1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My latest character [feedback welcomed]

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Faragon, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Players from Stefan Frijter's campaign should leave immediately, because of spoilers :)

(I'm shooting for Wizard5/Mage of the Arcane Order7/Fighter1/Runesmith5/Archmage2 as the end-build.)

- - -

Hedge Emberward (True Neutral Dwarven Male)
    Abjurer 5 / Mage of the Arcane Order 3

STR 10 +0
    DEX 15 +2
    CON 18 +4
    INT 19 +4 (21 +5 due to headband)
    WIS 15 +2
    CHA 7 -2

Hitpoints: 36 +7d4 hitpoints
    ArmorClass: 18 (3 dexterity, 5 armor. Buffable to 31)
    Saves:
    • Fortitude +7 (2 base, 4 con, 1 luck)
    • Reflex +9 (2 base, 2 dex, 1 luck, 2 familiar, 2 armor)
    • Will +10 (7 base, 2 wis, 1 luck)
    Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven, Draconic, Aquan, Terran

Skills
    Alchemy +18 (11 ranks, +4 int, +1 amulet)
    Concentration +25 (11 ranks, +4 int, +1 amulet, +10 ring)
    Craft stone +12 (5 ranks, +4 int, +1 amulet, +2 racial)
    Knowledge Arcana +16 (11 ranks, +4 int, +1 amulet)
    Listen +4 (+2 wis, +2 familiar)
    Scrying +16 (11 ranks, +4 int, +1 amulet, +2 scrying kit)
    Spellcraft +26 (11 ranks, +4 int, +1 amulet, +10 ring)
    Spot +4 (+2 wis, +2 familiar)

Feats
    Scribe Scroll (free), Spellcasting Prodigy [Wizard], Spell Focus [Evocation], Sudden Still, Cooperative Casting, Sudden Silent.

Spells known
    0th (4/day) - all
    1st (7/day) - Featherfall, Spiderclimb, Enlarge, Shield, Comprehend Languages, Grease, Pr. from Evil, Magic Missile
    2nd (6/day) - Protection from Arrows, Blindness/Deafness, Shatter, Mirror Image, Rope Trick
    3rd (5/day) - Dispel Magic, Haste, Flashburst, Fireball
    4th (4/day) - Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Evard’s Black Tentacles, Polymorph Other

Inventory
    Dwarven Waraxe
    Headband of Intelligence +2
    Hooded Cloak of Resistance +1
    Mithril Shirt ‘Norring’ (+1 and Twilight enhancement. Agility Special Ability from OA, granting +2 reflex saves)
    Ring of Aldym Damarthe (+10 to Concentration and Spellcraft checks)
    Belt of Concious Effort (Concentration check instead of Fortsave, 1/day)
    Spellcomponent Pouch

Heward’s Handy Haversack
    Money (1025 gp)
    Primary Spellbook
    Secondary Spellbook
    Weasel Familiar
    Trail Rations (10x)
    Silk rope (50ft)
    Container of Vodare (drugs that gives a euforic state)
    Flask of honeywine
    Scrying Kit (+2 scrying checks)
    Pearls (Component for Identify)
    Spellpool Focus (Material Focus for Spellpool ability.)
    Potion of Waterbreathing
    Scroll-organizer
    ˚ Scroll of Glitterdust
    ˚ Scroll of See Invisibility
    ˚ Scroll of Fly
    ˚ Scroll of Phantom Steed
    ˚ Scroll of Tongues
    ˚ Scroll of Protection fr.Elements
    ˚ Scroll of Spell Vulnerability

