1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

MSI GeForce 5900XT and some other things

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, Jun 18, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, that's the name of the card I've finally bought for my computer. It looked like a good choice, having scored many great reviews, the price was good ($100), it also has radiators added on the RAM chips by the previous owner which the manufacturer doesn't provide.

Right now, the config is:

Processor: Intel Celeron (0.18u) 2406 MHz (100MHz bus)
    Motherboard: IS7/IS7-G/IS7-E(Intel i865-ICH5)
    Hard drive: WDC WD 1200JB (8MB Cache)
    GFX: MSI GeForce 5900XT

As you see, it's pretty much the max the mobo can handle. Theoretically, I could stuff a 4 GHz CPU on it, but just how much is the fastest Celeron? 2.8 is probably it, so I don't care. There are three RAM slots left, so I might throw a chip or two in, considering Kingston 400 MHz has been getting cheaper recently.

One of the good things I've heard about this card is that it overclocks easily and giving nice results. This particular one also has radiators on the RAM chips from the previous user.

I could probably push the CPU frequency up a bit but I don't know if it's going to make much difference. I'd rather have a 133 MHz or faster bus instead of the current 100 MHz but it's a bloody Celeron (RAM can handle more, mobo probably too, but it's a Celeron one). I have a nice Intel box cooler on the processor but nothing special.

I've noticed that the GFX card doesn't display anything on the screen on system start-up like the TNT2 used to. Is this a VGA BIOS thing? Where could I find one and how do I get to override the VGA bios? Perhaps I could use a GeForce 5900 Ultra BIOS, it reportedly works well with this card. Ah, one more thing: my floppy drive is dead and I utterly hate floppies. I'd really rather do it from Windows and hard drive than from a DOS system floppy with a flash command in autoexec.

Next, what program should I use for overclocking the card? MSI provides some overclocking console but the interface is utter crap and it doesn't do anything. It doesn't even keep the settings after reboot. Guess I need a better program from a different source.

In BIOS settings, AGP aperture size is set to 256 megs and can't give more. I'm considering a fixed size swap file, probably 1.28 GB (2.5 times RAM size) but don't know if it's worth it anymore (it's an old trick from before the GeForce era).

As for drivers, I'm using the latest Detonator from nVidia and I'd rather not touch any MSI version (maybe MSI hardware is great but their software stinks).

Finally and unfortunately, I don't really have a lot of cash at hand, so I'd rather focus on overclocking, BIOS and software changes and other things that don't require buying additional stuff.

So... awaiting your suggestions.

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I would NOT recommend you to update the graphics card bios. Why would you want to do that anyway?

As for overclocking, a good and free utility is RivaTuner. You could also get a better cooler for the CPU and try overclocking it from the BIOS.

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

There's not really going to be a point in overclocking that. The processor and hard drive are going to be your performance hits, not the card. That said, you should be able to overclock the GPU with whatever you used to overclock your TNT2.

Alternatively, you can do it by editing your BIOS but I cannot provide directions to do this.

That's going to be tough to explain. For the most part, you're going to have to go into your system setup program when the machine is booting up and edit your BIOS in there. Note that a screw-up can ruin your system so I recommend leaving this alone.

If you really want to upgrade your system, you're going to have to shell out some money. Overclocking your GPU most likely won't accomplish too much because the processor is still holding you back. I have heard that overclocking a Celeron is difficult but having never owned a Celeron myself I cannot speak from experience. Nevertheless, that is where I would concentrate your efforts.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've done some overclocking with the card and it works, but I'm a bit afraid to touch the CPU/AGP/PCI setting (currently 100/66/33, 24 multiplier)...

Also, where can I find something to monitor the graphics GPU and memory temperature? Can't find anything in Riva Tuner, Riva Hard Page, nTweak or anything I have...

5. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Chev,

Try this site - theres a wealth of information on there -

www.forums.guru3d.com

Theres a stack of threads on overclocking and modding the 5900XT. You should also find something on the celeron. Your big problem with that is always going to cache - but as I understand it some celerons overclock really well.

I would have thought Riva Tuner would have provided the CPU temps. It maybe that bios on your card doesnt support it - you need to check that out.

6. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Or then it doesn't have temp sensors.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.