1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Montreal College shooting

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ofelix, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    here is the story

I just don't understand why it happened? Why all this meaningless violence? And especialy why that police shot the suspect They could've capture him and determine the reason behind that so meaningless shooting. Now that one of the culprit is dead we loose a piece of information. Plus does it gives comfort to the victim? The culprit just die never having to face up the consequences of his action. The culprit was most likely desperate so it's more of a relief to him than anything else. I just can't understand this! Any thought on it?

2. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Yeah I heard this morning. I don't know though, if the gunman is firing wildly, I think it becomes very difficult not to stop him by shooting, if only to prevent further innocent deaths. Do they allow police officers to use tazers in Montreal?

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It's standard issue to shoot to kill when somebody is attacking innocent people with a deadly weapon. An attempt to take him alive would have most likely resulted in the death of more innocents.

As for the motive... best we don't find out because I'm sure somebody'll blame computer games or movies for it and there'll be another outcry about it.

4. Ofelix

Media:
    Still I think that there was enough bloodshed without giving more.

I disagree we have to find out the motive to understand why it happened. Who cares if some moron blame videogames! Beside it's Canada not the US here :p

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I don't know. If the only fatality was the prick doing the shooting, then that's a miracle in and of itself...

6. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

He took the life of a 20 year old women and several more are in critical condition. As for the police using lethal force, i agree with Abomination: the man was croutched behind cover utilizing multiple weapons and taking pot shots at innocents who were scattered along the cafateria floor. With dozens of people already wounded the priority was on taking the monster down. Besides, I wouldnt call being shot dead getting off lightly; at least the families of the victims dont have to go through the agony of having him released in 10 years or less(from a life sentance of 20-25) for good behavior or some damned thing(which, as he'd have been labelled a dangerous offender and denied release, i doubt, but such things have been known to happen in our justice system).

Updated Story

[ September 14, 2006, 08:01: Message edited by: Celesialraven ]

7. Gnarfflinger

AS of the last report I had seen, the gunman was the only fatality. One of the wounded must have died since then...

8. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'm always sorry to hear about this sort of thing, and I hope that for the sake of the victims they will find a rational reason for his actions. Sadly that is unlikely to happen in most cases of this type, the perpetrator is a social misfit, obsessed, fixated loner trying to make a barely valid point through force.

I'm sorry Ofelix but I agree with the police action in this sort of case, the time to arrest him and find out his motivations would have been before he started shooting, which didn't happen. Once he started shooting and injuring/killing imo he abrogated his rights as a human being and the police used the necessary force to cull the bad and protect the rest. What is equally sad about this situation is the effects it will have on the survivors. The people who were shot and shot at will carry the scars mental and physical for some time, but also the police officers who will feel they didn't do enough to stop it earlier, I hope the counsellors etc they talk to are worth their salt.

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

As expected they have found the typical lunatic's web diary (on a website called vampirefreaks.com if you can belive it) with moronic comments, threats and photos posing with weapons. Naturally there was a comment about life being like a video game so the ban video game fanatics will undoubtedly be jumping all over this.

10. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31

Just to link to a news article about what JSBB mentioned
    News

Here's an excert...

Gills list of favourite music groups is a who's who of heavy metal: Ozzy Osbourne, Marilyn Manson, Iron Maiden, Danzig and Metallica, but only the "old stuff."

His favourite movies list includes mostly gory horror films. He enjoys violent video games including the controversial "Postal," a first-person shooter game, in which the protagonist goes on a killing spree while completing everyday errands.

11. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yes, now we'll have congressman trying to ban Postal... because is always easy to blame some game and not Ozzy, who has his own show and is the only show on MTV where you hear b**** or f***. Why there aren't movie names? Is always blame the game.

Can't police investigate people who write this kind of thing on internet?

Quote:
    However, responding to the question, "How do you want to die?" Gill replied "like Romeo and Juliet - or in a hail of gunfire."

And that's just few things worth a 'watching'.
    If Tal and mods here spot violation of rules almost instantly, why a website let people write stuff like this without, at least, tell the police?
    I don't know, maybe I'm just too paranoid.

12. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

columbine, montreal... obviously the common theme is black trenchcoats. call your senator, ban trenchcoats now!

(oh, and never mind controls on automatic weapons, if every student in dawson would have been carrying an AK47, things would have been fine, they're just for hunting anyway, nothing to see here, move along...)

13. Ofelix

Media:
    I still believe that violence cannot resolve anything! We may now never undestand what really motivated this killer to do such a thing. Yeah sure he listen to metal music, play videogames, and likes vampire. Big news; so do I does it make me a killer? Absouletely no. Now this horrorible incident will never have an explanation, the victims of the shooting may never understand why they had to go through with it. How is that justice?

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Sounds like the police did the world a favor in my opinion, Ofelix. They just put down one seriously sick puppy.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The latest news is that the autopsy shows that the police only shot Gill in the arm. Gill then committed suicide by shooting himself in the head.

Story

I guess that makes most of the debate here kind of a moot point. Personally, I would say that his actions and writings tell you all you need to know about his motivations - he was a social outcast who was more than a little bit crazy.

16. Gnarfflinger

Great, just great. Now the injured and the one that has passed on (maybe more before this is done) will be forgotten in a ban video games crusade...

17. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I wonder if anyone on such a message board is considering the effect video games have on people like the gunman.

I'm not saying video games --> shootings, but given the level of violence to which video games I think can desensitize us, it's something to consider.

Of course, there are actual studies on correlation between video games and violence (no doubt there are) I'd be interested in them.

18. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

There is no justice.

Justice is lost
    Justice is raped
    Justice is gone

19. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Again; why the name of a game and not the name of a movie?
    Why a game is something to consider and not a movie?
    So this kid should watch, let's say, Hostel and not played Postal, nothing should happened?

20. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.