Personality description: (Consists of three personalities)
    Hedge (TN) is the personality that is generally in control. He is a caustic character, often finding humour in irony or sarcasm. While he is the dominating presence, his force of will isn’t terribly strong. He is merely a by-product of the constant struggle between Morigard (the original persona) and Snaga-Thrak’uk (the invading presence). As such, his moods and reasoning shifts regularly, making it hard for even himself to predict how he’ll act or react. When Hedge fears the evil presence is gaining more control, he tends to cast a Protection from Evil spell on himself, which temporarily weakens it, helping Hedge remain in control. During that time, he tends to use a highly addictive drug called Vodare (BoVD 43) which leaves him in a slightly euphoric state. It gives him a fierce confidence as long as it lasts. Over the years he has learned how to make the drug himself, saving him the trouble of finding a dealer. Also, he has altered his samples of Vodare to affect dwarves specifically. The dosage is several times more potent than the regular, to take the dwarven’s ability to withstand intoxication into account. He uses the drug to avoid the constant ongoing struggle with himself, escaping the mental strain even if just for a few hours.
    Morigard (LG) is the slumbering personality, only surfacing when the need is most dire. He is honourable, dutiful and compassionate. He’s constantly vigilant against the presence of Snaga-Thrak’uk, much like he would be against corporeal enemies.
    Snaga-Thrak’uk (CE) is the invader’s presence bent on dominating wherever he can. He will attempt to seize control during any moment of weakness. He is deceitful, power-hungry and arbitrarily violent. This makes him very unpredictable.

2. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There are several errors in your feat section.

1. You need Armor Proficiency (Light) for using a mitrahl chain shirt without penalties.

2. Before choosing sudden metamagic feats you need to know the relevant standard metamagic feat. In your case Silent Spell and Still Spell.

Also, I'd begun with a figther level and then started to become a wizard. That way, the char could use he armour already.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Actually, the penalties a chain shirt gives are negated completely by the fact that it's mithril and the twilight enhancement. That's a small bit of uhm, creative cheese making I slipped in there. Couldn't resist. *cough* :grin:

The sudden metamagic feats Still and Silent don't have any prerequisites. At least, not in my version of complete arcane :)

Since the boards were wonky while I was posting that, here's the continuation:

Background:
    * * * Abridged version of “Capehold, isle of dwarves” by Niz Fizbizzle. * * *

Capehold is a crescent shaped island made up largely of a slumbering vulcano’s mountainside, part of which has caved in on itself many years ago; even before the days of the dwarven founding fathers of Capehold. The north side of the isle is naught but hard rock, eroded from the continuous battering of waves and wind. The south however, sheltered from the northern onslaught by the mountain, consisted of a calm bay with fish aplenty and a thin strip of beach between sea and stone. It was there that the refugee Bofim Tenrim began cutting his city out of the mountain rock, styling himself King of Capehold.
    Years passed and the crown was passed on, until it graced the head of King Alsun Tenrim. It was during his reign, that the kingdom of Capehold came to an end. With the threat of economic isolation and even the unspoken threat of war by the archipelageo of Ilyapato, he conceded to hand over his kingly crown and take up a steward’s sceptre. Taxes were imposed, but traderoutes were opened. A chance for the city of Capehold to bloom.

* * * Introduction * * *
    A walk on the beach. Hand in hand. Feeling slightly nervous. She’s so beautiful. Flipping a tortoise back on its belly. Waves crashing against the rocks. A shove against my shoulder, seawater running into my boots. Her cheerful laughter. Soaked socks. The taste of salt and a perfectly groomed beard now dripping wet. Her smiling face. That gorgeous smile, turning to fear. Webbed claws. A shriek. Going under. No breath, panic. Hard scales, seawood ropes. No breath. No breath! Air bubbling up. Stopping.

Blurry conciousness comes with bound wrists and feet. Under water but not drowning. Far off chanting, yet closeby. A clawed hand on my head. Hard scales, whispers in my mind. Must resist. Panic. So strong, mustn’t give in. Dark waters. Dark eyes. Dark souls! Dominating, no way out. Darkness. All consuming darkness. “You belong to me.” Mustn’t give up. “Resisting only makes it worse.” Caving in, too much pressure. “That’s it.” Going under.

