1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monty Python

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Barmy Army, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is brilliant!

I don't know if the very British humour is lost on others, but I think this is absolutely hilarious.

I'm just watching Monty Python: the Meaning of Life.

That's the machine that goes 'PING'!

*machine goes 'PING'*

See! That means your baby is still alive! :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, if this is an "ode to Monty Python" thread, then count me in.

My nick is from a Monty Python sketch, so say no more! ;)

3. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I havent seen it yet but i intend to get the boxset. I loved Monty Python and the Holy Grail :lol: .

4. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Forget 'The Meaning of Life' it is the least amusing of most sketched and easily the worst film.

5. Duffin Gems: 13/31

I cant resist, ive been meaning to get it for a while. Im pricing them up as we speak. :p

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    I actually find meaning of Life to be the funniest. Although Life of Brian is a VERY close second. Holy Grail is back in 3rd for me.

Mr Blackitt: And, Protestantism doesn't stop at the simple condom! Oh, no! I can wear French Ticklers if I want.
    Mrs Blackitt: You what?
    Mr Blackitt:[/] French Ticklers! Black Mambos! Crocodile Ribs! Sheaths that are designed not only to protect, but also to enhance the stimulation of sexual congress.
    Mrs Blackitt: Have you got one?
    Mr Blackitt: Have I got one? Uh, well, no, but I can go down the road any time I want, and walk into Harry's and hold my head up high and say in a loud, steady voice, "Harry, I want you to sell me a condom. In fact, today, I think I'll have a French Tickler, for I am a Protestant."

7. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

and now for something completely different

Holy Grail
    parrot sketch
    life of Brian
    Spainish Inquisition

i enjoy their brand of humour. oh wait thats the same oh well

is this the right room for an argument?

8. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Yes Monty Python is great! Life of Brian is great and so are meaning of Life. I just love the sketc with the dead parrot, and the sketch with the Knights who says "Ni".
    British humour is sooo good, and just fits in with the Danish so well

9. Duffin Gems: 13/31

:lol: :lol: I HAVE to get these. Im not sure whether to get the box set with the 3 films and the series: And Now For Something Completely Different. Does anyone know if this series is any good or should i just by the films seperately (as its cheaper), cheers.

10. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The Black knight, simply and undeniably, is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a movie. The whole movie was good, as is pretty much everything else by Monty Python.

"Oh, I see. Running away, eh? You yellow bastards!! Come back here and take what's coming to you! I'll bite your legs off!!" :D

11. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Count me in! I was very small when I was first introduced to Monty Python humor, thanks to my dad. The Holy Grail was my first and I've loved everything since. The Meaning of Life is probably my favorite, especially the sketch with death coming to get the dinner party guests and taking them away in a ghost car. I also love the song with the guy who steps out of the fridge....
    " Just remember that you’re standing on a planet that’s evolving and
    revolving at nine-hundred miles an hour
    And orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it’s reckoned,
    A sun that is the source of all our power. "

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

MPFC is a staple of comedy. Seen all the films and shows and heard all the recordings. My top favorite quote:

All: YES! WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!

Loner: I'm not.

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Gotta LOVE the Pythons!!

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

ARTHUR: Well, I am king!
    DENNIS: Oh king, eh, very nice. And how d'you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers! By 'anging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever going to be any progress with the--
    WOMAN: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.
    DENNIS: You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship. A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--
    DENNIS: I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. But all the decision of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting-- By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs,-- But by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major--

WOMAN: Well, how did you become king then?
    ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake,... [angels sing] ...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your king!
    DENNIS: Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    ARTHUR: Be quiet!
    DENNIS: Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
    ARTHUR: Shut up!
    DENNIS: I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
    ARTHUR: Shut up, will you. Shut up!
    DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
    ARTHUR: Shut up!
    DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help! I'm being repressed!
    ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!
    DENNIS: Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

14. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Haha... I just took out Life of Brian this last weekend to watch it a second time. It ranks first for me, followed by Holy Grail and then Meaning of Life. But I got to mention that argument clinic sketch.... if you haven't seen it, go to youtube and do a search.

But don't search for all the Holy Grail scenes if you haven't seen the movie... spoiled the whole movie for my friend.

15. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

There are two things that broke the comedy barriers and made so much more possible, the first the genius that was Peter Cook, and the second the genius that was Monty Python's Flying Circus. Monty and his friends was something that I enjoyed watching as a growing teenager and playing out the sketches with my friends. Neil Innes helped out with the tunes, the Philosopher's Song, I'm a lumberjack etc. And then joy of joys they made films. My favourite moments

The Cheese shop sketch
    The Dead Bishop sketch (got anything with a little less rat in it?)
    Holy Grail (Black Knight, Sir Robin, Sir Galahad's Temptation)
    Life of Brian (What have the Romans ever done for us? He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy; The popular Judea front suicide squad)
    Meaning of Life (Every Sperm is sacred, Can we have your liver? Mr Creaosote)

The list goes on and on. Thanks Monty for everything.

16. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh Yeah!! How could I forget The Lumberjack Song? I used to sing it all the time when I was in highschool. My own special anthem although I'm sure it lost a little of it's irony because I'm female.

17. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Got to love the Pythons, and John Cleese is a comedy genius. My first introduction to them was the Life of Brian ("I'm a Red Sea pedestrian!"). The Meaning of Life has a very particular type of humour, but if you know how the British enjoy laughing at themselves, it only gets funnier. :thumb:

Or the old-man-and-bridge scene in the Holy Grail, when Arthur pops the counter-question is a classic. I just couldn't stop laughing when I had this random encounter in Fallout 2 depicting the same scene :lol:

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    The twit Olympics is just genius!

And Oliver has run himself over. What a great twit! :lol:

[ July 03, 2006, 22:24: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Holy Grail is great. I have mixed feelings about Meaning of Life: with the exception of two sketches (live organ transplant and the disgusting restaurant scene) the movie's very funny, and the short movie at the beginning's fantastic. Life of Brian is my least favorite of the three, though it's still very good. I've not seen any of the sketches unfortunately, though I plan on watching And Now For Something Completely Different soon.

20. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

What are you talking about? :shake:

I actually find it quite amusing, but then again that's just me :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.