1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Multiple sneak attacks

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Vile, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Please, this is a rather advanced question. I would prefer it if only someone with enough knowledge of D&D answered.

Here's my question: My friend asked me if you had a character with Ambidexterity, and you sneaked up on an enemy and threw 2 missle weapons at him, would they both incur a sneak attack? They are being thrown at the same time and technically they are still being flanked / have their Dex mod loss and that is all it says you neede to have a successful sneak attack.

My second question: If one has multiple attacks per round and you managed to sneak behind someone and attack them with multiple attacks, would you get multpile sneak attack damage?

I'm not totally sure about my second question, but I'm pretty sure the first one you would.

2. Sol'Kanar Guest

As long as the enemy is flanked, you can take as many sneak attacks as you have attacks. They still don't get their dexterity modifier. Remember, dispite the fact that combat is turn-based, it is still meant to represent live combat. Therefor, while the rogue attacking from one side his/her ally is still attacking from the other. Therefor, all attacks made against that opponent while they are flanked can be sneak attacks.

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

For Sneak Attacks, whether ambidexterous or not, you are allowed a partial action. This would allow you to make one attack, or a partial move. Ambidexterity does not give you an extra attack, and any extra attacks gained through level or Two-Weapon Fighting require a full round action to use. Throwing two darts or daggers simultaneously is not allowed under the normal rules. (note: The DM may allow this through extra training, but this would be a DM added feature.)

As for flanking, so long as the target is flanked, you get a +2 attack bonus. Any rouge attacking in this situation gets to sneak attack. All the rogues attacks would be sneak attacks as long as the target is flanked. (note: The target who is flanked still gets to use dext bonus, you just get +2 to your attack and roguse are allowed the sneak attack)

Now to answer your specific questions, for the first question, since you only get a partial action, you can make only one attack, therefor only one missile weapon can be thrown (simultaneously throwing two darts, etc is not allowed even if ambidesterous). so you get only one sneak attack.
    For the second question, you would still only get one sneak attack, since only a partial action is allowed. If the target is also flanked, you would be able to get multiple sneak attacks.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited August 08, 2001).]

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I agree with the second answer as given above. A rogue who is flanking or attacking an enemy flat footed can sneak attack with all the attack he has.

As for the first question I disagree. It is neither Ambidexterity or two weapon fighting that gives a character the ability to attack with both hands. Each character has two move equivalent actions a round and can use one for each 'hands' attack. The two weapon fighting and Ambidexterity feat only reduce the penalties that would be incurred. If a rogue sneaked behind a enemy and was within the 30 feet range limit he could make 2 attacks if he does not move that round. If you does not have either the Ambidexterity or two weapon fighting feats with main dagger thrown would be at -4 and the second at -8.

5. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Voltric, just because you can attack with both hands dosen't mean that you can do so simutaneously. Sneak attacks can be used only against an opponent who is flatfooted. This occurs during the suprise round. This is before the first full round and is considered only a partial round, only one attack. To use multiple attacks, whether from level or from having a weapon in each hand, requires full-round action.

6. Sol'Kanar Guest

*Ahem* Yes, my mistake, a flanked character retains their dex bonus to AC. Anyhow, a sneak attack does not need to be done in a surprise round, though that is a common time to do so. The rogue's best bet in pitched battle is to get behind an enemy who is in melée with another characer, thus flanking them and getting +2 to attack and a sneak attack. The rogue can make multiple sneak attacks if using the full attack option to get in any multiple attacks, in while case the only movement he may take is a 5-foot step.

7. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Correct, The suprise round is the time during which you will catch the target flatfooted. Sneak attacks can be done at other times as noted above.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited August 09, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.