1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mozilla Firefox vs IE

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Uytuun, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I've been using Firefox for about a day now and I haven't encountered any problems. It's safer than IE and for the rest, I haven't noticed much difference (yet).

So I was wondering why so few people use it...what's the catch?

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    No idea. I use firefox, and I know most people concerned with their system security use it as well.

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

You gotta download it. People can be so lazy ...

Even when I give them the damn link. :nuts:

4. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

Here's a nit-picky complaint I have with Firefox...when I hit the 'Back' button, it takes me back to the beginning of the previous page. IE takes me back to the section of the previous page that I linked from. Speaking of laziness I guess...

5. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    It does and it doesnt. I sometimes go back to the top... but not always.

[ November 27, 2004, 19:29: Message edited by: Takara ]

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Depends what you consider previous location. If the URL, then Firefox is right and if the exact place including scrollbar position, then IE is right. You can also go by the URL and show the page refreshed, or you can access it from cache and give the user the exact thing he was reading or watching. All depends on interpretation, I guess.

On this PC, I have IE, Netscape, Opera, Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox, but that's because I make websites and before I put it online or give it to someone, I need to check it in all reasonably popular browsers.

Firefox is probably the fastest of them all, but I use IE as the default one. IE is the most likely to reflect the intended look and personality of a website. Because most people don't realise there are different and possibly better browsers? Maybe. But still.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    99% of pages on the Internet are written and tested primarily for IE, with everything else coming in a distant second. As every browser has some unique quirks, you might notice slight differences using a browser other than IE, which may or may not annoy you. Some, when cropping up in page design, can be more noticable than others. Also, Firefox is still a browser in development so bugs pop up occasionally, whereas IE has had a much longer time to develop. There's also the issue of IE coming preinstalled with Windows, which is why most people use it.

Right now Firefox has a bit of an advantage over IE since it has some features IE doesn't, but since the next version of IE will include tabbed browsing and a pop-up blocker, Firefox will most likely be pushed into obscurity again.

8. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I was very sceptical about browsers like Firefox until I tried it out about half a year ago, when I started being concerned about the safety of my computer. I can't imagine browsing without it now.

That was always what I thought before using Firefox (and even that some sites weren't accesable at all with Firefox). However, I think that most sites are displayed exactly the same and if there are differences, they are are so minimal that's hardly noticable. Correct code should be displayed the same with all browsers, but if the looks are different, it is most likely due to the fact that IE displayes code incorrectly; they made an incorrectable mess of the program, in attempts to correct its flaws.

EDIT: Most of the things I said are somewhat like what Tal said, because I was typing while he was posting.
    The bugs they take out of Firefox are nothing compared to the major security flaws they take out of Internet Explorer. I'm not saying that Firefox doesn't have any security issues; maybe you don't hear about them that often, because most people with malicious intentions target the general public that uses IE. But over the last few months in which I am using Firefox, I had to install a lot more critical updates for IE, than I had for Firefox.

[ November 27, 2004, 15:28: Message edited by: Mesmero ]

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Majority of people uses Windows, thus majority of them end up to use IE too as you cannot expect everyone to understand that it is the crappiest browser you can have. Like they say: "If it works, don't fix it."

I just wish governments and schools would move on to freeware like this completely. After all, Linux works much like Unix which is used in majority of universities. No Windows = no IE. That piece of crap is simply too tightly integrated to the OS. :nolike:

10. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

All the extensions available for Firefox too, and they add an unparalleled browsing experience. Here's a decent place to get some of the better ones: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/

11. Shrikant

Updating to v1.0 did more harm than good. Have to wait for all those interesting extensions to be upgraded.

12. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I liked 0.9.2 the most, actually, but I'm positive the mozilla crew will fix it up with the next release. Mozilla 2.0 is coming sometime next year too.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The reasons why most people don't use Firefox are:
    a) They have never heard of it. I had not heard of it before reading this thread.
    b) Even after hearing about it, they still don't really understand what it is, how to get it, and whether it will stuff up their machine.

Where do the Firefox people get their money from then, if they give the software away for free? How do they feed their families?

14. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I bought a stuffed firefox from them. I contributed.

Most of the extensions for Firefox are quite rubbish - I just use an automatic refreshing the page thing, a dictionary thing, a thing that lets me use GetRight for downloads, and a popup-counter for no real reason.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Harbourboy, Firefox is simply an alternative Internet browser. Like Netscape, Opera, etc. They all do the same thing as IE, only slightly differently. To make a long story short, if you're happy with IE, you don't need it. If not, you can get it from http://www.mozilla.org/

The development of Firefox is supposedly a completely non-profit undertaking, though they do accept donations.

16. Shrikant

GetRight is infected with spyware, right? I didnt download it for that reason.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Uh, no... I've been using it for ages, no problems. It doesn't have any ads short of for itself. It's the best download manager out there. However, it has a very aggressive legality check, so if you crack it it will eventually connect with its verification server online and "un-crack" your version back to trial.

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Meaning that it could be understood to be spyware, as it connects to home-server and installs stuff without permission. In this process, it quite likely gives out information about you.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    No, it doesn't install anything per se, just removes the crack. And from what I've seen (and heard), that's all it does. So if you're not going to crack it (which, as noted, would be pointless anyway), it's as clean as a whistle. And it's really a non-issue as far as I'm concerned, because there's no other download manager out there with all the options GetRight has - and I use most of them. I tried a dozen supposedly best free ones, and a couple come close, but still lacked several features I frequently use in GetRight.

So if you've never used GetRight before, you might be satisfied with some free ones, but I could never switch after using GetRight for as long as I have.

20. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

now, please don't get me wrong (i am *not* going to defend ms here) but my bets regarding the security issue of ie/firefox are as follows :
    should it ever happen that firefox gains more than 10% market-share (and thus becomes an interesting target for *serious* hackers) firefox will only turn out as unsafe / leaky / buggy as we all know ie is.

:idea: just browse with win98. nobody codes virusses for that anymore

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.