Going under...

* * * Through his eyes * * *
    (This chapter is under construction. It deals with Morigard being under the dominating influence of the Sahuagin Priest Snaga Thrak'uk. Morigard betrays Capehold against his will by opening the gates to Sahuagin raiders. They attempt to retreive a Relic of Sekolah which was lost to them, found in a submerged temple recently discovered by the delving dwarves. The raid fails and Morigard's role has been found out. Taking him for a traitor, he's thrown in jail. It isn't until a Magery Overguild Wizard, a human by the name of Aldym Damarthe, takes an interest, that the mental domination is discovered. When he attempts to dispel it, he manages to create an opening for Morigard to engage in a battle of wills with the sahuagin in his skull. Morigard invades Snaga's mind as much as he does to him, binding the two together, neither fully controlling their own or eachothers actions. Aldym takes the young dwarf from prison, to attempt to free him of his bond with the Sahuagin priest completely.)

* * * Battles without for battles within * * *
    For seven years, I was kept under the supervision of the Magery Overguild. I must say, that time was rather confusing. Some treated me like a victim, others like a criminal. Neither approach was particularly enjoyable. Once the mages found out my experience with assisting dad as he worked magic into swords and armours, it didn’t take them long to begin burying me with books on matters arcane. ”Good to keep your mind focussed”, they said. I suppose that was true. I’m not sure whether it was their intent to school me as a wizard but if they did, they succeeded. When I reached adulthood, I figured I had stayed there long enough. While packing my bags, one of the flimsy apprentices chided me. “You have not been given leave. The master will know of this.” So what if he did?

Stepping unto the boat with which I had arranged passage to Capehold, a stern voice bellowed ”Stand where you are, Morigard Tenrim!”. Annoyed, I turned to face Aldym Damarthe. He was the human wizard assigned to my teaching. My warden, my jailer. Which is funny, since he pulled me out one in the first place. My current prison didn’t have nearly as many rats though. But no matter how soft the pillows, if you’re not free to do as you please it’s still a prison.
    Anyway, Aldym Damarthe… Not a bad fellow, but so damned dutiful. He hardly ever calls me Morigard, only when he feels I need some sense beaten into me. It didn’t take long for him to mockingly start calling me ‘Hedge’, short for Hedgehog. So I’ve got a prickly personality eh? If he thought I’d just ball up he was sadly mistaken. I took that name and made it my own. Try and mock me with it then. Of course, this did mean I was stuck with the nickname. It could’ve been worse, I suppose. Not much, but I could come up with a few.

Calmly, Aldym continued:”Hedge, you know very well you cannot leave. Come with me.” I sneered back at him ”None of you can hold me, none should dare!” more angrily than I had wanted to. Embarrassed by my own words, I stammered ”Today is my birthday. I am considered an adult amongst my people from this day forth.” Less doubtful, I said: ”I make my own decisions.” Aldym considered this for a moment, then said “Very well. You say you are a man grown. Can you bear the responsibilities of one? Can you guarantee me that you …” He fell silent for a second then pleaded: ”Come Hedge, let us discuss this elsewhere.” I felt a satisfactory grin forming as I said ”Certainly, step aboard” mockingly. Aldym looked at me, one eyebrow raised, then grinned himself and said as he walked up the plank ”Certainly. A most excellent idea.” I felt my grin fade and a scowl grow.

As I stared intently at the ship’s planks in avoidance of his arguments, he continued ”You know… that little quip just now is enough proof that you still do not fully control yourself. You know why I must do this, Hedge. You know what it is I fear.” I nodded in yielding agreement. I couldn’t help but acknowledge the fact that control over myself was still slippery, despite all these years. Despite all my efforts, our efforts, I could still feel the darker half of me slipping through occasionally.

