1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Moonblade of Selune and SureStriking Shortsword.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Faragon, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

So I've created a new party the other day, because the other was badly built. (A paladin with not enough wisdom to cast a lvl1 healingspell isn't very usefull spellwise) This time I started with a Aasimar Dreadmistress of Bane/Sorceress. (20 CHA and 20 Wis, w00t! :p )

But I've got a question. Well two actually.

1) If I don't give the moonblade back, will this have consequences in the game later? If so, how severe? (No spoilers please.)
    2) The Short Sword of Sure Striking, which is considered a +5 sword, is it worth the money?

2. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Not giving the moonblade back doesn't have any consequences that I am aware of. However, it isn't necessary to be such a chump, unless you think its important for roleplay purposes. If you return the sword and refuse the reward, she will give you the sword outright. Leastwise, she does that with good characters. I won't swear she'll give it to your Dreadmistress. :)

The sword of surestriking is useful, but you will be able to get fully functional +4 and +5 shortswords later. Whether it is worth the money depends on what else you could get with the money. hehe. The sword is essentially just a +1 shortsword that isn't affected by many types of damage reduction (such as stoneskin). You can certainly live without it.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Thanks for the info :) I guess I'll give it back to her with one of my rangers. The other good aligned characters I have are paladins, and those are known to pass up on fat reward loot ;)

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I've just kept both of them.

So I guess my good party isn't all that good. I think they've come in useful a couple of times already by chapter 4.

5. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Pick up that sure striking short sword. In the first part of the game there are very few weapons like it. It really comes in handy versus some creatures that cannot be hit or only take partial damage from other weapons. For example, in Chapter 2 during battle squares. Both the Drowned Dead and the Mummy lords (and also the air elementals I think) get hit for full damage plus 5 bonus points of damage with the Sure Striking short sword since it is a +5 weapon for purposes of the creatures it can damage. Other weapons do only minimal damage to them and some do no damage at all. Also, you need weapons like that to kill the Iron Golems and Mind Golems down the road, so save those Sure Strike arrows and bullet you get in the Ice Temple.

[ September 26, 2002, 12:46: Message edited by: Grey Ghost ]

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] My halfling rogue is dual wielding that sure striking shortsword and the Thy-Duang blade right now...It's great for backstabbing!!!!!

7. HeartOfDarkness Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I accidentally set up a firewall(in hof) and that cleric walked through it. When I tried to talk to her she wouldn't give me the quest but instead she went hostile. I decided to reload before I talked to her and instead I went on with the game. The only difference I noticed was that she and another guy along with some wariors of virtue attacked me some screens later (though oddly she still appeared at her original place even after I had killed her some screens later) other than that I didn't notice any change and I kept the moonblade which I sold for 2500 gp. It's not that good a weapon anyway

8. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Actually, its a very good weapon. There aren't that many critters with magic resistance, compared to the number with slashing resistance. It is also an excellent weapon for a non fighter type since it ignores armor, thereby compensating for lower BABs. Rogues can make good use of it, for example. It also does bad things to the Undead in the game.

Besides, keeping it is foolish. If you take the reward, you get 2000gp and some xp, which is better than the 2500gp you get for stealing and selling it. Or you can get if free an clear with xp for refusing the reward.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.