope that Americans finally begin to understand their vulnerability and the attacks and other tragedies that they have caused around the world.

The dead in other places hurt as much as the dead of the Towers, maybe even more!

What about the 560,000 Iraqi children (as per current UN data) who have died as a direct cause of the US supported sanctions against Iraq? Are these the children of a lesser God?

What about a new generation of nearly one million Iraqi children who are currently having their lives being ruined by improper nutrition, lack of medicine and inferior education because of US supported sanctions.

Now, let's talk about terrorism, shall we?

[ September 18, 2002, 18:49: Message edited by: vonGriffin ]

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] And a moment of silence for those who are acting as smartasses.

What on earth is your message other than just mocking US? Is war terrorism or is terrorism war? When is war necessary, and what is the greater good? If you put up a thread like this be prepared to be prepared.

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

WTF!?!?!? America were still thrashed in that war, there's no need to bring up about killing civilians. I have an American Airbourne flag hanging in my room. It says "Kiil em all, let god sort em out. (Just thought i'd say that i'm not poking fun of Airbourne, just saying it's from VietNam

Methinks you just tried to bring up yet another America bashing argument and try to get us all to start aguing. For once we were all not arguing and now you're trying to provoke us all again. What a stupid thing to do you whiney mainland idiot.

[You know better than include personal insults in your posts, please refain from doing so in the future - BTA]

[ September 18, 2002, 19:25: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Always so one-sided. Like the litany of deaths caused by other nations are non-existant.

These two are my favorite:
    The US didn't directly cause any deaths here, but we sure were responsible! :rolleyes:

I also like how the sanctions on Iraq are only US supported, nobody else supprts them eh? And also the failure to note sanctions would be dropped as soon as Iraq complies with UN resolutions.

5. vonGriffin Gems: 3/31

This is not from me, just from my mailbox

why, thanks I`m sure NOT on your high level

[ September 18, 2002, 19:23: Message edited by: vonGriffin ]

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] No no no! It is from you. Yoda keeps yelling at you. Revealed your opinion is.

No one forced you to post it, right? Responsibility. Mark that concept. And it was you who started. Not Z-Layrex. You can't piss on someone and expect them to be happy about that.

[ September 18, 2002, 19:27: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

7. vonGriffin Gems: 3/31

I did`t say: "I entirely agree with this mail"

What are you? a kind of über dork? :mad:

8. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

You wouldn't post it if you didn't agree with it! :mad: We will NOT bow to you and start having another fight over whether America's evil or not, let it go. :toofar:

9. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I guess we're missing a point here.

Guess who benefits from war?... Politicians and industrial tycoons.

Politicians certainly raise their popularity when "going tough against the enemy" and tycoons don't have to worry about strikes, deal with few taxes and prepare a lot of the supplies "while it lasts".

So, in the end... Who likes war? You the poor infantry man sent to a cetein death, the lone sniper behind the enemy lines, waiting to be ambushed, the marines waiting in red alert for years... Or the politician and tycoon that "support" our troops and raise their "morale"... while "meditating and counseling" in a villa full of wine, food, hot chiks and lots of money without to even raise a finger to eat a grape.

Guess who wins?

And in the end?... Your war "for life" pension, your medal and no employment due to injuries or poor mental health?... After all you were the hero of the day.

Your "profits" from supplies which allow you to buy another mansion in another country, to own a bank, or to gain more chicks?... After all you "provided" the heroes.

Guess who likes it more?

It's not about America vs. Irak or Justice vs. Terrorism... It's about who profits most in the end.

10. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] It's threads like this one that make me wonder why I venture into Whatnots at all. It is becoming a dumping ground of rhetoric and personal insults.
    I have tried to encourage open, honest discussion when I reply to some slam on my country, but I realize that it is pointless. It is obvious to me that many of the folks posting this stuff don't want to actually discuss anything. They just want to take a cheap shot and walk away. It happens time and again.

11. Thanos Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Jack Funk (and others).

Give the guy a break. He said, in the original message, as well as in followups, that it wasn't HIS writing; he just forwarded it.

