1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monk tactics

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by kemanmaldea, Aug 10, 2001.

1. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

IMO a Monk with sprink attack can most likly take on any other class including fighter in a stand up no magic fight (this does allow magic items but not spells) this ocure onec his speed reaches greater than double that of his opponent. What he can do is move up to his opponent take one punch and then run out of range. If the opponent use a melee weapon this keeps him out of range and if he uses ranged weapons his auto matic deflect arrows feat wll help to protect him (also if he takes litening reflexes feat he wil be even harder to hit with ranged weapons.

Out of curiosity can you keep the arrows deflected by the defect arrows feat to use yourself or are they distroyed or is ther a percentage for the ones you get to keep.

2. Sol'Kanar Guest

Well, a smart "other class" would ready an attack for when the monk closes distance, getting a melée attack in when the monk comes into range. This way the two classes would be simply trading attacks.
    The deflect arrows feat does just that: deflects arrows. You could catch and use the missile weapons only when using gloves of arrow snaring.

3. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

Drat. I had hoped you would get to keep at least some of the arrows. your right I had forgoten about readying an attack. So reag out your sling and pepper his but with stones. If your opponent is smart enought to do that.

4. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I hope you realize something... One only get's an attack of opportunity if they move around in someone's threat range, not if they just move in to attack them. However, they do get the Attack of op. if they move out of range. That's actually one of the most mistaken rules.

5. Sol'Kanar Guest

How is that relevent to the topic? One does not get an attack of opportunity if the attacker is using the spring attack feat to move in, attack, and move out. Attacks of opportunity do not come into play in this case.

6. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

All right now I am confused. so please keep explaining.

would he get the short end of the stick on AoOs

7. Sol'Kanar Guest

There would be no attacks of opportunity if both characters were played right. The spring attack feat allows you to move, attack, and move without the attack of opportunity from the defender.

8. cistude Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] And for the use of catching arrows instead of deflecting them, there is another feat, named snatch arrows. You need base att. bonus +3, the deflect arrows feat, Improved unarmed strike and dexterity 15+.

For reference, it is in sword and fist, guidebook to fighters and monks.

9. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

Ahh cool. I believe that monks get all of the requierments by defult this would only cost a single feat. I think that is right.

10. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well, since a Monk gets five unarmed attacks at 20th level, you could put on the Boots of Haste (extra partial action) and pummel the enemy ten times. Then you use the rest of your movement (quite a lot, I might add) to spring away. Monks could beat any other fighting class, except perhaps an enraged Barbarian.

Spellcasting is a whole different league, however, as a high-level Sorcerer could use a few magic items or a Spell Trigger for Tenser's Transformation, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, and Black Blade of Disaster. Then Time Stop. After that, a Sorcerer is capable of beating the crap out of a lot.

11. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] QUOTE: Well, since a Monk gets five unarmed attacks at 20th level, you could put on the Boots of Haste

A monk can neither be hasted nor slowed. Sorry.

12. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] Gah, but it's possible for them to get 7 attacks in a round...good enough for me.

13. Sol'Kanar Guest

I see nothing in the 3E rule book about monks not being haste-able. Even so, a monk's belt does the same thing. But I do not think you could get 10 attacks. A full attack requires more than a partial action does it not? With flurry of blows they could get extra attacks as well, as avalance suggested.
    note: There are no spell triggers or black blades of disaster in the core 3E rule books. Are they in MoF?

14. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

First, some quotes from the OGL SRD:

Partial Action: As a general rule, a combatant can do as much with a partial action as a combatant could with a standard action minus a move. Typically, a combatant may take a 5-foot step as part of a partial action.

Standard Action: A standard action allows a combatant to do something and move a combatant's indicated speed during a combat round. A combatant can move before or after performing the activity of the action.

Full-Round Action: A full-round action consumes all a combatant's effort during a round. The only movement a combatant can take during a full- round action is a 5-foot step before, during, or after the action. A combatant can also perform free actions. Some full-round actions do not allow a 5-foot step.

Attack (melee) [Standard][AoO: No]

Full attack [Full][AoO: No]

What we see from this is that a full attack (which using all five attacks would be), is a full round action. The only thing you get to do with the partial action is a standard action minus the move, which would be a single attack. Therefore, you would get 6 attacks, not 10.

As for monk tactics, read this post on the ENBoards: http://www.enboards.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005332

15. Shraz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was just wondering if anyone thinks there are any Prestige Classes out there that are good if you are a monk. I think all the special abilities that a monk gets at higher levels makes all the prestige classes available seem like they are not very usefull when the benefits are compared to these abilities.

16. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well, I think the Ninja of the Crescent Moon (Sword and Fist) was pretty sweet until Wizards scaled it down in the errata.

17. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Well, using a wise selection of feats it would be possible to get...8 attacks I think? With a few of those nice feats, you could become a hit-powerhouse.

As for Spell Trigger and Black Blade of Disaster, if I'm not incorrect, Wizards can create their own spells, correct? Thus a Sorcerer/Wizard Multiclass 20/20 would be able to use the spells (though from his Wizard spell list).

And though I suggested a 40th character level in this post, since Wizards hasn't released the book yet, my campaign is not allowing us to proceed farther than 20 in any one class, but uses raised experience requisites for higher levels using the pattern.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone. ;)

18. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

You didnt confuse me I figured out how they did the leveling system almost as soon as I got the books.
    However the D&D groop I am in hasent even reached level 2 yet.

19. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Well, my DM can be considered a munchkin since we were at lv16 and beat the last boss of the main quest in one of our games. He raised us to LV20 and in our next game gave our LV9 Sorcerer the Shadowstaff.

20. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

Lol hopefully I wont do that as I am the DM of the groop. (by vertue of being one of the two people with a D&D book)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.