1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My love for Halflings is driving me insane!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Rolsuk Fryulee, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I didn't get IWD2 yet, and I all ready have a problem. You see, it doesn't make sense for a halfling to be a monk and halflings can't use magic. Unless you use the old "Village was attacked and your mother put you in a basket in a river, and you were found by monks and raised as there own, story." But that only works so many times, and it doesn't make explain a halfling socerer does it? A halfling Barbarian would be pretty crazy, and wouldn't be really good either.

So why don't I just make some elves or gnomes instead? Well, you see I love halflings for some reason, and gnomes and dwarves are just fat! Halflings only make sense as fighters, thieves or clerics. And yet, I still want a halfling monk (which would look pretty funny when fighting a giant :D ) and a halfling sorcerer. I want to have a halfling comany with all the good classes.

So now, I'll just have to make elves or dwarves or somthing (sigh). If anyone has a good story that would make sense of a halfling being a monk or any other class, would you please tell me. Or if I should forget the whole halfling monk thing. Any advice would be welcome.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] IIRC IWD-2 will allow every race and subrace to choose every class. So halflings will probably be allowed to be whetver they want - :) even wizards, sorcerers, rangers, bards, barbarians and yes, monks.

[ August 30, 2002, 20:55: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

3. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

Thanks but I alredy knew that. The thing is halfling monks and sorcerers and such don't exist in the Forgotten realms. Halflings can't use magic, they just don't have the gift. I want to keep this as true to the Forgotten realms as posible. I might be able to use the halfling raised by monks, rangers, or barbarians story but it would really make sense. Thats my problem. So if anyone has any way to makes sense of it all, please tell me.

[ August 30, 2002, 21:19: Message edited by: Rolsuk Fryulee ]

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think Halflings should be allowed to be Mages because a mage is not born, he is made. He gains his power through knowledge. A sorcerer is born magical though. I think it is perfectly acceptable for a halfling to be a mage.

5. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

Z-Layrex, you have a point, but in Forgotten realms, Halfling can't even be mages. They just can't use magic. Well that's what I've heard.

Thanks for the encouragement though. :)

If anyone has heard a such a thing in Forgotten realms plese tell me. Anymore ideas are welcome.

[ August 30, 2002, 21:26: Message edited by: Rolsuk Fryulee ]

6. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Yeah know that's what the FR says but they are really getting tied up in their own words. If going by their mage description any intellegent creature can be a mage.

7. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

Well, maybe. I mean if kobolds can why can't halflings. But that doesn't explain monks, rangers, bards, or barbarians. Thanks agian.

Anymore ideas are welcome.

8. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

OK Halflings cannot be mages - bollocks.

Halaflings cannot be monks - good because i doubt a halfling could channel Ki very well.

Rangers - Bollocks, halflings would make very good rangers as they are small and hard to see in a wood.

Bards - bollocks. What's to stop a halfling waving around a sword, playing an instrument, telling storys and casting the odd mage spell.

Barbarian - good because halflings are gentle non-fierce folk and a barbarian relies on ferocity.

Wel this is what i think anyway.

[ August 30, 2002, 21:47: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

9. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

My thanks again, if anyone else has any ideas they would be welcome

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Plus, Willow Offgood of the Nelwyn was on his way to becoming a great sorcerer!!!!! So why can't halflings be mages?!?!? :p

11. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

Okay, okay so forget the Halfling mage thing. But any input on the other classes is welcome

12. Nallia Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The idea behind it is really that any race can be any class, though some classes would be extremely rare and unheard for many races. 3rd edition really just allows you to have that combination in exsistance, there might have been only one halfing monk in the whole forgotten realms universe, or only one gifted with the magical ability to be a sorcerer. But if even one can be a monk or sorcerer then the rules have to allow for it in some way.

When 3rd edition came out I promptly made my table top dark elf paladin, and transfered her in the IWD2, so, want to talk about rare, but its fun. I have a very long and involved background and story for her.

13. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

well, there are portraits of halfling monk, halfling ranger, and halfling mage in iwd. so i bet they are also in iwd2. that's reason enough. i mean if an artist can concieve that, why can't we make that a reality... at least in our own game.

14. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

What about Olive Ruskettle from "The Finder's Stone Trilogy"? She was a famous halfling bard and appeared in many novels of the Forgotten Realms. So that at least gives credence to halfling bards, doesn't it?! :cool: :eek: :aaa:

15. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

Yes that does. As and for a halfling Paladin, well there is only one and that is Ragusa.

16. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] I know it's pretty lame, but drawing from the Sorcerer's description: "...some sorcerers are said to have the blood of magical creatures in their veins, giving them Innate ability to cast magic.." or somesuch, so just say that far up their family, there was a magical creature or something (Dragon?).

The more acceptable way which I thought of, would be simply to say: Petro the Halfling was an adventurers, who met Angalia then Sorcererss, a human lady on the road, and after falling in love, had a child. Humphrick was born, and with him appeared the ability to cast minor cantrips, and after developing this ability with the aid of his mother, he can cast some minor mage spells.

I thought it was good....

17. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

My thanks Gopher.

18. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Well, actually the Ghostwise halflings favored class is barbarian, so it would make sense to create one of those...

Oh, and BTW. Where did you read the stuff about halflings not having the gift at all? Never came across that...

19. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

Well, the books, and a very reliable source.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.