1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My Pop-Up Blocker Has Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Rallymama, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    WARNING: DO NOT respond by telling me to use a different browser. It's not gonna happen, for a variety of reasons. Find someone else to preach to about the joys of your favorite non-MS product.

This sounds odd but it's the actual sequence of events, I swear:

Re-booted the machine yesterday after lunch. It gagged on something - I forget exactly which app it was.

Ran Ad-Aware after rebooting. Found 76 items. Removed them.

Immediately upon opening IE, I was plagued by pop-ups like I haven't been for several months. Prior to yesterday, the MSN toolbar was catching almost everything and I had no complaints.

Removed MSN toolbar and re-installed it. No luck.

This morning I removed MSN toolbar again and replaced it with Google toolbar. Still no luck. Ad-Aware found 84 new items this morning, less than 24 hours after the last time I ran it.

Any thoughts as to what might have happened, and how I can fix the problem given the restriction that I'm not changing browser?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's obviously some stuff on your PC Ad-Aware is not catching (could also be a virus, do you have a virus scanner?). There are several other anti-spyware programs out there for you to try, but a thread on this has been opened in this forum only a few days ago, so check that one.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I agree with Tal. It sounds like a trojan, or something may be on your system, letting adware in. Also, check the coolweb threads started here. This malware, and a few others like it, will often remain undetected, installing "secondary" files which cause the pop-ups etc. Ad-aware finds, and cleans, the secondary symptoms, but fails to catch the primary.

4. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Have you checked in msconfig under startup to see if there's some program that's starting up/installing itself every time you reboot. If it is then though you remove it with Ad-aware then it keeps coming back.

5. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Start up in safe mode, and use more than just Ad-aware. Once you're logged in and in safe mode, run both of the fully-updated malware removers and you should have "the win". :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Trying to resist, but there's no use. Rallymama, do not enter this link. Everyone else should.

http://browsehappy.com/

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

There is actually a type of spyware that stops popup blockers from working. I had this problem but I used spybot and ad-aware to remove these and other types of spyware.

Try www.download.com

8. Emmanuel Julius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

There is also Pop-Up Stopper Free Edition which might also be useful in stopping pop-ups...and you can get it here:

http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html

And maybe having a firewall might also help in case you don't have one...

9. Mulsis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

again, dunno how old this is, but in addition to adware, I'd try different spyware removal apps. Spysweeper is my favorite. You can get a 30 day free trial from www.webroot.com, or for a completely free one, find spybot 1.3 on www.download.com.

As always, update the definitions regularly.

P.S. since you are deadset on using IE, the google toolbar is hands down the best pop-up blocker there is, plus the google search engine is always with you.

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

She already used the Google toolbar and it can be disabled by certain types of spyware.

11. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You should use a different browser. Try Netscape or Mozilla. Really

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.