”Slap chains and a gag on me if you insist on keeping me here. If not, stand back and let me live.” Of course, if he was to try and chain me I’d go down fighting. But this was Aldym. He’d let me have my way as far as Overguild regulations could possibly allow it. Soft-hearted fool. But a good one. He nodded and clasped his hands behind his back. ”I suppose it’s only civilized to let you celebrate your adulthood with your family. Very well, Capehold it is.”

* * * Foreclosure * * *
    Home was not as I had left it. Guards now patrolled the docks, which had been expanded, holding more fisher’s boats than ever before. Since it’s doubtful that Capehold had the ambition to out-muscle the rest of the Archipelageo’s fish market, the most logical conclusion would be that Capehold was thriving. Obviously, my father was doing quite well for himself. For a moment, I felt hurt that he had never come to visit me. It didn’t linger, as I realized his predicament. Belten was to succeed him as Steward and would cling to his heels every minute of the day. Mother died giving birth to Imgret and she … I’m not sure what her reasons for staying away were. But yeah, I suppose my father couldn’t have left. Still, a card or some flowers would’ve been nice.
    Homecoming went smoothly. No parading through town, no long boring speeches and no toasts to my glory. Just a hooded cloak disguising my features and entrance through a side-door. Quite honestly, I was beginning to appreciate Aldym’s suggestions more and more. Not that he needs to know, but still. Simply dropping in and saying “Hey dad, I’m home” seemed a bit rude, so Aldym went ahead while I waited in the lobby like a simple servant. Bah. Funny how the old habits of a lordling return as soon as he sets foot back on his land.

The only one to greet me in the family hall was Imgret. How peculiar, I had expected father and Belten here as well. She was overjoyed to see me, but it didn’t last. Father had died recently, she told me, far too early in his years. He was found dead, floating in the submerged caverns far below Capehold. Word is he slipped and fell into the water, the weight of his armor pulling him down. Tears filled my sister’s eyes and I felt uncomfortable with it all. She muttered: ”Father was not so thickheaded as to go near deep water in armor. But that’s what’s said anyway.” She steadied herself with a big gulp of wine and a few minutes of silence, which I spent staring dumbly at the wall. Eventually, she continued: ”I want to hear all about how you’ve been doing, but I understand if you want some time to yourself. Belten hasn’t been quite himself since father’s death. He is steward now, but I fear it is wearing him down. Will you speak with him? He’s closed himself off to me.” I nodded slowly once I had finally pried myself loose from her clutching arms.
    Without thinking my feet led me to my old chamberdoorst. One decently sized room in the higher chambers of Capehold, cut out of the rocks of the mountain base. There was a window opening in the mountain side to let the light in. Despite the late hour, you could see the entire bay from there thanks to the full moon. Everything in my room had been left in proper order, as it should. ”Father’s work.” I muttered, looking at how perfectly my bed was made up. ”He didn’t give up hope.”

“Oh Morigard, you sentimental fool” a voice spoke behind me. I froze instantly. A dwarf, several inches taller than me closed the door behind him. ”I didn’t believe it at first. But he could tell you came back. He sensed you.” He paused for a second. ”You’ve got something we need.” I took a step backwards, wondering who it was that recognized me. Hell, who it was that dared speak to me in such a fashion, and in my own chambers! Surely dad didn’t listen to those idiot reformists who preached equality for all? For a moment I blinked. I had been one of those idiot reformi… The thought was quickly replaced when I recognized him. ”Belten, how are you?” I pondered about what he just said for a moment, then said ”What are you talking about?”
    He smiled queerly as he said ”Oh, you know. Business.” Something was awry here. I could feel it. When I heard the soft thumps of webbed feet flapping on the floor behind me, I was certain. The jolting pain of a stab wound kinda gave it away as well. Despite suddenly feeling lightheaded, I wheeled around to look at my attacker. A blur of green scales, fangs and deep black eyes swirled before me as. “Sahuagin!” I heard myself cry out. My vision blurred as I begun to slip into unconciousness. There was a nagging thought in the back of my head, refusing to let go and be at peace. Sweet sleep.
    Had I lost my wits? The belt, fool. The belt! With all my mind’s power I reached for it. Only the slightest touch was enough. With terribly confronting reality, I suddenly shook off the sleep thanks to the belt’s magical prowess. I stood slumped against the wall, bleeding from my left leg. By the window stood the Sahuagin, armed with a black trident. Belten stepped forward, intent on replaying one of our childhood’s wrestling matches, no doubt. ”Give it up, you’re outnumbered” I heard him growl. No time to think. Time to survive. I took a step sidewards and burst into spellcasting. ”Funny, I was about to say the same thing.” I quipped as multiple copies of me stepped forward.

