1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My newly created D&D adventure

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Bateluer, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Well, we completed the trial run of my first D&D adventure. Lots of fun.

My Part of Players:

2nd lvl Half-orb Barbarian

1st lvl dwarven fighter

2nd lvl rogue and mage

1st lvl Cleric

I was a little nervous when the party encountered my first monsters, a group of 5 Orcs. LOL, the first strike from the Orcs vs the Barbarian was a natural 20, critical hit. The Orcs rolls a d12+3 for damage which is x3 for a critical hit. The 31 hp of the barbarian were no match for the Orcs' greataxe! He got waxed . . . had to plant a ressurection scroll in the hallway.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You do realize that a natural 20 is not a critical in D&D right? It's a threat. You need to make a critical roll to find out if the threat is a crit...

3. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

Huh? how do I do that? What page is it in the PHB/DMG?

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Top right column on page 123 of the PHB. Essentially you roll the D20 again with all the same modifiers; if you score a hit then the threat is a critical...

5. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

Ahhh, so I got my party's arse whupped up real bad because I boobooed . . . I had fun though.

[This message has been edited by Bateluer (edited April 19, 2001).]

6. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

Do you have to do a similar thing for a crit miss? That is, if a character rolls a '1' on his attack roll, do they have to roll and miss again to make it a crit miss?

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Hmmm... I don't recall anything about a critical miss, but a natural 1 is always a miss...

8. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

Hmm, when I watch the status screens in BG1/2 and IWD, they sometimes say Crit miss and the character will utter some negative phrases. Course thats 2e, I'll read up on it.

9. Wingfoot Guest

Well yea we used critical misses in 2e PnP. the character that rolled it would have to take a round to recover from a critical miss. lets say he whiffed so bad that he landed face 1st on the ground and had to pick himself up or something like that. i say if you use critical hits you should use critical misses even if that rule is not in the PHB.

[This message has been edited by Wingfoot (edited April 19, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Wingfoot (edited April 19, 2001).]

10. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well to start with I don't think I would have given the Orcs greataxes, not againist a 1st lvl party. Maybe short sword would have been more realistic. In addition you as the DM can always use the 'fudge' rule. i.e. a roll that would kill a PC doesn't. Just do less damage. I try not to kill of my PCs right at the start, unless they do something stupid.

Remember that D&D is high fantasy and the PCs are heros. Heros should die in glorious ways, or for being stupid. With the deaths door rules it's easy to put PCs down without killing them off.

11. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

Voltric, the MM lists the Orcs as having great axes, so thats what I used.

The pary was not all first lvl, some were used in a simple dungeon romp that I banged out in a few minutes and were lvl 2. The first lvl characters were created prior to starting the real adventure, they wanted to have a cleric and an exra fighter handy.

It was a lucky hit, they mopped up the floor with the next encounter, a handful of hobgoblins.

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

On the Critical Miss topic . . .

I don't remember seeing the rule in the books, but it makes the game interesting.

**Your mighty barbarian thunders his battle cry, hefts his war hammer over his head, and slips on a patch of blood.**

The result is that his hammer is stuck in a wall, the barbarian is on face in the mud, and the rest of the group is laughing their heads off!

13. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

You see, they needed that barbarian to get through the dungeon, its a glorified dungeon romp. I wanted to start fairly simple, but the story will evolve as I gain more experience DMing.

14. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Contgrats Batelur sounds like you had a little oops but you covered it fine!! Welcome to a new Dungeonmaster.

[This message has been edited by Capt. Tripps (edited April 23, 2001).]

15. Reeky thestenchful goblin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

what is the diff bettween a miss and a crit miss??????

:eek:
    :eek:

16. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Are you asking a legitimate question? If so a critical miss means something bad happens, you drop your weapon, you hit a friend in stead of your target, etc.

17. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I agree -- critical misses just add something extra to the game. Occasionally, when a player rolled a natural 1 to hit, aside from having to recover, I'd give a percent chance that their weapon broke ("Your swing your sword, completely missing the Orc in front of you, smashing it into the stone wall directly behind him -- incidently, you broke the tip!"). Normal weapons of course -- not magical or special weapons.

Of course, there's always DMs discretion -- sometimes it's funny, other times it lands the party in a whole whack of trouble. And if you make a mistake, that's o.k. (You're the DM -- maybe the party finds a resurrection scroll or something -- Wait! Just noticed you did that. Good call!) Sounds to me like you had a good time regardless. Good job, and welcome to the club.

Oh, a tip on fudging rolls: This is where a DM game screen comes in REAL handy -- the party can't see that the Orc with that great axe just rolled a 20, so they don't *know* what happens until you tell them. You just don't want to abuse it.

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited July 07, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.