1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mushrooms Growing On North Korea

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Late-Night Thinker, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I really don't think many countries can complain about this. As long as the US, Russia, UK, etc, have nuclear arms, I don't think they've got any right to tell others they cannot. If they are worried about the safety, the best way (other than disarming all parties) would be to give Korea the technology to make it safe. The ideal solution would be to remove these weapons from everyone.

I just hope that people don't do anything stupid in reaction to this.

3. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

North Korea has survived for this long as a result of its skill in political manouvering. Whenever the North has found itself in an unfavorable possition it makes an action or threat to alarm the world and net itself some slack. Be it threat of nuclear weapons, missle tests, or 'outrage' at having its soldiers, who violated the DMZ, shot at. Its a little state and the only thing keeping the West from ending the little dictatorship, where Kim is concidered a god by the way, was the constant threat\ening. As long as it was threat, the West couldnt intervene easily because the North was backed by China.

Now that the threat has apparently become a reality, i'll give it a bit before im convinced, AND that China has, in a historic event, condemned its actions, I can see a whole lot of stupid in the not-so-distant future. Japan, for instance, will likely get into a military groove to prepare itself for the next stupid thing that the North does. And South Korea, well, its been a tense 50 years and things look to get a lot worse before the get better.

4. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Kim stated in a newscast I was watching NK had to have nukes to deter the US from attacking, I guess to most of the world we do seem war happy right now. Nukes that small and rockets that can't reach much of the US might make him feel better but will bring out every nut politician from coast to coast. Lets let China, Russia and Japan as well as S. Korea handle the nutcase on their border. He says he wants one on one talks with the US? I don't think my countrys leaders will want to talk now after his test. They are not known for peacefull resolution at the best of times. Kinda makes ya feel empty thinking on what might happen.
    Oh, before I get flamed as a lefty my family has 5 unbroken generations of military service and I am a conservative living in Tn backwoods!

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I don't like the thought of a dictatorship run by a madman having nuclear weapons one bit. The US at the worst of times is still better than North Korea at the best of times in my opinion.

When the US was attacked it didn't nuke another country but if somebody attacks North Korea... well, I can't be too sure they won't want to 'flex' their new nuclear muscle.

6. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

@AB: What scares me is the thought of the fact that in a starving dirt poor country he pulled the rods out of a working nuke reactor to get the materials to build his bomb. If he has another of his itty bitty blast nukes and someone does go after him does he do the deadman thing? I do not know anyone from that part of the world as far as I know but you don't want to see the death even from a little one even if it's ground level and not air burst.
    Thanks for the small thumbs up to the US, we go in cycles and I hope NEVER do a nuke bombing again.

7. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

...especially those of us living in South Korea.

Oddly enough, most South Koreans don't give a rat's...

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The sad thing is that rushing to get nukes and show a willingness to use them seems to be the only sure thing for crazy oppressive dictators to stay in power. Iran and North Korea have learnt the lesson from Iraq. Iraq didnt have any nukes or anything at all really but was accused of it and then steamrolled and wacky dictator ousted and humiliated. Iran and North Korea made sure that wouldnt happen to them, how? To actually get all the stuff Iraq was accused of having and lo and behold, a lot of fist shaking at them but no troops in sight.

There is no way in hell the US (or anyone else really) are going to attack someone who can actualy fight back. It just isnt politically viable and not what war is about in the upper echelons of government. Spanking some ragged militias to boost morale and give a sense of superiority is one thing but t engage in real warfare with real casualties is impossible for any reasonably democratic nation. Thus Iran and North Korea are safe to continue with their crap as long as they can keep up the military deterrence. Realpolitiks for the lose.

9. Old One

Oddly enough, most South Koreans don't give a rat's...
    ??????????
    Sir Fink, Can I get a little more?

The problem is the US could send almost any country back to the stone age without serious damage to itself. Fist shaking doesnt work forever and everyone including us (the US) needs to stop. I was a young man through the cold war and it's no fun.

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm - wonder by how much they're going to move the doomsday clock...

11. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

@Old One : I think any part of a rat will do. Seriously, no one's taking it that seriously here. My classmates are more worried about this affecting their college entrance exams than an actual threat of war. Some people are looking for gas masks(for radiation) but most aren't even bothering to do that.

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Maybe now the UN will get off its collective arse and do something. It had better, if it doesn't want to set in stone the epitaph of being utterly useless.

13. Old One

@Kenixkil: Good luck on the exams, thanks for insight. May you be absolutely correct in your priorities as well.

@Rallymama: The UN has, at least in most things been not worth a good dump. They bluster and yell, however they did do the Korean war. Hope history teaches something. I personally think China is the worlds best hope in this case and also hope Bush can see that.

14. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

And do exactly what? Even before North Korea had nukes doing anything about it would have caused massive turmoil in Asia and complete destruction of the Korean peninsula. Now when it starts to be quite certain that they have nukes, a military action would lead to deaths and destruction of unmeasurable proportions.

China should have taken an active role in stopping this project a long time ago but they didn't. It's quite amazing how they've been so incredibly passive during this entire issue. I seriously doubt that the leaders in Bejing wanted to see a nuclear North Korea, and now it's too late.

15. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

UN should do that something to everyone (including that ******* Bush's US) or should keep quiet. I prefer there is no nukes in the whole world; but if US, France and others have the right to have nukes, then everyone else has the same right. It is called "equality"

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Yeah, and the same applies to guns, obviously :rolleyes:

The more people who have nukes the higher the chance somebody will throw one at somebody else. The nuclear deterrence issue is like a big heaping petrol soaked bonfire covering the entire earth... one nuclear spark... everything goes up poo-river without a canoe.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am fascinated by the fact that foreigners seem more interested in this whole piece of news than the Koreans do!

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Well, the Koreans won't exactly be throwing nukes at themselves if they throw them anywhere. So who'll cop the sharp end of the stick with this situation?

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Tokyo?

And I'm not so sure about the North not nuking the South...

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sorry, but that's incorrect because most countries have signed the NPT.

The time to do something about the DPRK was when they withdrew from the NPT back in 2003.

And I have to agree that the UN is worthless in these circumstances; all that happens is talk while the countries in question stall for time and continue to do what they want.

Iran is next.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.