1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morality Test

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Chandos the Red, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Morality test

This test only has one question, but it's a very important one. Please don't answer it without giving it some serious thought. By giving an honest answer you will be able to test where you stand morally.

The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation, where you will have to make a decision one-way or the other. Remember that your answer needs to be honest, yet spontaneous.

Please scroll down slowly and consider each line - this is important for the test to work accurately.

You're in Florida...In Miami, to be exact... There is great chaos going on around you, caused by a hurricane and severe floods. There are huge masses of water forming devastating waves. You are a news photographer and you are in the middle of this great disaster.

The situation is nearly hopeless - but you know that you will escape alive. You're trying to shoot very impressive photos. There are houses and people floating around you, disappearing into the water. Nature is showing all its destructive power, and is ripping everything away with it.

Suddenly, you see a man in the water, and he is fighting for his life, trying not to be taken away by the masses of water and mud. You move closer.

Somehow the man looks familiar. And suddenly you know who it is - it's George W. Bush! At the same time you notice that the raging waters are about to take him away ... forever.

You have two options. You can try to save him or you can take the best photo of your life. So, you can save the life of George W. Bush, or you can shoot a Pulitzer prize winning photo. A unique photo displaying the death of one of the world's most powerful men.

And here's the question: (Please give an honest answer)

Would you select color film, or go with the simplicity of classic black and white?

2. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Black and white. It would look better on the cover of Time magazine.

Though colour would look better on the cover of Mad...

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Colour to better catch all the nuances of the raging torrent of water and mud and the fear in his eyes. ;)

This one was low Chandos, but somewhat amusing.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You bet; I could afterwards edit it with computer to make it greyscale. (So I'd get both.)

Pulitzer, come to papa... :cool:

5. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

You can't publish that photo anyway without being executed for not helping the President! Btw I think I would try to resue him - he's a human after all and I couldn't sleep peacefully anymore if I wouldn't.

Funny thread, but you should've made it a poll!

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Colour.

@Maertyn, what if you claimed that you took the photo at the last possible moment and had no time to even get near enought to attempt to save the (ex (in this hypothetical morality situation)) president. This would also increase the value of the photo as it would show Bush's last living moments rather than just those somewaht prior to.

7. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Colour all the way! Olé!
    And by the way, this was a low blow, you had me going on this one.
    @Maertyn: but *could* you sleep peacefully knowing you had a chance to most likely prevent many innocent deaths by letting drown, and choose to act otherwise?
    :borg:

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Colour. I'd throw an inflated rubber ring with a hole in it too to make me look like a hero :)

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Colour. You can always grayscale it later.

10. Baron Tostoff Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I would take the photo in Black and White to give it a sense of historic perspective. Like a scene from an old Chaplin movie for instance (The Great Dictator II?). But there must already be great moments caught on camera of that psychotic, lying drink-driver. Like when he was choking to death on that pretzel - I'd love to have seen the way his legs shook and popped around as he clawed at his throat, desperately gulping for air. Hoo, boy - if the White House have CCTV footage of that they should release it on DVD, backed with comic piano music and a voiceover track of Iraqi schoolkids laughing at his hateful, shuddering face.

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Color. And BTW, you are under no legal obligation to be a good samaritan and save anyone, even the President (you can claim that you feared for you own safety and didn't see a reason to throw two lives away if you were ever challenged).

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'd ancor the camera to something and set it to video capture, then I'd go save him. Once saved, I would take two snap-shots from the video (George struggling for his life, or me saving him), and see which one sells for more. :evil: :rolling:

13. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Not being American, I was somewhat worried at first that I wouldn't be able to give an honest answer, but that said, in a situation like this, I would most likely go for B&W every time as it does lend a certain timelessness to photos.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Many people miss the point of this... Black and white is pointless because you can just convert color into black and white but the other way around is difficult.

15. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'd go with a nice sepia tone on a high shutter speed to crisply capture his writhing...

16. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Who writhes when they drown? Flounder maybe. Or sturgeon.

17. Mirakel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I always had a thing for black and white photos, they just look better. But I wouldn`t want to put Bush in a good light so I think I would use color.

18. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I liked the joke better when it was fitted for Osama, but I guess it works with Bush too :grin:

Color.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Does the camera have a 'video' function? Possibly with sound? I could add a National Geographic narration. "And now... we see the Gorgeous Bushious Junia out of his natural habitat. As you can see, this species does not survive well - away from CIA agents and the international spectrum. Usually this situation can be avoided if the creature possesses a select trait shared by few Bushes that we know as 'common sense'. And now a clip of how this subject arrived in this situation...

"Gee General, looks like we're stuck on this little hill and the water level keeps rising."

"I'd suggest we wait here Mr. President. The helicopter is on its way. ETA: one minute."

"Dear God! We'll be drowned by then! I'm going to cross now while the water level is as low as it is."

"I wouldn't suggest that, Mr. President. That current is moving awfully fast."

"Nonsense! I thought I hired you to lead my armies in a great crusade. Don't you be acting all poppy-cock on me now. You think just because I'm from Texas that I don't know what water is? Well I'll tell you right now that we get about 2mm of rain a year so we KNOW what this water stuff is. Now, I'm going to cross. You can stay here and die if you want, but I'm going to go down fighting!"

"Sir the Helicopter is just 100 yards to your left... if you'd just wai-"

"'GO DOWN FIGHTING!' I said!"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.