As the Sahuagin stabbed fervently into one of the copies, I realized I could not afford to get stabbed by that trident again. One dose of it was quite enough, if you ask me. However, getting headlocked by Belten wouldn’t be particularly enjoyable either. Greasing up his arms ought to make clinching me all the harder. He sneered: ”Snaga-Thrak’uk wants you. And he will have you! Now be a good little boy and give up, so he can perform the ritual.” The Sahuagin lurched at another figment, stabbing it in the abdomen. Had that been me, I would not have been feeling well for quite some time.

I couldn’t help but laugh maniacly. The fools. How dared they. How dared they try this with me, WITH ME! Angrily, I clasped my hands together and brought them back to my side. I felt the flame ignite in my hands and let it grow for a few seconds before I placed it in the middle of the room. Such a shame, 7 years of keeping my chambers in proper order and I’m wracking it up again the first night I get back. The ball of fire roared as it expanded, sending a strong burst of flame flying out of the window. I smelled singed hair, but decided mourning my beard could wait. More importantly, I could see the Sahuagin blinking dumbly, temporarily blinded by the sudden blast of light. I’m pretty certain Belten didn’t particularly enjoy it either, judging from the agonized screams of pain and horror as he made for the window, engulfed in flames. After taking the axe from my belt, I placed it firmly between the creature’s blinking eyes. It died a twitchy death. Having a few inches of solid steel embedded into your cranium tends to have that effect.
    Following Belten outside, I could see him make for the waves. He jumped in to quench the flames. As he emerged I felt the need to ask for the obvious.”Now, be a good brother and tell me. Did you drown him or did you let your webbed friends do it?” The scowl on Belten’s face was all the answer I needed to justify my further course of action. The fact that he bolted and ran down the beach shouting for guards didn’t really help though.

* * * Case number 43988y: Morigard Tenrim, son of Alsun Tenrim. * * *
    The offendant has been charged with the following crimes:
    ∙ Treason against Capehold City
    ∙ Murder of Steward Belten Tenrim

- Eye witness report (A)
    [Barlor Stoutbelly, City Guard. Offduty during the incident] ”Saw it with my own eyes, I did. I was out drinking on the beach with my love, we didn’t even have that much to drink. Only 11 or 12 beers. Anyway, I was nearly run over by our new Steward. Kicked sand up in my beard, he did. I didn’t recognize him at first, else I would’ve never called him a … Uhm, right. As he ran on and I got to my feet, I was nearly knocked over by another. Would you believe it? I was standing, hanging backwards on my heels, arms flailing. The lad didn’t even say sorry or anything. He limped on and then pauzed. I thought he was taking a breath, but he began to wave his arms about and… well, I’m only a simple guardsman, sir, but I believe he cast a spell at our steward. Sir Belten crashed right into one of those big rocks as if he didn’t see it coming! Will you believe it? He was groping at it with his hands, frantically looking for a way to escape, I think. At this point, I’d grabbed the stone mug we’d been drinking from. I didn’t know what exactly that other guy intended, but couldn’t be much good, I thought. Again, he waved his arms about, but this time nothing flashy happened, just a loud ’crack’ near our Steward. Wasn’t going to wait for more though, so I slammed the mug into the back of the little guy’s head. Knocked him right down onto his knees, for sure.