[EDIT]
    And by the way, I agree that it wasn't a good idea. Forgot to add that, thanks Slim for reminding me.
    [/EDIT]

And the 'personal insult' actually came from Z, who called him 'a whiney _mainland_ idiot' (as opposed to a whiney _island_ idiot, I suppose). What's with the British ultra-nationalism anyway? I have never heard that 'mainland' thing before.

Also, Jack, I do believe you are familiar with the concept of 'freedom of speech'? You seem so infuriated that everyone is 'bashing' the US...did you stop for a moment to think that there is a REASON why this is happening (i.e. why so many people from all over the world, even from INSIDE the US, are criticizing, or 'bashing' the current administration)? Maybe it is because they are doing something that is not very 'right', although it is quite 'right'? (bad pun, I know).

-thanos

[ September 18, 2002, 22:40: Message edited by: Thanos ]

12. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Oh, great!

I think I'll dump every piece of **** mail I get into Whatnots, most of it is on par with this crap...

[ September 19, 2002, 02:16: Message edited by: SlimShogun ]

13. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] @ Slim:

Well, everyone has a right to express an opinion. And the only ones that can do something about it are Tal, Ext and BTA so far.

If you think it's not worth mentioning you also have a right to say so. And that's the point, everyone has a right to reply or post unless our Admins and Mods think not.

Me, I think war depends if you're the general or the soldier; but ultimately worthless attempt to domain brings another attempt to do so from the loser's ashes.

What do you think Slim?

14. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Let's have a moment of silence for all the retards who fail to recognize violence, greed and lust for power as fundamental aspects of human nature.

15. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Thanos.

Honestly some people just want to nag. For instance if Saddam really has biochemical weapons and Bush actually prevents the deaths of many million Americans, there are always a bunch of people who would say that Bush forced Saddam into producing those weapons. In truth Bush, or anyone else in power doesn't really stand a chance to those who use their freedom of speech to, freedom of lynching. The freedom of speech should be changed to freedom of coherent arguments, agreed?

Take VonGriffin, he makes a direct insult at americans and won't take any responsibility. Yet no one forced him to post that junk.
    Lets see how he would react if I wrote a whole bunch of bad things about Slovenia. Spitting on them and their pride and nationality. If VonGriffin got sad and upset and yelled at me, I would just imply he is a prick.

vonGriffin isn't as innocent as mother Theresa. He shouldn't have a break untill he understands what he is doing wrong. Or he could start backing the claims he posts. Period.

16. Thanos Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Nobleman:

Ah, but that's the 'fundamental flaw' of democracy: the fact that EVERYONE is allowed a chance to speak up, no matter how absurd it sounds. Sure, some people will say that. But let's take the other extreme: Let's pretend for a moment that Bush actually takes Saddam on his offer and inspectors are back in, and they find nothing. Aren't there people that will say that inspectors were being played/payed by Saddam, were anti-american European 'mainlanders' (to use Z's expression, that one really cracked me up), or Arab sympathizers, anti-Semetic fanatics or whatever else?

But that's freedom of speech for you. The underlying assumptions are that:
    -you get to hear ALL sides of the story, no matter how absurd they might seem to you
    -you make an intelligent PERSONAL decision on which side is right, based on which side you believe is right.

In the end, freedom of speech, even with naggers and all, is much better than the alternative. After all, isn't lack of that one of the reasons that 'arabs hate america' ?

-thanos

17. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] clever.

You have made me speechless. (no pun intended :1eye: )

18. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Fine. Have it your way.

Shadowhunter, my *opinion* is that you're a [snip] and that you also probably have no friends and a TON of back hair.

You wanna play this game, child? I can play, too.

[I noticed this too late... People, if you see anything against the rules that isn't dealt with promptly, PM me!] -Tal

[ September 19, 2002, 21:24: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

19. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] @ Slim:

See, that's the point; you have the right to say anything that suits you...

And answering you hasn't the slightest interest since I don't give a **** what you or any other human being thinks of me or has to say about me.

BTW watch your sharp tounge there "fellow" it may cut your own neck faster than you can imagine and it will be your fault only if you get yourself into trouble for it.

20. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I didn't get that about the black hair? :confused:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.