1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My Laptop is better than you Desktop!

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Remember the "good ol' days" when laptops were the size of large briefcases and when compared to a desktop, they ran about 1/2 as fast as the desktop? Those days are gone. My friend just sent me an email with pictures of his new "company" laptop (he is an independent computer repair technician and a website designer). He told me that he needed a laptop that matched the image of his company and the way he works, so he bought an Alienware laptop. This thing puts all other laptops to shame...as well as a lot of desktops out there. He is an avid bragger...especially to me, but this time I have to give him credit.

To prove that his new Alienware Area-51m 7700 is better than your desktop, here are some of the features in his laptop...I looked through Alienware's website, and there are some "better" options that he could have gotten for his laptop, but for some reason he didn't...but that's beside the point...on to the list!

Processor: Pentium 4 560 (3.6GHz with HT technology)
    Chipset: Intel 915P(NB) + ICH6(SB)
    Mobile Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Go 256MB - Which is a PCI Express card
    RAM: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 (PC2-4200)
    Hard Drive: TWO 40GB SATA hard drives in RAID 0
    Optical Drive #1: 24x10x24 CDRW/8X DVD Combo
    Optical Drive #2: 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW/24X CDRW

I don't know about you, but having two hard drives in a laptop is a first for me...the same goes for the two stacked optical drives. 4GB of RAM is just overkill...even for a desktop, but I guess he needs (or wants) that much for what he does. PCI express in a laptop is nice...that way you can use the 6800 video card...I don't know if Alienware offers the user interchangeable graphics card on the Area-51m 7700, because I know for a fact that he doesn't like nVidia...so he would probably upgrade the video card to ATI's new mobile PCIe card as soon as it's released.

Needless to say, I am green with envy. He's coming to the next LAN party with it, and I know it's going to blow all the other computers there away. :bang: :rolling:

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If it wasn't for te 4GB of RAM, my computer would probably outperform that. :wail:

Overclocked Athlon 64 3400+ @ 2.412 ghz

1GB Corsair XMS DDR 400

X800 Pro overclocked @ 506mhz

SCSI 18GB Seagate Cheetah 15,000 rpm + Western Digital 60GB 7,200 rpm.

Edit: At least mine was probably cheaper by 2,000 bucks or so. :yum:

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, my hard disk is bigger. And that's it. The processor is probably twice faster than mine (I have a Celeron 2.4 Ghz here) and he has 8 times as much RAM as I do. Not to mention my crappy TNT2... Yeah, even laptops are faster than my Old Man.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *drools*

guh... gaga.... want!

*huggles her Jenova* Feel like adopting, dear?

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmmm, I'm not sure I understood a single word in this thread (other than the part about how laptops used to be the size of briefcases...actually they used to even bigger......)

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    It fails to amaze me, tomorrow there will be something better, and the day after that it will be completely outdated, congratulations mr. webdesigner, you just paid a fortune for a computer that is going to be outdated in a few minutes.

7. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

/shrug
    Well I got a computer not much worse for $1700 Australian. mwahahahahaha.... @ Morgoth: :D Yep, that's right. Fortunately, the IT revolution has to slow down..

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You should know by now that it is not the size that matters, but how you use it.

And Arabwel... I'm certain you do not need to drool after any Old Men. ;)

9. Arabwel

Media:
    Wirhe; do you see locusts?

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If you mean those small, buzzy sounding creatures that look like fairies, then yes; I see them every day. Pesky little cretins always pulling my ears...

Why...? :hmm:

11. Arabwel

Media:
    Signs of apocalypse, Wirhe, signs of apocalypse...

12. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

/me grabs a mop to wipe up big puddle of drool

For the moment, that is an amazing laptop...

/me starts to drool again...

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Excellent point, Morgoth! I couldn't agree more. The other way of looking at it is that in a few minutes time, it will be half the price.

14. Rednik Gems: 21/31

10 bucks says he spills coffee on it. ;)

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Coffee? Nay, if anything it would be Mt. Dew...like me, he is an addict. :rolling:

16. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one addicted to that crap.

17. Arabwel

Media:
    Me thre... err, four?

as it is, most tech becomes obsolete the moment you step out of the store (and thus two weeks before delivery....) but at the moment, I am forced to wipe drool off the keyboard over that laptop...

*looks at jenova* Stoop glaring! It's not as if I am actualölly plannin gto get one... *sigh*

Am I the only one with a jealous computer?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.