But … well, like I said, I don’t know much about magic. All I know is I saw the rock burst into pieces, one big chunk falling right onto the Steward’s head. I decided to pound the unknown lad through the sand, but by then it was too late for our young Steward. And such a shame too. Losing two Stewards in a month’s time. It just ain’t right sir. And now the word over the pints is, it was Morigard Tenrim that did it. Poor young miss Imgrett. Nothing good can come from this, for sure.”

Witness has been screened and found to be telling what he believes is the truth, as confirmed by Moradin’s priests Runecall and Southworth.

- Evidence piece A:
    Found in the chambers of Morigard Tenrim, one dead Sahuagin. Presumably an ally of Morigard Tenrim.

- Hypothesis:
    Belten Tenrim, after finishing the day’s work, decided to visit his returned brother. Upon finding Morigard Tenrim plotting with a member of the Sahuagin race, Sir Belten is immediately attacked by the traitor and his ally. Sir Belten managed to kill the Sahuagin with an axe, but is eventually forced to seek the aid of the city guard after being forced to flee by a window. As he ran to the docks looking for help, he was attacked with lethal magic. Sir Belten died immediately of his wounds inflicted upon him by his brother, Morigard Tenrim. Unanswered questions regarding the death of the victim’s father, Sir Alsun Tenrim who was also Steward of Capehold at the moment of his death, might be answered upon further investigation into the activities of Morigard Tenrim.

- Demanded punishment:
    Death by beheading. Failing that, lifelong incarceration in a solitary cell, stripped of titels and rights, to serve as example of what happens to traitors and kinslayers until All-Father Moradin sees fit to judge him in the afterlife.

* * * Hello me, it’s me. * * *
    What’s one to do while in prison? I’ve never been much for meditating, staring dumbly at the back of your eyelids. I preferred sleep. Without acces to my vodare, sleep was the best alternative. That, or a good book. Sadly, this cel seemed to be sorely lacking in the literary department. All the rats must’ve ate it. I woke up to an enormous crashing sound, and a panting Aldym saying: “Hedge, lad, we have to go. Water is rushing into the city, if we don’t get out of here we’ll drown!” Behind him and the remains of what used to be a prime quality steel inforced oaken door I could see the limp, hopefully unconcious form of my jailer.

The city, with it’s gates open had no form of defence against the onrushing waves. In all these years, there had never been a threat of such magnitude. The southern waters were always peaceful and calm. Many would die this night, that was sure. There was but one seaworthy vessel, that’d never be enough to evacuate the population with. I saw Aldym’s strained look and heard him say with the frustration in his voice ”We have to go, Hedge. There’s nothing we can do. I couldn’t get to the gates, the inrushing water is too strong.” He extended his hand out to me, waiting for me to grasp it. I knew what he intended. Teleport to safety. Abandon Capehold. Save our own miserable hides.
    There was nothing he or I could do. And yet... I thought of my old home and sighed. Taking a step towards Aldym, a shimmering burst into being between us. A shape surrounded by a faint glowing. I could see right through him. Aldym was still holding his hand out to me, silently screaming at me in slow motion. Time, being, seemed to slow. Then I realized, hey, he seems vaguely familiar…

