1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Music

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sapiryl, Sep 7, 2000.

1. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Who's your favorite band?
    What's your favorite song, style, whatever?

Personally, I like all of Creed's stuff right now (I just bought Human Clay) and just flat out enjoy My Own Prison (yeah, that's another Creed CD).

2. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] i like Blues, Muddy Waters, Melvin Taylor, Howlin'Wolf. Gtateful Dead as well, especially early Dead, when they played more Blues. throw in a little Led Zepplin, and some old school rap like Run DMC, and the Beastie Boys. as long as it is live music i am good to go. as for my favorite song thats a tough one, there are too many good tunes out there to choose from.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Maybe not that widely known, but if you like metal & fantasy (yea, that can actually be mixed), Blind Guardian is the best.
    Tons of songs about Lord of the Rings, Gandalf, epic battles from LOTR etc. Ever since I've heard it first, I've was addicted. Heck, I'm listening to it as I'm writing this. :cool:

4. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

My favorites are: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Cream, Beastie Boys, Grateful Dead, Eve6, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Moody Blues, Metallica, Barenaked Ladies, and Eminem. btw Taluntain, I've heard Blind Guardian, its good but not great. My favorite songs are: Californication (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd), One Week (Barenaked Ladies), and Slim Shady (Eminem).

5. Wingfoot Guest

Egg, you have some good taste in music.

i have heard Blind Guardian once, not too bad. Tolkien is everywhere. there is a Led Zepplin tune with a line in it that goes something like this:

"In the deepest depths of Mordor i met a woman so fair.." i cant remember the name of the tune off hand. anybody know this song?

[This message has been edited by Wingfoot (edited September 08, 2000).]

6. I like a lot of the 70s/80s metal bands.
    AC/DC, Kiss, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, etc.

I have been listening to some "mellow" music for the past few years. Stuff that is slow but heavy: Pink Floyd, Alice in Chains, Tool.
    Anyone know of anything else along the same lines that I can check out? I don't follow the music scene at all so I don't know what's out there.

My absolute favorite CD is "Jar of Flies" by Alice in Chains. I love every song on it. Although when I first got it I hated most of it, then it grew on me, and it became my favorite.

My favorite "fantasy" songs:
    Neon Knights, Children of the Sea - Black Sabbath
    Temple of the King, Stargazer, Man on the Silver Mountain - Rainbow (I'm not sure if MOSM really qualifies but its a kick ass tune!)
    The Oath, Under the Rose - Kiss (these are from Music From the Elder, and album that is so Un-Kiss like that I had trouble believing it was them.)
    Hall of the Mountain King - Savatage
    A lot of early Overkill stuff
    There are lots more, I just can't think of any right now.

[This message has been edited by Lord Balduran (edited September 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Lord Balduran (edited September 08, 2000).]

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Sorry, make that Wingfoot, the LZ song you were talking about is Ramble on. Zepplin has a whole lot of JRR references in their music. Check out this website. http://www.auburn.edu/~speedhe/ It has a lot of info on the connection between the man are their music.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited September 08, 2000).]

8. Wingfoot Guest

thanks Voltric. BTW that was me wondering about that Zep tune, i'll have to check out that sight.

9. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

My other favorites I neglected to mention are: I Dissappear (Metallica), and White Room (Cream). The worst is certainly all the boy bands, and so called divas. They're all just fresh-faced punks.

10. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] Voltric, thats a cool sight. i knew a few tunes were related to Tolkien's works, but not as many as i saw there. and i was just looking around for some Zepplin guitar tab, and low and behold, that site has a few. there are some rather accurate Tabs too.
    thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Wingfoot (edited September 09, 2000).]

11. Wingfoot Guest

damn Egg and i pegged you for a Backstreet Boys fan. ;)

i agree with that Egg man, there kinda like Hirerlings, in it for the money.

12. I am going to agree with the Eggman here.

I dislike almost anything that is known only for the singer. The reason?
    "Back up" bands are only there to provide a beat, not to do anything original or innovative. You never hear anyone say "Man that Mariah Carreys guitarist is pretty wicked". It's crap. The singers themselves are usually quite good, but the band could be replaced with any other band in the world and you wouldn't notice the difference.

13. SickBoy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] nothing but good bands mentioned so far but i noticed nobody's taken the time to point out some of the newer bands that are really breaking new ground. my current favorite right now is slipknot. i mean how can you go with 9 guys!!! great guitar hooks and riffs, sampling is excellent, scrathing is intense, and the drumming.....well there's 3 percussionists so it can be pretty intense. just my 2 cents though........

14. Since we are on the subject of music, I thought I would ask a question.

I was banned from Napster for having 2 Metallica songs (that I ripped from my own cd). Personally, I think Metallica should have been forced to work with Napster to develop (at thier own expense) a filter that will prevent people from accessing Metallica songs while still allowing them access top Napster. But that
    's another issue, and not what I wanted to talk about.

My problem is that, although I removed the Metallica songs from my PC, completely uninstalled, re-downloaded and reinstalled Napster with a new user id and a new e-mail, I still can't get in!
    I went to the site listed on the "banned by Metallica" page and it had some BS about how I had to fill out a form and send my name and address to Metallicas lawyer. I am NOT even considering doing this.

So does anyone know how to get around this other than giving my personal info to some shyster? Does Napster store something on my hard drive telling them to ban me? Any help would be appreciated.

I would like to sample songs (and some bands mentioned on this site) without paying money for a cd and then finding out I don't like it. Please help!

P.S. Does anyone know where I can get a "Metallica sucks" T-shirt?

15. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Just forget about napster, there are other sites that have mp3 downloads, just search around.

16. Fat Egg, please name some of these sites!
    I found one called mp3.com, but all they do is copy music you ALREADY HAVE from a CD onto thier site so you can listen to it.
    You can't listen to anyone else's music.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If you do, send them over to him in e-mail please. Wouldn't want to start a mp3-peddling sites topic here. Not that I have anything against that, but it'd spread to warez and the kind sooner or later.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited September 10, 2000).]

18. hooligan_inc Guest

So, what do you guys think is the best warez site on the net, then? Hmm?

19. Taluntain

Media:
    hooligan_inc, if I didn't know you better I'd think you're pushing it. Don't. Horrible things can happen to little boys who are bad.

20. hooligan_inc Guest

[cowering into corner]: kidding!Kidding!KIDDING!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.