1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monster Manual I, II, III and FRCS

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Christian, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Christian Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I would like to have some informations about the monster manual for The 3rd edition. Why 3 books? Are they all necessary or only the first one is enough.

And if someone could give me a brief summary of what contain the forgotten realm campaign setting for the 3rd edition, it would be very appreciated.

I don't want to waste my money on books but if they're all worth their price than, Tal gonna have another contribution soon :)

[ January 23, 2003, 12:02: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

As far as I know, there are only two Monster Manual books. This first one contains all the bread 'n' butter monsters in your average D&D campaign: Orcs, Goblins, Dragons, Trolls, Giants, Demons, etc. More exotic creatures such as Krakens, Lamia, and the Yuan-ti are also described here. I suggest it's pretty much worth it; How to advance and even create a monster are listed here. There are some useful templates as well.

The Monster Manual II contains some new ones, and most are relatively exotic and unheard of (assuming you've never seen the 2nd Edition Monstrous Manuals, as some are probaby conversions). Most of the monsters there describe things that your average person (or even LoTR fan) has never heard or dreamed of. There are also some new Dragons,Golems, Celestials, and Fiends. However, some of the monsters seem like a really unoriginal (or sometimes downright bad) ideas, some being big blobs of flesh or gigantic centipedes.

The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (FRCS) is a description of Faerun's nations and cities, and its surrounding lands. Life, trade, and various organizations of FR are described here. It's fairly extensive, but there are other books focusing more specifically on certain places and institutions of the Forgotten Realms. The only problem I have with it (mind you, though, I've only skimmed over it a few times), is that it could have done more on trade, daily life, and culture, instead of making room for new magic items and listing the stats of Elminster, Drizzt, and other FR figures.

I would say that the Monster Manual is a good thing to have (it's considered one of the Core Books, after all). I would say that the first is the only one you really need; the second is just a bunch of new ideas and monsters.

( This is the art gallery for a few of the monsters in the Monster Manual.)

( This is the art gallery for all of the monsters in the Monster Manual II.)

(Statistics (and only statistics) of the monsters and templates in the Monster Manual can be found at opengamingfoundation.org)

[ January 22, 2003, 22:01: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

3. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Well I did miss one of my favourit Monsters in the first Manuel but they put it in the second one, I was really glad when that one came out.
    It is that large toadstool creature, always forget his name.

But indeed the first one deals with the most familiar monsters. Although I also loved the monsters and templates in the Book of vile darkness!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.