I gasped as I recognized the face before me as my own. Curly hair framed my face and lay atop my chest in the form of a perfectly groomed beard. Two soft blue eyes gazed at me from underneath the heavy eyebrows. He, I, put a hand on my left shoulder. ”You have to go back. You HAVE TO! Duty demands it!” he spoke, his voice thick with emotion. I blinked, for this seemed horribly surreal. ”Damnit, HONOR requires you to get out there. Save those you can, you owe it to them. Father taught all of us that. We are there to guide our people, to shield them from harm. You cannot walk away from them in a time of such dire need!” And suddenly, I realized, he was right. By some strange notion which I had not felt for years I felt an obligation towards those sleeping dwarves, unaware of death creeping to their doorsteps. I nodded and wanted to step forward, past Aldym. The intention of storming off into Capehold, madly trying to save as many of my people as I could, burned brightly in the back of my mind. My people. It had been a long time since I’d thought like that.
    But as I turned, a violent shiver went through me. He was near, he, who caused me so much pain. I could feel him, riding the turbulent waves onto the beach. Cold webbed claws glowing with power. The salty drops of water dripping down from his face. He, the terror of my dreams, my cause for continuous struggle. My other half. I sagged down onto my knees and wept. I heard myself say ”Come, do not fear. There is work to do.” from behind me but I could not move. I wanted to, but dared not. Sweat broke out on my forehead and my hands began to shake. My thoughts were pulled towards him, he who wanted me. I … I had thought I knew what fear was. I suddenly recalled being tied down onto an altar, the ritual. No matter how hard the effort, blocking the images, the memories, seemed impossible. An incapacitating, mindnumbing fear roared through me like a fire.
    When I desperately clasped Aldym’s hand, I could hear the cries of damnation and betrayal. We materialized in front of my mentor’s mansion, but I … Morigard still stood there. Fists up in the air, shaking with fury. The ethereal me then fell to his knees while his hands went to his face in grief. He began to weep and slowly faded away under a starlit sky.

* * * Rise so high, yet so far to fall * * *
    (This chapter is still under construction. Aldym Damarthe grows old and grants Hedge complete freedom. In return, Hedge promises to serve as protector of House Damarthe. He applies for the Magery Overguild and is assigned as a field operative. The following chapters deal with his various activities as a Guild Mage.)

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

You mean this thing does not count as armour?

My bad. But you can use these feats only once per day each. Probably geared for sorcerers.

I like my version of arcane preparation better.

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Officially it does of course, it just has no spellcasting failure and no armor class penalty. Just weight. So while it's officially armour, you still get the penalties for wearing armour you're not proficient with. But since the penalties are effectively nothing...

Actually, since they're metamagic feats, they'd still cost the sorcerer a fullround action, iirc. They're perfect for a wizard. How do you know in advance you will need spell X silenced or stilled? You don't. Even if you did, how many spells a day would you memorise stilled or silenced? Probably not more than one or two. Sudden Silent and Sudden Still are perfect for a wizard, because they allow versatility. You can apply the effect to any memorised spell, at any moment, without any extra cost attached to it.

In case you read the background, what'd you think of it?

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

That sounds really cheesy. But if your GM allows it...

I read the first part. The other ist to long. :p

I like the idea with the three personalities. Its rather novel. You can talk to yourself if anyone else doesn't want to. ;)

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I know, it IS cheesy. Like I said, I couldn't resist. Of course, this is a DM that sends three dragons with force based breath weapons at you at level 12 ;) (That was the first TPK, after a series of other deaths) so I can live with using a little cheese. Not proud of it though. Not sure if he'll allow it, I think I'll find out this weekend :p (Just sent him my sheet)

Too long? Fah! You kids with short attention spans nowadays ;) (j/k.)

The character doesn't actually talk to himself. (well, not much) It's more that Hedge is the dominant persona whose actions and mentality are influenced by the other two. (he's basically a byproduct of their struggle for control) Of course, this does allow for the DM to decide that one of the subpersonas comes into control, ie the party will suddenly either have a very LG wizard riding with them, or one more edging towards CE :p (Though I'll play it as intelligent CE, not "I will kill everything in my path as I please" since that's StupidEvil :grin: )

[ November 04, 2005, 19:04: Message edited by: Faragon ]

8. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Kid? *cough* And this from someone who was born in the eighties. ;)

Oookaaayy. Just remind me not to play in your group if it ever comes down to that. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.